Discuss the Fusion Cannon's candidacy as the GOAT weapon

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

But it's not good enough if you can move out of the way.

I think you have to frot some more.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Okay, folks... let's get serious. Everyone here knows the GOAT weapon is the yellow flare from D1 and D2. :P
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Darth Wang »

Lothar wrote:Weapons that appear in all 3 games:

- Lasers
- Concussions
- Homers
- The V Cannons (if you consider vauss to be the logical continuation of vulcan)
- plasma
- smart missiles
- fusion
- mega missiles

IMO, weapons with homing properties aren't GOAT candidates because homing is lame. Also, anyone who played D1 or D2 open games is familiar with missile duplication, which is extra lame. So Homers, Smarts, and Megas are out.

Weapons that were ridiculously nerfed or changed too much from game to game aren't GOAT candidates either. D2's NerFusion and the change from Vulcan to Vauss remove both of those from consideration. Under this same argument, I'll remove lasers from consideration because of the 4 / 6 / 2 levels and the major color change. And I'll remove plasma because it was overly effective in D2, but slow and small and inconsistent ship-to-ship in D3.

Final verdict: Concussion Missiles for GOAT!
You forgot Proximity Mines
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I have to admit, the whole thing about goats is somewhat curious.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

d0ggY wrote:
Behemoth wrote: actually i've played since 95
Under which name, out of curiosity?
madman, i didn't play online which doesn't make much difference considering i haven't seen any of the players talking now play online since i got on around 2000.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm sure a lot of players didn't play online at first.

I started with D1 demo and didn't play multi til Oct 1997 using D2. Played D3 online from day 1 of the demo.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Here is a thought for anyone who cries about Trifusions GOATness
"Trifusion" can't be GOAT because it only exists in D3.

Moreover, "Fusion" can't be GOAT because it sucks in D2 (half damage compared to D1.)
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Sure the D2 fusion sux, but if you know how to use it, you can rack up a whole bunch of robots. I have video proof if anyone wants to see.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Ashes
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ashes »

NUMBERZero wrote:Sure the D2 fusion sux, but if you know how to use it, you can rack up a whole bunch of robots. I have video proof if anyone wants to see.
I do enjoy using fusion in D2 SP just for eyecandy, as well as napalm in d3. To a lesser extent, I use quad 3 in D1 a lot too, since I rarely hear it and used to like the sound a lot.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

anyone remember the cheat code for bouncing weapons in D2?
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Burlyman wrote:anyone remember the cheat code for bouncing weapons in D2?
here.
Djcjr1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Djcjr1 »

Nice little discussing here! Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Behe. You improved drastically in D1 since our first matches. Had I been around a bit longer, I think you would have bested me (D3.. well, that's a much different story).

Here's my opinion on the subject:

Fusion = GOAT? No, very close, though. Had it not been dumbed down in D2 I would agree.

Plasma = GOAT? I LOVE this weapon, but no. D3 changed my mind.

My nomination for the GOAT is Lasers. More specifically, the weapon you spawn with. How many times have you seen someone refuse to fight you because, \"I don't have a weapon!\". Oh yes you do, you were given one for free! Half of the people I've played against completely forgot that the starting package can actually do damage to other ships. After a fight I could be left with 10 shields, the other player spawns close enough for the 2 of us to immediately see each other, then they turn tail and nervously search for any weapon that's close. At that point I'll switch to Vulcan/Gauss/secondaries and light up their behind, putting them at low shields (if not dead) and STILL looking for weapons. Had they stood their ground and fought I'd be dead and they'd have all the \"weapons\".

So, in closing, Laser 1 is the most unappreciated weapon in all 3 games. The ONE weapon which can make or break a match.

..... Who am I kidding?? Fusion is the GOAT! :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Lasers: \"Most Underappreciated\"

Fusion: \"Greatest Of All Time\"

I think I can agree with that. :)
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Foil wrote:Lasers: "Most Underappreciated"
Ohhh, I concur
Quad supers are awesome. The only thing I don't like about them is they're kinda boring... but thats nonsense talk
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I love quad supes. They are perfect to switch to in the middle of a fusion dogfight. It breaks up the timing of the shots and sometimes you can rake the other ship across the side with a couple blasts from quads :) They're really quite powerful, too.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Took an unsuspecting fresh tank down in about 5 well placed quad supers.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Ashes
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ashes »

All of this talk about lasers has reminded me of one descenter who, upon seeing my flying, said \"Use the quads, Luke.\"

I think that might have been good advice.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Burlyman »

S13driftAZ wrote:
here.
what is this??
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

Burlyman wrote:
S13driftAZ wrote:
here.
what is this??
THIS, IS, PRICELESS!!

And my last post, I ment quad BLUEs.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Djcjr1 wrote:Nice little discussing here! Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Behe. You improved drastically in D1 since our first matches. Had I been around a bit longer, I think you would have bested me (D3.. well, that's a much different story).

Here's my opinion on the subject:

Fusion = GOAT? No, very close, though. Had it not been dumbed down in D2 I would agree.

Plasma = GOAT? I LOVE this weapon, but no. D3 changed my mind.

My nomination for the GOAT is Lasers. More specifically, the weapon you spawn with. How many times have you seen someone refuse to fight you because, "I don't have a weapon!". Oh yes you do, you were given one for free! Half of the people I've played against completely forgot that the starting package can actually do damage to other ships. After a fight I could be left with 10 shields, the other player spawns close enough for the 2 of us to immediately see each other, then they turn tail and nervously search for any weapon that's close. At that point I'll switch to Vulcan/Gauss/secondaries and light up their behind, putting them at low shields (if not dead) and STILL looking for weapons. Had they stood their ground and fought I'd be dead and they'd have all the "weapons".

So, in closing, Laser 1 is the most unappreciated weapon in all 3 games. The ONE weapon which can make or break a match.

..... Who am I kidding?? Fusion is the GOAT! :P
took the words out of my mouth, i agree with this one completely.
all you other punks get to swashin :)
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Burlyman wrote:
S13driftAZ wrote:
here.
what is this??
Its called using the search button
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

NUMBERZero wrote:
Burlyman wrote:
S13driftAZ wrote:
here.
what is this??
THIS, IS, PRICELESS!!

And my last post, I ment quad BLUEs.
lol, you haven't seen this before? :lol: You can get banned on some sites (moderator pref) for using this link. :wink:
Terminal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Terminal »

Fusion is the goat.

But I like using the EMD launcher in D3 because no one else uses it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Terminal Error wrote:Fusion is the goat.

But I like using the EMD launcher in D3 because no one else uses it.
People used to spam it in entertaining ways in various maps, but the people complaining about that type of usage got the range shortened in a patch which lead to people never using EMD with any frequency again...
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Huh, that was a waste of 30 minutes... (reading all five pages) like watching Gilligans Island reruns. :P
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

oh btw, if you can't get d2 fusion to get you kills then you suck as well.
fusion goat 96'!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Huh, that was a waste of 30 minutes... (reading all five pages) like watching Gilligans Island reruns.
Here's the Cliff's Notes version for anyone that doesnt feel like reading the entire thread:

Fusion is the Greatest Weapon of All Time. My logic in this argument is an unstoppable force that a few brave souls tried to challenge, but ultimately submitted to.

Now let us all end this great thread in harmonious agreement, so I can continue to make more intellectual points of discussion.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Im pretty sure that goatse is the greatest weapon of all time.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's sometimes easy to forget that there is another side to DT than the Maddox look-alike... :lol:
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I enjoy fusion much better than most of the other weapons mainly because i get one shot to silence my opponent while he's running around in a dogfight making mistakes left and right.

It's not nearly as tough for me to get 5-10 kills in a row using quads (blue OR super) and plasma, in fact, when i would get bored back about two years ago i'd just use blue lasers and charge into people and still own em.

To sum that up, i think it's a matter of what brings out more fun in the game for each individual, However i would not enjoy descent as much as i have if i hadn't had such a weapon as my trusty purple fusion generator cannon. :)

/Me just waiting till the army actually DOES develop pyros, i'd love to test that out :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Darktalyn1 wrote: Fusion is the Greatest Weapon of All Time. My logic in this argument is an unstoppable force that a few brave souls tried to challenge, but ultimately submitted to.
ergo: It's always easier to nuke someone than to take a foe down man to man in hand combat.

:P
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Behemoth wrote:I enjoy fusion much better than most of the other weapons mainly because i get one shot to silence my opponent while he's running around in a dogfight making mistakes left and right.
yeah, I remember that from the few games I had with you :oops:
but its true, fusion kills in a dogfight are the most rewarding of all.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I would like to see a game with Behemoth against Neitzl.

:D
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Who is he and whot doz he dew