WNFC (\"Wednesday. Night Fight Club\")

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

WNFC (\"Wednesday. Night Fight Club\")

Post by Foil »

This week's Wednesday Night Fight Club...

Keg Party!! (Anarchy, of course.) :D
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

What time is it going to be?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Whenever people join. Game is up already.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Tanks I tink.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Ah, probably a bit too early for me. It's only 3pm here and I don't get off work till around 7
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No worries. The WNFC games don't usually get going until at least 10PM (Eastern US) or so. :)
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I hope it's set for 20 humans and one DoG!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I managed to catch the last 2 games of the night.

GG's everyone. The first game was insanely crowded with Tebo and me having a pretty intense battle for first place.

Second game was a little less crowded, more my style, but about halfway through became a 1v1 between me and Tweety Bird. He and I had some very good fights, but on levels like Keg it just comes down to who has the MD and who doesnt.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Darktalyn wrote:but on levels like Keg it just comes down to who has the MD and who doesnt.
Don't make me come in there and show you guys where the limits aren't. ;)
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

I didn't get a chance to play. Power went out because of a thunder storm :(
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

lol, levels like Keg are dominated by MD followed by Vauss.

Try playing a game of Keg with your MD disabled sometime... It's not going to be a fun time. Maybe you'll be fine if you play n00blets, but not against pilots with good MD shots like last night.

With no MD, Vauss would become even more important in there. If you disabled both Vauss and MD, then forget it. On Keg party all the other primaries are an afterthought to Vauss and MD.

I have spoken. Absorb my knowledge. 8)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

One of the things that I think has always set me apart as a pilot is that I don't recognize limits in the game of Descent. Your knowledge of Descent 3 weapons or ships will be little comfort to you when your shields pass 0. ;) [/smack]
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

But.... What about the limit you ran into on Indika the other night? I'm pretty sure it was 117 kills. ;)

Oh wait, maybe you just didn't recognize that 117 is a little bit short of 150. :lol:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I was playing a 1on1, and there was an insect problem! ;)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Talons are bigger, stronger, and cooler than thorns.

/end thread.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Darktalyn1 wrote:lol, levels like Keg are dominated by MD followed by Vauss.

Try playing a game of Keg with your MD disabled sometime... It's not going to be a fun time. Maybe you'll be fine if you play n00blets, but not against pilots with good MD shots like last night.

With no MD, Vauss would become even more important in there. If you disabled both Vauss and MD, then forget it. On Keg party all the other primaries are an afterthought to Vauss and MD.

I have spoken. Absorb my knowledge. 8)
Your knowledge is lacking.
There is no ammo in Keg; which gives a person what.. 5 shots? Also, iirc, if you don't randomize the power-ups, there should only be one MD available. AND if the respawn on the power-ups is not instant, you should be golden. Keg, is/was actually plasma heavy.
But then, it was intended to mirror the D2 as best as possible. Weapons and power-ups were left out due to the respawn mechanics; that includes secondaries. Those, I might add are disabled most of the time, which is cool.

Also, the Vauss isn't anywhere near as deadly as the vulcan in D1.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

You must be joking...

1) MD gives 10 shots. Even without ammo, that's enough for 3 kills. Or, if you're playing against Phoenix you can stretch it out for 2 hits + a vauss tap and get 4 kills out of it.

2) There's definitely more than 1 MD available. Likely cause powerups are randomized but that's how every server plays so it's a moot point.

3) Vauss can be quite deadly in D3 - you can take someone down in a matter of seconds if you get a good bead on them.

4) In open spaces, MD with vauss support will always dominate over the other primaries.

5) Please feel free to play me in Keg while I use MD+Vauss and you use Plasma. Then we can see how well plasma does in there :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I built this level. ;)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I know you built it. But I'm the one who owns it :oops: :lol:

Seriously though, Keg is not a plasma level. Not even close. I would put plasma near the bottom of my list for what I would choose to fight with in Keg.

1. MD
2. Vauss
3. Fusion
4. Quad Supers
5. Plasma
6. Other laser assortments (quad blues, regular supers, single blues)

That said, good job building the level. It's a good one! However......

I have spoken. All must concur with my assessments!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Darktalyn1 wrote:3) Vauss can be quite deadly in D3 - you can take someone down in a matter of seconds if you get a good bead on them.
Yup. Vauss is at the top of my autoselect. It's fairly quick to kill. It's also very nice for knocking people's MD aim off.
5) Please feel free to play me in Keg while I use MD+Vauss and you use Plasma.
I'd be curious to see two fairly equal pilots in the same ship try that out. One puts MD/Vauss high on their list, the other puts plasma/fusion/lasers high on their list, and we see how they do. Even better, do it with 6 pilots, with 3 using instant weapons and 3 using energy weapons (so that you don't get one pilot deciding "all the action will happen in this space where my weapon is favored", but instead the various pilots have to contend with each other all over the level.)

Of course, truly good Descent pilots will use various weapons for what they're good for, and will find ways to get kills even with lesser guns. It's always fun going up against pilots who are lost without their MD, or their BP plasma, or their trifusion. "Dang, dude, I'm sorry you don't have your favorite gun. Here, lemme send you back to respawn and you can try again."
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Darktalyn1 wrote:Talons are bigger, stronger, and cooler than thorns.

/end thread.
LOL!
Lothar wrote: "Dang, dude, I'm sorry you don't have your favorite gun. Here, lemme send you back to respawn and you can try again."
Heh!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

i'll give it one more college try when brian plays, til then i'm on hiatus.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Darktalyn1 wrote:You must be joking...

1) MD gives 10 shots. Even without ammo, that's enough for 3 kills. Or, if you're playing against Phoenix you can stretch it out for 2 hits + a vauss tap and get 4 kills out of it.
Wuss. You never played Keg69 (D2) it's all Gauss and mercs.
Darktalyn1 wrote: 2) There's definitely more than 1 MD available. Likely cause powerups are randomized but that's how every server plays so it's a moot point.
There is exactly one MD and one Vauss.
How someone sets up a server is not my fault.
There is also 6 plasma cannons.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Wuss? I MD ho it up with the best of them. I hat-trick fools on a regular basis.

But let's face it... Keg Party is what it is. You should embrace its identity, regardless of whether or not it was your intention...

8)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

ahem, vulcan is much more deadly than vauss.
way better long range than vauss.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:There is exactly one MD and one Vauss.
How someone sets up a server is not my fault.
There is also 6 plasma cannons.
Problem w/ D3. It doesn't track who has what.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

How do ya mean?

I've never cared for D3's respawn method even though it's standard in all games now. I really liked the way D1 and D2 dealt with it. ..er.. minus a couple of bugs.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

*BUMP*

Up for 4/14/2010 - Atan's new level, StreetFighter!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Looks cool, i'll try to join this evening.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

MD SHOULD be disabled from Kegparty. that level was built when the MD didn't even exist.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

Ferno wrote:MD SHOULD be disabled from Kegparty. that level was built when the MD didn't even exist.
X2
AGREED

Plus, eventhough you only have 1 MD in the level, it still tends to multiply when some one dies with it, the next guy pickes it up. Someone else picks up a new MD. He dies with that and the next, next guy picks it up. Someone else, else picks up a new MD....
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

NUMBERZero wrote:
Ferno wrote:MD SHOULD be disabled from Kegparty. that level was built when the MD didn't even exist.
X2
AGREED

Plus, eventhough you only have 1 MD in the level, it still tends to multiply when some one dies with it, the next guy pickes it up. Someone else picks up a new MD. He dies with that and the next, next guy picks it up. Someone else, else picks up a new MD....
Boom! You are dead, re-spawn and deal with it!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Good game tonight.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

You're not going to believe this, but all of the MD in Streetfighter actually DETRACTS from the gameplay.

Everyone wants their MD and they have it. Then they go outside of the tunnels in order to get clear shots at eachother. I stuck to the tunnels like a rat for once and I hardly ever saw anyone in there except when they were respawning, camping in a tank, or if on the rare occation they decided to go down in there.

Everyone was so busy outside without all of the cool obsticals in the way.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

NUMBERZero wrote:You're not going to believe this, but all of the MD in Streetfighter actually DETRACTS from the gameplay.
That's only true if you don't like MD, or if you prefer tunnel-ratting.

Personally, I'll have fun in tunnel-ratting games, even though I prefer open-spaces. I'm sorry I missed the game last night - sounds like I would have had a blast. :)
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

I stuck it out with the MD just fine after I got used to it again, but that was just an observation.

It didn't too exciting in my opinion. When it did for me was inside the tunnels. The elevator was fun to use to mess up someone in the tunnels. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

lol, you forget how annoying the Gauss was at times.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

annoying maybe. but at least it wasn't an instant hit weapon.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Ferno wrote:annoying maybe. but at least it wasn't an instant hit weapon.
Uh... yes it was. Or if not, it was extremely close to instant. Certainly not something you could see coming and dodge; if someone had a bead on you (with a good ping) they were getting the hit.

I think Vauss is a better standin for gauss than MD is. MD front-loads the damage too much; it feels a lot more like a super merc missile with kickback.

Anyway... I was in Keg the other day and people were complaining about me spamming micro in my BP. So I disabled it, and killed them with mostly vauss and plasma (but a healthy dose of fusion and MD as well.) Then somebody complained about me spamming plasma. So I laughed at him.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yeah, no pleasing some folks. ;)

Gauss has knock back too.. or knock around.. whatever. :) I was wrong though in thinking it only had 5. 10 is too much for that level. I agonized over putting it in, but in the end decided to, to stand in the place of the gauss that is there. Like I've said, Hosts, disable it if you don't like it. :)