Multiplayer Problems -- TCP IP

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Sphinx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Multiplayer Problems -- TCP IP

Post by Sphinx »

I have all three Descents. Brings back memories. Installed and working just fine. Have vortex installed and working correctly. However, when I connect to a game through Vortex the game loads and says my TCP IP is not active. I've searched through forums and such and can't seem to get a straight answer. I checked my settings in windows to the best of my ability and I see TCP IP turned on. Suggestions?

I'm an old Vet getting back to the ship, and i'm also used to problems with this game. All help appreciated.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Make sure you run D3 normally (not using Vortex) once. When it brings up the launcher, go into setup and make sure the network is set up correctly.

Also, regardless of the actual speed of your connect, you should tell D3 (via setup) that you're running Cable. Many of the servers will not allow you to join if you're not set to Cable speeds.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

if i recall right that error allways came up when a crashed main.exe still was running in the background while vortex tried to start a new d3-session trying to join a multiplayer game. check the taskmanager if that happens again.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

You are aware that Vortex will launch you into the game, so you may not have launched Descent3 manually before, right?

DigiJo is right: Normally that problem arises from another Descent3 running somewhere. So when you are getting the error next time, quit the instance of D3 and check the taskmanager -> processes for a MAIN.EXE and end that process to retry launching from Vortex again...
Sphinx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

TCP IP Cont.

Post by Sphinx »

I will try all right now. I'll get back you ya in a few. Thank you very much. Can't wait to get in there.. While we're on it.. what's the most widely used service to connect with other ppl? I've been hunting around for Kali.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

as in looking to download it?

go to http://www.kali.net
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: TCP IP Cont.

Post by Do_Checkor »

Sphinx wrote:what's the most widely used service to connect with other ppl?
Well for Descent3 it's just direct TCPIP - via trackers - especially http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3 which is all built in into Vortex.

For Descent 1 and 2 I think they arrange games in the dedicated chat rooms (which you can join via Vortex too)...