CTF is overrated and promotes bad habits

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

CTF is overrated and promotes bad habits

Post by Darktalyn1 »

CTF is by far the worst mod in Descent 3.

For starters, it rewards players for two of the most despicable behaviours in online play.

1. Running. Everyone's running away from fights instead of taking their lumps like a man. Either running to the flag or running away from the flag. I see peenixes running away from the sight of a single blue laser shot. LOL @ little running pancakes.

2. Camping. Here you have the other side of the spectrum. The 'defensive' players who powder their nose in the flag room, just camping the flag so they can rack up easy kills for an 'impressive' efficiency. LOL @ camping stat-padders

I only grace CTF with my presence when there are no real games going on, and even then it gives me diarrhea.

CTF is the gametype for players who just can't hang in a game of Anarchy or Team Anarchy - It's high time CTF players folded up their pretty little flags and joined a REAL GAME.

8)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You can't please everyone. CTF is for people who like to play games with a different type of strategy. It's not about getting kills, it's about scoring with the flag. So whatever it takes (running etc) so be it. If you don't like it, don't join the game.

You're one of the ones that CTF players hate because you just go in the play anarchy in a CTF game.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

CDN_Merlin wrote:You're one of the ones that CTF players hate because you just go in the play anarchy in a CTF game.
Exactly.

If you'd rather play anarchy than CTF (which is about running as much as sticking around to fight, depending on what role you're playing), don't play it.

If you're looking for fights, CTF isn't for you.

--------

However, with that said...

DarkTalyn, I actually enjoy having you as an opponent in CTF. :)

Why? Because by playing anarchy-style and looking for kills rather than flag-scores, you frequently:
  • end up out of position
  • get distracted by battles
  • generally make it easier for flag-runners like me to score
------------

"Anarchy is the gametype for players who just can't hang in a game with any real strategy - It's high time anarchy players folded up their stat sheets and joined a REAL GAME."

8)

------------

Note:

You're right about camping in CTF. WAY too many CTF players try to play defense, when they would help their team much more by playing aggressive and not worrying about stats.

Guys like BottleRocket (who run HARD, and don't give a %^&* about dying) are by far and away the best CTF teammates.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

wow... you boys stop it or you get no dessert !!!

Let's face, all game types can be great. We simply lack players. Old farts like me that got busy, or lost interest. If we had more players, more games, etc. We'd have more choices, and people would try and get good at more types.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I take it back. Hoard slightly edges out CTF for 'Worst Gametype' status.

However... I stand by my assertion that CTF does not reflect the good things about Descent, and instead rewards/promotes bad habits.

I challenge anyone to defend CTF as a valid gametype! It cannot be done! :lol:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I actually love Hoard. It's another anarchy game with a twist. I also love monsterball but no one plays that anymore.

All people want to do is play anarchy and brag about how good their stats are. WTF cares? Just play to have fun. Isn't that what playing is all about?

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I have many nice things to say... Merlin was an amazing sorceror and helped King Arthur in his claim to fame. His beard was long and flowing and filled with badassery. Dude could wear a robe day and night and still pimped Camelot like nobody's business.

But now, defend the validity of CTF! :oops:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

CTF - Team work. Helps build character and not inflate your ego like Anarchy.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

CDN_Merlin wrote:CTF - Team work. Helps build character and not inflate your ego like Anarchy.
Hear hear.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

True or False: CTF was responsible for the downfall of Descent 3.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Haha! Gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Darktalyn.

And who's running? If you get the flag and don't have the balls to fight your way back through the enemy base the long way out... that's your problem. ;)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I rarely capture the flag cause I don't feel like hopping in a skipnix and running for an hour straight. If I wanted to do that I'd get on a treadmill - at least then there is some benefit to it :lol:
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: CTF is overrated and promotes bad habits

Post by TheWhat »

Darktalyn1 wrote:CTF is by far the worst mod in Descent 3.

For starters, it rewards players for two of the most despicable behaviours in online play.

1. Running. Everyone's running away from fights instead of taking their lumps like a man. Either running to the flag or running away from the flag. I see peenixes running away from the sight of a single blue laser shot. LOL @ little running pancakes.

2. Camping. Here you have the other side of the spectrum. The 'defensive' players who powder their nose in the flag room, just camping the flag so they can rack up easy kills for an 'impressive' efficiency. LOL @ camping stat-padders

I only grace CTF with my presence when there are no real games going on, and even then it gives me diarrhea.

CTF is the gametype for players who just can't hang in a game of Anarchy or Team Anarchy - It's high time CTF players folded up their pretty little flags and joined a REAL GAME.

8)
x2QFTbrobrobro

Excellent post. Running pancakes and "i tink its high time". lol
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Darktalyn1 wrote:I rarely capture the flag cause I don't feel like hopping in a skipnix and running for an hour straight.
Interesting.

I rarely skip to anarchy 'cause I don't always feel like hopping in a trin00b and dogfighting for an hour straight. 8)

(Sometimes I do, but somehow a well-organized and well-executed flag run is more satisfying, especially if I'm doing the running.)

-------------

DarkTalyn,

You apparently need to understand that while you may have reached the peak of anarchy competition, you have much to learn about games of real strategy.

P.S. Until then, keep joining us in CTF. I love it when you're on the other team, blindly playing anarchy, heedless of the strategy and flow. Makes it so much easier for me to score. :)
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by LEON »

Darktalyn1 wrote:True or False: CTF was responsible for the downfall of Descent 3.
What you mean? CTF is responsible for there's no players left or that peeps didn't get good?

Sure playing CTF doesn't make you a good anarchy player. You wont be a good soccer player if you practice bowling too much :P

Me myself do not like CTF at all, I don't join even if its the only game running.
Darktalyn1 wrote:Hoard slightly edges out CTF for 'Worst Gametype' status.
What's bad about hoard?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Foil, don't bother -- he's troling.

:P
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

LEON wrote:Sure playing CTF doesn't make you a good anarchy player. You wont be a good soccer player if you practice bowling too much :P
Exactly.

"OMG, CTF teaches bad habits for anarchy!"

"Well, anarchy teaches bad habits for CTF."

...Hoard teaches bad habits for Entropy...

...BreakOut teaches bad habits for MonsterBall...

...Guardian teaches bad habits for Duel...

:roll:
Grendel wrote:Foil, don't bother -- he's troling.

:P
Yeah, I'm letting him push my buttons. You're right; plus, I've made my point. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Bad habits? Like defending...the other teams base, from them? :P

Nothing in Anarchy is as fun or gives the same rush as waltzing into the enemies entrenched base, annihilating all of their camping idiot defenders, grabbing their flag, annihilating them all over again on your leisurely way back out, then swatting their carrier like the insect they are, returning the flag and capping. 8)

But I guess someone too weak to handle the disadvantage of going up against a bunch of trenched in campers that know you are coming wouldn't understand. :lol:
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I love Krom's revisionist history about his D3 exploits... Please, let us all gather around a camp-fire while he tells us more fictional tales.

Grendel,

I have one thing to say to you...

:lol:
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Foil,

Any time I actually bother to play Defense in CTF the opposing team's scoring immediately grinds to a halt. The only problem is it's so damn boring I eventually return to gunslinger mode

8)

I would also like to add that while CTF teaches bad habits for anarchy, anarchy does not teach bad habits for CTF. It would be very easy for me to 'play my role' and play CTF 'the right way' All I'd have to do is decide if I want to spend my time running from fights or camping.

However, a player that constantly plays CTF would have a harder time adjusting to Anarchy. It's not like they can just decide to dodge and aim better.

Case closed! Another victory for me! 8)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Darktalyn1 wrote:However, a player that constantly plays CTF would have a harder time adjusting to Anarchy. It's not like they can just decide to dodge and aim better.

Case closed! Another victory for me! 8)
No and no :P Anarchy is easier to play. If you lurk around in CTF and encounter 2 or more players of the other team, they will all target you.. In anarchy you would start picking off the ones that locked on you, then the ones that are busy w/ each other. Easier to break from a fight too. In CTF they will all hunt you, in anarchy they have to share their attention betw. all parties present.

And Krom, that won't work anymore. The players that are left are too seasoned to let that happen :P
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Really...

Let's make this more interesting then. Why don't Foil, Grendel, and Krom (defenders of CTF) take on me, Behemoth, and Ryujin (anarchy purists).

We can play 1 game of CTF on Halcyon and one game of Team anarchy.

I'm confident that while our teamwork might not be fantastic in CTF, we'll still win the game. And the anarchy would be a blowout.

That should do a pretty good job of proving my point. Anarchy > CTF.

:)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't play CTF because I'm scared of MD, which everyone seems to be using.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Now you are suddenly talking Team anarchy. That's not equal to Anarchy. :P

I would be up for a Halcyon CTF tho.
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Hally CTF would be great.

And while I might be the weakest link, a Grendel/Krom/Foil team wouldn't be as easy to beat as you think.

:)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Well I personally love Team Anarchy most, then 1v1, then Anarchy.

But the question is, are you ready to throw down for a CTF and a Team Anarchy? The CTF should be a cakewalk after all.. considering I don't know strategy and am always out of position :)

Also Grendel I'm not 'suddenly' bring up Team Anarchy. Re-read the bolded part of my first post. :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Darktalyn1 wrote:But the question is, are you ready to throw down for a CTF and a Team Anarchy? The CTF should be a cakewalk after all.. considering I don't know strategy and am always out of position :)
Sounds good to me.

Speaking of which, you still haven't played me in the pair of 1v1s you promised after your "BI3 is da bomb" thread. :)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

We'll get that going too :)

What can I say? I've mostly been playing Starcraft 2 Beta these days. :D
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Anarchy in the Enemies Weapon Room FTW..... you all know when I'm there!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Taking the Enemy Weapons room and holding it is one of my favorite things to do in a CTF Veins game.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't have the skills to play either one particularly well, but to me, CTF is a far more interesting gametype than Anarchy could ever be. There comes a point when you have to ask yourself just how many random free-for-alls you can participate in before it just starts to get boring. If the only purpose in the game is to randomly kill (or be killed by) anyone you stumble across...where's the long-term enjoyment there? CTF offers the ability to take up distinct gameplay roles to contribute to a larger goal, and switch between said roles as necessary. And when you get into a crazy situation where both flags are out in the field somewhere, and neither team knows where the other carrier is, it adds a sense of overlying tension and excitement that I've never come close to experiencing in plain Anarchy. I still don't know of any bigger in-game adrenaline rush than pulling off a successful flag run. :)

(And don't give me the Skipnix excuse...I've captured flags in a Tank. :P)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

CTF was one of the crowning aspects of D3 for me... and capturing the enemy BASE is definitely the best part! ;)
Darktalyn wrote:I love Krom's revisionist history about his D3 exploits... Please, let us all gather around a camp-fire while he tells us more fictional tales.
Hehe. Credit where credit is due... Krom wasn't making things up. in a pick-up game that was sort of a D3K-elite hat-trick, from what I remember.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Some people don't like chess. And thats OK. It doesn't mean your stupid. You can be SMART and not like chess.

But for others, it's not adequate just to \"not like\" chess, they have to actively try and convince others that chess is a stupid game. That is almost always evidence of their own insecurity. If they go out of their way to hunt down chess fans and tell them what a stupid game chess is, they are nervous about their intelligence and trying to prop up their weak ego.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

inadequate analogy...
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

I think Kilarin's got it right on.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I skimmed right over the \"Team anarchy\" part. Like that one even less than anarchy even tho I was part of the 4v4 random draw winning team the last Califest :P Would play a game, sure. If everyone is in TS (team channels ok).

My favorite in mindless killing is -- Hoard in Skybox ! Nothing beats that. :lol:

Uhm, maybe you could draw an analogy to chess for Entropy. But CTF ? Maybe checkers.
ImageImage
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

WOW. Horrible Analogy.

I love chess, and even played in some local tournaments when I was younger.

Next!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Hehe. Credit where credit is due... Krom wasn't making things up. in a pick-up game that was sort of a D3K-elite hat-trick, from what I remember
I'm not saying it's impossible. I've done it from time to time myself. And in all honestly it's probably harder to do now against the pilots that play Veins on the regular than against some n00blets back in the day. :D

But I've already gone into my statements about how the previous eras of D3 are overrated so I'll leave it at that 8)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Veins doesn't count as CTF. 7 phoenixes camping in their base all spamming the mass driver is just stupid and it won't just cause people to develop bad habits in Anarchy, its a plain bad habit in \"CTF\" too. If it was Veins \"CTF\" you were talking about in the OP, then I wholeheartedly agree. :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

If you're using that logic you may as well discount halcyon too, considering how direct it is.
doesn't really stimulate any brain activity, more of a map to just camp in the other guys e centers and wait for em to pile up trying to take one guy out like they always do.