To Darktalyn1

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

To Darktalyn1

Post by Nightshade »

In reference to Darktalyn1's theory as to why Descent 3 \"died\" (or rather it death-plunge in online game play) I pose my own theory:

Darktalyn, as to what \"killed\" Descent 3's online community, I'm afraid it was Suncho (unintentionally mind you) that killed Decent 3.

How? He advocated the end of PXO. PXO's online game matching service was probably the thread Suncho pulled to unravel the entire online game experience.

Suncho didn't do it on purpose- he thought getting rid of PXO would help bring more people in.

Boy was he wrong.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Wow... ThunderBunny out for blood! I like it.

Yeah I remember when PXO disappeared off the face of Planet Earth, that D3 effectively went into a coma. I didn't know that was Suncho's doing, however (even if indirectly)

Now... Bunny boy, when will we be seeing you in the mines ? :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

D3 was already well on its way out when PXO died, it just put some extra nails in the coffin.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

funny that a stripped pxo database (emails removed) was handed over endimon for fs2net for online play, if I recall correctly... that kind of died too. pxo server hit the garbage bin during the move from one office to another for violation. that's when the official crime was commited.. fs1,fs2 & d3 all in the can

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Also, I was joking about CTF being responsible for D3's death. In all seriousness, a big part of the D3 community falling apart was once teams started boycotting other teams on the D3TL.

But, PXO shutting down was obviously the biggest culprit.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

BUBBALOU wrote:funny that a stripped pxo database (emails removed) was handed over endimon for fs2net for online play, if I recall correctly... that kind of died too. pxo server hit the garbage bin during the move from one office to another for violation. that's when the official crime was commited.. fs1,fs2 & d3 all in the can
FS2's actually back online now, thanks to the Source Code Project's efforts and some third-party hosting, but there's not much of an active multiplayer scene at the moment. That doesn't really bother me, though, since the FS modding scene is far more singleplayer-focused than Descent's wound up being.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

yeah, it is hard to imagine how many people pick up the game
in the bargin bin, and think that Multiplyer is just not available after trying pxo.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm not really sure how many bargain bins D3 could be found in anymore, to be honest. I'd assume that the biggest stream of new people trying the game now comes from GOG.com, and I think we have enough of a presence over there to help people on how to join games.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

Sickone wrote:yeah, it is hard to imagine how many people pick up the game
in the bargin bin, and think that Multiplyer is just not available after trying pxo.
slap a sticker on each box with the info where to find us and bingo :D (the vendors could do the slapping themselves to increase sales)