Couple Questions

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Couple Questions

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Hey guys, obviously I'm new around here, so I'm hoping these questions aren't out of place.

I own the first Descent for PS1 and am about halfway through the game on Ace difficulty (yeah yeah, probably nothing compared to you guys), and I do go through the 3 secret levels as well. One thing I noticed is a Combat mode, which when you connect more than one systems together, allows you to play multiplayer over a LAN network you set up between those systems.
I personally play Descent on PS2, despite it being a PS1 title, because there are times when it even lags on PS2. But I found this cool tunneling software called XLink Kai that basically can make the world's internet seem like an LAN to your console.

My first question is not how would I set that up. My first question is, if it works, would I be able to connect to people on computers or would it be strictly limited to the PS2? (XLink Kai is compatible with PS2, GameCube, and XBox.) And before you say anything, yes I am planning on testing if XLink Kai works on PS1 games as well, I'm just wondering IF it works, would I be able to connect to computers as well, or just PS2s?

Also, I've had some extreme difficulty finding copies of any of the Descent games for Mac online, even copies I can purchase. Would anyone be willing to direct me to a place I can download a recommended Descent game for online play, for Mac OS X? The actual Single player mode won't matter to me as much as the multiplayer, because if I only wanted single player I'd still be in my dungeon trying to beat Descent on Insane.

So here are my two questions in short again:

1. Using XLink Kai, if I connected my PS2 to the internet through that, would I be able to connect to any of your servers or would it be strictly XLink Kai Orbital servers?

2. Which version of Descent is best for multiplayer and where's the cheapest place online I can download a copy? It needs to be Mac OS X compatible and cannot be a disk, as my disk drive is broken. It can also be a demo if Multiplayer mode is still supported.

Thank you for your help in advance!
jesusfr3ak4evr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jesusfr3ak4evr »

bump lol. I have no idea. Google for question #2, perhaps? If you buy a copy of the game, then it should be fine to download Descent via torrent. Just google Descent 3 torrent and you should come up with something. Also, pop into chat and the members should have some ideas.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Well, I've been around for a couple of years and I have never heard of anyone wanting to play on the PS. We all play on the computer. It is much, much better.

You should be able to find all 3 games for the Mac here at Good old Games.
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Descent 3 is played the most out of all 3. I don't know if I can help much about connecting with the Play Station, but I can direct you to a post that I made at another forum on how to start playing Descent 3 online.
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=337.0

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for exactly.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Eh, kinda.

What I'm eventually planning on doing is running Descent through XLink Kai on my PS2, have someone else do exactly the same, and see if we can connect to each others PS2's through the internet. This month though, we're gonna be testing to make sure they can connect when they're directly connected to each other.

After I'm finished with both those tests, I'll post back here with the results, and if there were positive results, I'll be looking for people to test XLink Kai to see if it can go from PS2 to PC servers. It's highly doubtful, but I feel it's worth a try.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Connecting 2 ps1's together requires a link cable, 2 playstations, 2 monitors, and 2 copies of the game. You can play 2 player anarchy or co-op. Sorry there is not an online play option

Also descent on ps1 is the same as the original descent..... Same levels

It is quite fun

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Yes, I know. But don't you think I'm tired of single player mode?

XLink Kai is a tunneling software program that basically tricks any PS2, Gamecube, or XBox that the internet is a LAN. Meaning if I used XLink Kai and a friend used XLink Kai, we might be able to get even Descent working like that if we used PS2s.

I understand it may not work, so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't. However, I want to try it on the off-chance that it actually works.