Returning pilot - Want to install D3 on Vista 64 & mouse

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Kalkin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Returning pilot - Want to install D3 on Vista 64 & mouse

Post by Kalkin »

My PC is a Core 2 Quad (2.5 ghz) with 8 GB of RAM and an Nvidia GT 240 Video card running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I just wanted to ask for input from the community before installing D3 and messing around with the various settings. Is there a \"best practice\" install for this scenario and can you avoid the mouse bug? (if it matters I'm currently using a Logitech MX518 but it's about time for a new mouse if it changes things for the better)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

viewtopic.php?t=17166 - Mouse FPS fix that works in 64 bit windows.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Always check the stickies and announcements for solutions before posting a question like this.
Kalkin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kalkin »

Thanks for not being condescending, Krom. I missed that bit when I read the stickies. So I take it there is no way to avoid the mouse bug, got to use 3rd party software as a workaround instead?

Just to be sure I went and re-read the stickies and I didn't see anything else about installing on a 64-bit OS so shall I just assume that there is no \"best practices\" recommendation for installing D3 beyond the 3rd party mouse software?

Or perhaps others in the community can chime in with some equally helpful suggestions before I blindly bull my way in to a sticky wicket?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

viewtopic.php?t=16700

Vista x64 & win7 x64 same setup

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I haven't personally tested it, but generally D3 should just work in 64 bit windows 7. The procedure is the same as any other OS: install D3 ---> install merc (if you have it) ---> patch 1.4 ---> done.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I can confirm that D3 works in Vista x64 and Win7 x64 without any issues. There's no need for any special installation procedure; it's exactly as Krom said.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

Kalkin wrote:Thanks for not being condescending, Krom. I missed that bit when I read the stickies. So I take it there is no way to avoid the mouse bug, got to use 3rd party software as a workaround instead?
Unless you like playing d3 at 45 fps
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

With more modern gaming mice, it may be possible to increase the polling rate to 100Hz or more, which would allow you to increase your framerate-cap to 80 or 90 without issues.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Foil wrote:With more modern gaming mice, it may be possible to increase the polling rate to 100Hz or more, which would allow you to increase your framerate-cap to 80 or 90 without issues.
My g500 can reach 1000 Hz, but I set it at 200 Hz because anything under 5 MS is beyond any possible level of perception and just wastes CPU cycles. I don't use the mouse in D3 but you say a higher polling rate helps work around the FPS/mouse bugs? Interesting, if I ever get around to installing D3 again I'll test it out and see if there is a difference between 125 Hz and 1000 Hz...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Krom wrote:...you say a higher polling rate helps work around the FPS/mouse bugs?
It should. The FPS/mouse bug happens when one's framerate exceeds the mouse polling rate (resulting in frames without a new mouse poll, which D3 sees as releasing the button).
Krom wrote:...if I ever get around to installing D3 again I'll test it out and see if there is a difference between 125 Hz and 1000 Hz...
Like you said, it probably won't be noticeable. Unless it fixes the bug for you, of course.