SERVERS: Changing Teams in Team Anarchy

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

SERVERS: Changing Teams in Team Anarchy

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Heyas,

Listen, I'm really grateful to the people who donate their machines for servers. I suspect it's a lot more work than people think, and I know we all appreciate it.

I have a mini-gripe, though. There seems to be a new trend in Team Anarchy, where changing teams is prevented by the game setup. You can't rejoin and hope it will equalize, because the server apparently recognizes your name and just tosses you back where you were before.

Why? What's the point here? I switch from red to blue whenever there's an imbalance or it looks like the losing team is getting discouraged and leaving. Why am I prohibited from switching now (see, e.g., D1.Descent.cx -- Monsterball Mayhem)? It just seems ... wrong, but I allow for the possibility there's something else at work here.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BD
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

im noticing this alot too. III and SSC just had several problems last night trying to get even teams, but team change was disabled on 3 different servers, and we finally had to get our backup names and play with those.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That really does make little to no sense. If half of one team leaves, what are you supposed to do then? I'm wondering why the server ops are doing this; was there some incident to provoke them? As much as I appreciate what the ops do for this community, I think they need to think this one through.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

imho you should have posted this into the "D3 Servers and Server OP's" Forum here...

this is a server question so... :)
esa
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: SERVERS: Changing Teams in Team Anarchy

Post by esa »

Bold Deceiver wrote:Why am I prohibited from switching now (see, e.g., D1.Descent.cx -- Monsterball Mayhem)? It just seems ... wrong, but I allow for the possibility there's something else at work here.
Something else is indeed at work here.

Fix/workaround has been put in place for Descent.CX servers. Thanks for your patience.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: SERVERS: Changing Teams in Team Anarchy

Post by Bold Deceiver »

esa wrote:Something else is indeed at work here.
Hi Esa,

Hey thanks for the reply, and the encouraging good news. Must say, I'm intrigued by the diabolical possibilities you imply ....

:)
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

muhahaha
esa
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by esa »

Sorry, didn't mean to imply so much drama and intrigue. It was just a buglet in D3Server3, already caught and squashed by (DE)Hunter.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You mean you are running dyanmic PU respawn times on your servers ? Nice !! :D
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Thank you, esa :).
esa
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by esa »

Yes, random respawn everywhere. Guidelines and suggestions welcome for min/max.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Thanks !! How about 10/25 for an 8 ppl game ?
Gonzo7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Changing teams

Post by Gonzo7 »

Deciever
Well I am not sure about all server tool's, but as far as the commands in D3 the only option that is automatic is to balance teams (now this fucntion has be enabeled). Now you can manually force a team change from within the game ( from server side) . However i know of nothing that from the command side that will do what you describe. Just my 2 cents. Would love to hear , if such a option exsists though
Gonzo
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

at the same time Gonz, there is a option to disable or enable Team Changes during games. alot of servers just recently have been having team Change disabled and it really screws up the game play when the teams become uneven
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Something definitely needs to be done, because when there are 2 players in a server, 1 weak and 1 relatively good, and you try and join you happen to be better than both of them, it just isn't fair for the server to force you to be with the relatively good player and crush the noob. Now some noobs (like me) would Prefer the 2v1 since it's great practice, but you can't just force the situation.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Changing teams

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Gonzo7 wrote:Deciever
Well I am not sure about all server tool's, but as far as the commands in D3 the only option that is automatic is to balance teams (now this fucntion has be enabeled). Now you can manually force a team change from within the game ( from server side) . However i know of nothing that from the command side that will do what you describe. Just my 2 cents. Would love to hear , if such a option exsists though
Gonzo
Thanks for the information. Confirms ESA's report that it's a bug (not that there was any doubt). Appreciate it.

BD