skill development and the misjudged hacking.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Mod note: this topic was split from the 1v1 tournament signup. Carry on.

I don't doubt that some pilots really are able to battle very skillfully. Nevertheless there are questions/

the winner will be determined by what criteria? For example, only the success or failure can depend on a choice of level.
On what controlers will play? All have different mice and joysticks.
Who will watch honesty of duels? Anticheat? =) Descent is possible update for much more more surpassing advantage over the rival exclusively software.
And other cunnings in a multiplayer are.

P.S. I am not going to take part since I know that I am insufficiently ready for a duel while.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: 1on1 Tournament Signup

Post by Money! »

I don't really think this tourney is about who wins, bragging rights, forum politics, are you cheating etc. It's about the game. That's why we're all here in the first place right? This is an organized move to inject some more life into one amazing but unfortunately dying game. Simple as that. I for one applaud the effort (and really wish I could participate).
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Descent won't die until in this genre of game it won't be better than it. All analogs which I play sometimes now (ProjectX-Forsaken, Shattered Horizon, Retrovirus) or which I tried to play (Miner Wars, Free Space, Terminal Velosity, Wing Commander, G-Police, etc.) they good and interesting it is unconditional. But Descent turned out so successful that in this genre it the best
and today, on mine.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you can't get enough signups for a 8/16 player elimination bracket tournament, you could always opt for a tourney style that works better with fewer players.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Honestly I'd be interested in jumping back into D3 semi-regularly again, but I have little to no interest in a 1v1 format. Hell, plain old anarchy is a hard enough sell for me. :P
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Krom wrote:If you can't get enough signups for a 8/16 player elimination bracket tournament, you could always opt for a tourney style that works better with fewer players.
True - round robin or group stage always works
Top Gun wrote:Honestly I'd be interested in jumping back into D3 semi-regularly again, but I have little to no interest in a 1v1 format. Hell, plain old anarchy is a hard enough sell for me. :P
What we can do to convince you Top Gun? :lol: But seriously.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

1on1 Tournament Signup (duplicate)

Post by Behemoth »

Theres more reason than just extra activity to want to participate, it also means whoever does join will have a chance at playing some good players and perhaps learning a thing or two in the process.
When i was learning to get better i always took a beating intentionally in order to get that extra experience and learned alot from the guys i played with, if i hadn't taken the initiative, i would never have become as good as i did.
1on1 isn't exactly necessary i suppose, but it's the best way to increase overall skills as a pilot in descent quickly, and no one can argue that.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I suppose people weren't ready for a 1on1 tournament yet, i misjudged the resolve of the rest of our members.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I guess the promise of an ass whooping just doesn't bring 'em in like it used to. er... :P ;)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I don't think people realized Behe wasn't playing
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I realize that I still have a long way to the pros. But! The farther away the more I realize that the success of the multiplayer depends not so much on the ability to play, how many from game settings. Me very much enrages that at standard settings game doesn't allow me to play as I can. SHIP REACTION MUCH MORE isn't IN TIME BEHIND my REACTION! I can not help feeling that many provide yourself a good game (and statistics) due to the changed parameters of the game. Here therefore about any tournaments of speech also can't be!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

What are you talking about? Good players have the same game to play with, We don't change settings or boost our game.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I don't deny that good players can play very well. But some move too unnaturally quickly that there was no doubt in the changed parameters (hack game). Only you don't speak that you the first time hear about it and didn't notice anything similar :lol:
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I haven't seen anyone hacking for a few years.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

but I see them, and in different options, for all last year. All right, we will close a subject, and that now from me proofs will demand which I while don't have.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Usual common things to look at:
1) Poor controller configurations can make it hard for you to fly properly
2) Good players don't usually rely on reactions as much as you'd think - they rely on already knowing what to do before they need to
3) A lot of it is just "tricks of the trade" that people commit to muscle memory. Which is where practice comes in - it's quite possible to outrun people with the exact same equipment just through using it better (pulse-burning in D3, alternating burning/tri-chording in D2).
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Absolutely, how you utilize what's given to you is essential is you want to succeed in growing as a pilot.
There have been quite a few hackers over the years but like i said i haven't seen any in a long time.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's a process most players (including me) go through as they increase in skill:

1. "This is a cool game. Ouch, I'm getting killed..."
2. "How can they do that?! It looks impossible! It must be hacking!"
3. "Ah, I see what they're doing, but I can't seem to do it..."
4. "Now I can do it... but now they're calling me a hacker!" :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Sirius, yes, I know that the pulse-burning in D3, alternating burning/tri-chording allows to increase speed. And not only this. But I talk about the infinitely great speed, which can not be achieved by any other means, other than hacking.

Behemoth, for example, I will tell only that there are people who for the sake of entertainment do cheats for D3 multiplayer. I can't publish record and screenshots where for me was demonstrated these cheats in action, as for me shown them only under this condition. I gave my word. I can only say that this is very unusual and fun. It was the summer of last year.

Foil, yes, in some other games me sometimes call the cheater when I play fair. It is familiar to me. It is experience :)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I'm with Foil here, sigma. Sometimes, as a less experienced player, it simply isn't possible to comprehend how certain players can do what they do. So you think they're hacking. As you get better, though, you start to understand just how deep one's skill level can go in this game, and realize those people you thought were hacking are just that good.

If someone has demonstrating hacking techniques to you, then your perspective is understandable. That said, why assume that everyone is hacking, just because you saw one person do it? Playing the game against better people is how you get better.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I don't accuse all. I tell only that that I see. And even considering a huge difference in Ping, I am sure that my suspicions aren't deprived of the bases. By the way, these doubts arose not only at me.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: skill development and the misjudged hacking.

Post by Behemoth »

I haven't seen anyone hacking in D3 in years, The last one used an aimbot, but that was about 5 years ago.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, are there even enough people still playing the game for anyone to bother with it anymore? If everyone knows everyone else, and some random newbie shows up and starts performing inhuman feats, it tends to stick out.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Yeah, some people just can't leave well enough alone.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I play 15 years daily in different network games. If it means something to you.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The last time I saw a hacker in Descent (altered tablefile, was moving through walls, and firing super-rapid fusion), was over five years ago. The players just moved to an anti-cheat server, which caught him immediately and booted him out every time he came in.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

Hey Sigma.

Players changing directions and accelerating fast, might be due to differences in the 'keyboard ramping', which you can adjust from the D3 option/general menu. Lower setting gives a faster response time on your keys.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." -Thomas Sowell
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Yes, I know. I have a value zero. Thanks.
However, while not denying the huge impact on the game too much ping, I still sometimes see unexplained things, such as the ship disappeared in front of me and comes out of nowhere in places where there is no respawn. I can not name a single cause of this phenomenon than cheating. I simply am surprised your not observation.
P.S. Though certainly I insufficiently long play to understand some specific things that is quite possible.