Almost back to normal!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

melvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by melvin »

i just started up with some recreational d3 after a 2+ year break and it more or less feels the same. the amount of players is the same. the level diversity is the same. i have the same chance of getting a good game in a good level as i used to. pxo is overrated, methinks.

(ps - my opinion counts for more than all of yours does... together)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

2 years ago I played 2+ hours a day. Now I play 2 days a week.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

AceCombat wrote:y'all stop bashing on the guy, he is just trying to keep D3 alive.
if he wanted to try to keep it alive he could have left well enuff alone.

Divided we bore (as I've said on shadowfire more than once, and a lot of ppl agree with me)

Alex, I hope you're happy... without an in game ability to track and join games I've quit playing for lack of functionality from that stupid ass .cx tracker. I'm not about to bust out a pen every time I want to join a game just to find it full by the time I get D3 loaded.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't keeping D3 alive, it's only put it on life support.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Back to Normal . . .

Post by Gammaray »

Nfltr8tr wrote:Descent has been one of the finest video games I've ever played. Much fun to play. It really requires skill to play it well . . . .

Has anyone ever noticed that there were players that went right to the game . . . . they were never seen in chat. Has anyone ever really given a thought to what was frequently discussed in chat? The rotten language, frequent referral to personal body parts and the skill in using them, remarks that were said frequently that would NEVER be said directly in person to the individual they were directed to. Conversations involving the use of drugs were common.

This game has WORLD WIDE EXPOSURE. It should have many people waiting in line to play. Every game on every server should be full.

Had I young children playing Descent and found them taking part in chat under the situations listed above . . . . They would play single player at home.

No steps were taken to clean chat up. What a fundamental rupture of common respect for others.

How many people were offended so often by this, even the first time, that they simply dropped Descent and went away. From time to time players got cursed while playing the game.

There are those who wonder why one of the finest games that ever was has died away . . . . before this comment is chopped up and spit out . . . . . Think on it a little.
Grow up dude, you can't censor everything... nor can you shelter your kids from everything till you think they're ready. (my guess is you as well as a ton of others have spoofed yourselves into thinking they don't already know more than you did at current age)if you think D3's chat is bad, you ain't seen nothin.

this point is also irrelevant to the discussion of popularity, I don't understand why you brought it up.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Gammaray, using the .cx tracker, you don't have to write down the IP address. If you click on the IP address of a certain server, you're taken to a configuration page where you can use a .bat or .exe file to directly launch D3 into the server of your choice. It even saves your command-line options. Using the .cx tracker or Kali, I've been able to join games just as quickly as when PXO was up. It's really not that much of an impediment. As for joining a server, only to find it is full: this happened to me all the time in PXO, especially with Halcyon games :P.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Top Gun wrote:Gammaray, using the .cx tracker, you don't have to write down the IP address. If you click on the IP address of a certain server, you're taken to a configuration page where you can use a .bat or .exe file to directly launch D3 into the server of your choice. It even saves your command-line options. Using the .cx tracker or Kali, I've been able to join games just as quickly as when PXO was up. It's really not that much of an impediment. As for joining a server, only to find it is full: this happened to me all the time in PXO, especially with Halcyon games :P.
And as I said before, IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ★■◆● for me... I've tried both methods, exe and bat, and it's nothing more than an extra step in inconvienience.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Gammaray,

what browser are you using? Descent.cx only gives me proper functionality in IE, and even then, I had to allow it to set cookies and such.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

actually lothar, I am using IE 6.0... I thought it was that reason that it didn't work, but I'm glad I didn't bother investing time into mozilla or opera to fix it... I was perturbed enuff w/ IE.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Gamma, I guess you missed the post I made about my launcher?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Gammaray wrote:if he wanted to try to keep it alive he could have left well enuff alone.
No offense, but D3 was dying on its own. We had to get PXO shut down.
Gammaray wrote:Alex, I hope you're happy... without an in game ability to track and join games I've quit playing for lack of functionality from that stupid *** .cx tracker. I'm not about to bust out a pen every time I want to join a game just to find it full by the time I get D3 loaded.
I am happy, but not because of your problems. I'm happy because D3 has a future now. If you need help joining games, come to irc.gamesurge.net #Descent3 and someone will help you. Nobody should be forced to bust out a pen (or be forced to use descent.cx) every time they want to join a game. It doesn't have to be that way. That just sounds horrible. =(
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Suncho wrote:We had to get PXO shut down.
So what if everyone who plays Freespace 1/2 is screwed too! OH WELL.... at least Suncho is happy!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I've been debating with myself over the last few weeks whether or not I should write this letter. Obviously, I outvoted myself and wrote it. I concluded I absolutely had to tell you that BUBBALOU seems to be expressing an irrational preference for remaining in some previous century while the rest of the world hurtles forward. What follows is the story of how BUBBALOU can be so rich in the rhetoric of democracy and yet so poor in its implementation. In a similar vein, his criticisms will have consequences -- very serious consequences. And we ought to begin doing something about that.

Although his pleas are a pitiful jumble of incoherent nonsense, BUBBALOU says it is within his legal right to deny citizens the ability to draw their own conclusions about the potential for violence that he may be generating. Whether or not he indeed has such a right, BUBBALOU, perhaps more than anyone, should take seriously the challenge to confront and reject all manifestations of revanchism, so to speak. I want my life to count. I want to be part of something significant and lasting. I want to help others to see through the empty and meaningless statements uttered by BUBBALOU and his mercenaries.

He says that all any child needs is a big dose of television every day. Wow! Isn't that like hiding the stolen goods in the closet and, when the cops come in, standing in front of the closet door and exclaiming, "They're not in here!"? BUBBALOU's mind has limited horizons. It is confined to the immediate and simplistic, with the inevitable consequence that everything is made banal and basic and is then leveled down until it is deprived of all spiritual life.

The primary point of disagreement between myself and BUBBALOU is whether or not if you think that the most deluded bloodsuckers you'll ever see are more deserving of honor than our nation's war heroes, then you're suffering from very serious nearsightedness. You're focusing too much on what BUBBALOU wants you to see and failing to observe many other things of much greater importance. Faced by such despicable perfidy and the frustration of not being able to respond to the same audiences as he has had, I must honestly help people see his brainless, pushy refrains for what they are. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but you get the general drift. It is imperative that all of us in this community provide a positive, confident, and assertive vision of humanity's future and our role in it. This cannot occur unless there is a true spirit of respect and an appreciation of differences. Griping about BUBBALOU will not make him stop trying to undermine the individualistic underpinnings of traditional jurisprudence. But even if it did, he would just find some other way to nail people to trees.

Let's be frank: His list of sins is long and each one deserves more space than I have here. Therefore, rather than describe each one individually, I'll summarize by stating that BUBBALOU's cringers say, "Children should belong to the state." Yes, I'm afraid they really do talk like that. It's the only way for them to conceal that we must step back and consider the problem of BUBBALOU's bons mots in the larger picture of popular culture imagery. Only then can a society free of his meretricious witticisms blossom forth from the roots of the past. And only then will people come to understand that if you look back over some of my older letters, you'll see that I predicted that he would irritate an incredible number of people. And, as I predicted, he did. But you know, that was not a difficult prediction to make. Anyone who has bothered to learn even a little about BUBBALOU could have made the same prediction. BUBBALOU is not just stupid. He is unbelievably, astronomically stupid.

He has spent untold hours trying to wreck our country, derail our civilization, and threaten the human race with extinction. During that time, did it ever once occur to him that the longer he wears the mask of corporatism, the harder it is to remove? I could give you the answer now, but it would be more productive for me first to inform you that some people think it's a bit extreme of me to prescribe a course of action -- a bit over the top, perhaps. Well, what I ought to remind such people is that I have absolutely no idea why BUBBALOU makes such a big fuss over escapism. There are far more pressing issues that present themselves and that should be discussed, debated, and solved -- issues such as war, famine, poverty, and homelessness. There is also the lesser issue that I want nothing more -- or less -- than to bring the communion of knowledge to all of us. To that task I have consecrated my life, and I invite you to do likewise. It seems to me that BUBBALOU is both benighted and contentious. Now there's a dangerous combination if I've ever seen one. Those of you who thought that he was finally going to leave us alone are in for a big surprise, because he recently announced his plans to slow scientific progress. What, then, does "ultramicrochemistry" mean? It means considerably more than any dictionary is likely to say.

Many people are convinced that I have found, to my considerable surprise, that he is a drooling, hydra-headed monster of force and terror. I can't comment on that, but I can say that if one accepts the framework I've laid out here, it follows that BUBBALOU acts as if he were King of the World. This hauteur is astonishing, staggering, and mind-boggling. I hope that BUBBALOU's ventures were intended as a joke, although they're not very funny if they were. I have this advice to offer: The world has changed, BUBBALOU; get used to it.

Maybe some day, he will finally stop trying to destroy that which is the envy of -- and model for -- the entire civilized world. Don't hold your breath, though. The first response to this from his vicegerents is perhaps that he is a paragon of morality and wisdom. Wrong. Just glance at the facts: A great many of us don't want him to palliate and excuse the atrocities of his representatives. But we feel a prodigious societal pressure to smile, to be nice, and not to object to his narrow-minded diatribes. Let us not sink to BUBBALOU's level. Let us combat factionalism by exercising our right to speak out, to denounce BUBBALOU's revenge fantasies as totally unrepresentative of the values of this society.

BUBBALOU doesn't have any principles, or if he does, he puts them aside whenever they're inconvenient. Does he think his arguments through, or does he just chug along on his computer writing about whatever trite cop-outs happen to suit his needs that day? I ask, because I am one of his victims. The best example of this, culled from many, would have to be the time he tried to pigeonhole people into predetermined categories. For better or for worse, if he can one day force us to do things or take stands against our will, then the long descent into night is sure to follow.

BUBBALOU wants us to feel sorry for the hateful so-called experts who encourage individuals to disregard other people, to become fully self-absorbed. I contend we should instead feel sorry for their victims, all of whom know full well that it's easy to tell if BUBBALOU is lying. If his lips are moving, he's lying. More often than not, he is locked into his present course of destruction. He does not have the interest or the will to change his fundamentally wretched cajoleries. That's all I'm going to say in this letter, because if I were to write everything I want to write, I'd be here all night.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Suncho, you really do love me! you took the time to find a 'fill in the blank' text generator JUST FOR ME!
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

Testiculese wrote:Gamma, I guess you missed the post I made about my launcher?
I guess I did, until after I'd made my first post in this thread. I have a nasty tendency to go from top down, and not pick and choose what looks interesting. (if I did that a lot of good stuff would be overlooked methinks ;) )
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

It was at the top of the list for a few days, check it again!

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2391

Do the full install, but don't get the update that has the pings yet, I'm re-working that, I made a boo-boo that doens't close the window when you launch the game. Unless that triviality doesn't bother you, then g'head and get the update.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Linky

Yep, this is back to normal for D3. :( Same ol boring levels. And people b*tch about PXO killing D3.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

That was at 11:00am! Come on dude!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

That was 4:11:00pm :P
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

lol
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

That was like 2pm EST.

This is 6:41pm EST.

Linky

Not really better if you ask me
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

CDN_Merlin wrote:That was like 2pm EST.
Oh my bad. I see it was 4:11pm. I read the time wrong!
CDN_Merlin wrote: This is 6:41pm EST.

Not really better if you ask me
Then join a server that's playing a good level. Find people in chat. Others will follow.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

See, the thing is, since PXO has gone down, I've played about 1-2 hrs of D3. Joining through kali or any other program isn't as easy as PXO. With PXO, we could elave a game and still have the game list within D3. Now, we have to exit D3 and relaunch every time.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Merlin, as I've said before, it's not that much of an inconvenience. Either come up with a better excuse, or play some more :P.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

ok, then I just won't play. I'll wait for lan's. Cya.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No offense to you personally, but I view this as the attitude of someone who really isn't dedicated to playing D3. The rest of us had no trouble overcoming the minor inconvenience that PXO's death represented. What's different with you? Does another 15-20 seconds joining and exiting games affect your D3 experience that much? I can only hope that your opinion isn't shared by anyone else; if so, then D3 will truly die.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Merlin, you're making the rest of us scroll sideways. please resize your pictures.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

psst, hey moderator-guy, you can always edit his posts and turn his pictures into links. (Of course, you should still inform him not to post pictures that are so wide... but... yeah)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

had to relearn how to convert pics to links like that Lothar.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Resolution was 1024 width. Use a higher res. With today's video cards & monitors, there's no reason to be using anything less than 115x864.

As for taking the extra 15-20 secs, yes it does bother me. I'm sure there are lots of pplp who tihnk like me but you don't see them cause they stopped playing D3 since PXO went.

D3 will die, it's inevitable. You think you'll see 1.5? I've stopped holding my breathe. We've been promised it for an eon and still nothing. Now that Mike has a kid, he won't continue with D3.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Not everyone likes their icons to be too small to read... And yes, D3 will die. There's no doubt about that, I'm afraid. But D3's death won't come about until someone finally gets off their duff and makes a game similar to descent! Therefore, what's the big deal? I can join a game just as easily with the d3.descent.cx tracker as I could with GLmax. More easily in fact; I never could get GLmax's game joining system to work.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Resolution was 1024 width. Use a higher res. With today's video cards & monitors, there's no reason to be using anything less than 115x864.
Good point.
CDN_Merlin wrote:As for taking the extra 15-20 secs, yes it does bother me. I'm sure there are lots of pplp who tihnk like me but you don't see them cause they stopped playing D3 since PXO went.
Don't tell me it takes you 15-20 seconds to join a game. With today's CPU's and RAM there's no reason that joining games through a game list shouldn't be *FASTER* than joining through the PXO list. I know it is for me.

Personally I found having to take the following steps:
1)Launch D3
2)Click on Multiplayer
3)Click on Parallax Online
4)Enter the Login information
5)Sort the game list (and hope it doesn't crash)
6)Double click on the game I want to join

much more cumbersome than taking the steps I take now:
1)Double click on the game I want to join
2)There is no 2

Also, I found the old steps of finding who's playing in a game:
1)Highlight the game
2)Press "i"
3)Close the popup window

slightly more irritating than:
1)Highlight the game
2)Again... there is no 2

Going through the games list to see who was playing in the games was quite a chore in PXO

Did I mention that in PXO you can't chat and look at the games list at the same time? How are people supposed to be able to tell each other which servers they want to join? Maybe that's why the level selection got so bad over the years? mmm?
CDN_Merlin wrote:D3 will die, it's inevitable. You think you'll see 1.5? I've stopped holding my breathe. We've been promised it for an eon and still nothing. Now that Mike has a kid, he won't continue with D3.
Just because 1.5 isn't coming out doesn't mean D3 will die.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Wait...you could find out who was playing in a server in PXO? I didn't even know that! Talk about an unintuitive browser :P.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Resolution was 1024 width. Use a higher res. With today's video cards & monitors, there's no reason to be using anything less than 115x864.
Not everyone reads the DBB on a new system with "today's video cards and monitors", and not everyone wants to run high-res. At home, I'm still on a 14" or 15" monitor I got from Value Village, running at 800x600. And here at school, I'm running 1024x768 on my 20.1" flatscreen, because I like for my text and icons to be large enough to see easily.

There's no reason you can't create an image that's narrow enough to post to the DBB without making me scroll. And if you just don't want to, there's no reason you can't link to the image instead of embedding it.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

You wanna play hardball Merlin? okay.

Just because you can't be bothered to resize your photos means you can tell us what resolution we should run our screens at? get a clue.

so either abide by my decision or you'll have your crap deleted.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Smoke another Ferno!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm a whiney retard that made the mistake of pissing the mod off.