Anyone still play?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Hypostatic
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Anyone still play?

Post by Hypostatic »

So I found this game in my pile of old stuff, and I wanted to do some multiplayer. It's been like 10 years since I've played. anyone still on? Any thing new develop in the last 10 years?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Anyone still play?

Post by Do_Checkor »

There is online multiplayer action every day, but it is usually not more than 2-3 games at once - and as 10 years ago - about the same ~5 missions being played. There are like 50+ servers online still.

If things are calm - as in: there is no real player - there are some servers with virtual multiplayers aka, BOZ - some kind of AI. So you don't need to hang around in a game waiting for nothing.

I'd recommend to join the chats on gamesurge and descentforum.net using Vortex from www.slyclan.de. Also: check the sticky topics for this forum - as you need to have your D3 patched to 1.4 in order to play online...

cheers!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Actually a year ago Russian descenters were made interesting fashion for multiplayer and a whole year in D3 these servers. But regular players still prefer more friendly Ping than new interesting fashion. Some records of these games here
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Hey Hypo - yea people still play, but it's rare that you'll find a game already being played. A lot of the time you need to sit in a game to get one going.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This is because experienced players can only kill. No they do not know how to cleverly play multiplayer. For example, some online games I can easily deprive many players motivation to even try to fight. But I do not. I never allow myself to have statistics skills even 80/30.
Of course, this is just my opinion.
In fairness, I should point out that Mental Floss is a rare exception.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Sigma - I'm having trouble understanding you - are you saying good players play too well against new players, scaring them off?
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
386DX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 386DX »

I haven't played for many years but next month I am going to start logging onto non-subway dancer maps. Thought I'd post incase there are still lurkers around for this game. Descent has provided the most memorable and fun multiplayer I have ever had. Looking forward to logging in as Somedumbass once more!