Major LAN in Chicago!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Make that 23, I got another guy interested. He's going to sign up later.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Kur... I'll bring as much of my garage as I can fit in a van!

If you need details, shoot me an email and I'll give you the list.

Clutch
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Mayby you need to "shop around" and <u> come up with a plan "B"</u> if plan "A" somehow fails so that somehow we can ensure that this will take place or allot of people will be dissapointed.

What kind of place are you looking for, I can check out my area and see what I can come up with.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

we just lost our host is all, when we get a new one it will be back. as far as i know, pun still plans to do this and I'll be there as much as possible to help. I've just been the one handling the public relations because my man pun works 359874698 hours a week Image
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Everything is a go for this LAN other than the formation of a network team. I'm happy to organize this LAN, but I do not have the equipment or knowledge to set up/troubleshoot the network. This LAN isn't going to happen unless I'm sure we can set up the necessary infrastructure to provide up to 60 people a clean, fast network.

With that being said, if anyone would like to sign up to be on the network team, please email me - d3pun@hotmail.com. What I'm looking for are a few guys who can get here the day before and put the network together, as well as provide the necessary equipment. Why would you want to volunteer? Well, how bout discounts on hotel rooms, free hotel rooms, free LAN admission, etc? Get in touch with me if you're interested.

Tentative date is the third weekend in July, but could change so as not to interfere with Califest. Stay tuned.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

If the LAN is timed properly for me, I can handle some network stuff. This is, of course, provided I can come.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

How much space do you need for the website?? I might be able to help with that. Image
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Probably not too much, 4-5 MB. I'll let you know when I get the files in hand. Thank you, K.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by punisher:
Probably not too much, 4-5 MB. I'll let you know when I get the files in hand. Thank you, K.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

np Pun Image
Do you have a domain name for the site, if so email me and i'll send you the domain name server names to point it to. Either way email me and we'll get this setup.
Mpnkee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mpnkee »

yeah i really don't use the Descent BB very much but when there is a lan this close to me then **** YEAH, i think i registered on the chicago lan site before it crashed but who knows. So like wut part of chicago is this gonna be in?? got an address by any chance?
HAWK-Liquid
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by HAWK-Liquid »

i live in chicago and would love to go.
im only 15 so it would have to be at a reasonable time and date.

also ill see if i can drag hawk shadoe sentinel and javed over to ..... 8 o )
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Kurupt, i need a monitor, and possibly a ethernet cable. i can get my computer up there. just nothing else.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

I'm pretty sure we can work something out with the many people that are volunteering to help out. Clutch charges 10 bucks per computer at his LANs, you'd probably be looking at something like that.

I don't have any news on the LAN itself, other than for pun: I haven't heard from chro in a while, I'm not sure if we're gonna be able to get those files in a timely fashion or not.

oh, and bear with us, we're LAN noobs Image
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Ok, I've been requested to Mod this one. So it will be on a tight leash.

Lan relavent info only. Otherwise your post will just be deleated.

EDIT: <FONT color="#FF0000">Ok, this thread was seriously edited.(By request) Lets do a break down. I am sorry if your post was removed, I read each one and if it didnt contain LAN relavent info it was gone, even if it was funny as hell...</FONT>

<u> Good Posts:</u>
Lan Info
Can you attend?
What can you Bring?
Wanting more Lan information.
How can *you* help? Image
How sexy is Gooberman? (Will be subject to content edit)

<u> Bad Posts</u>
What kind of truck you have
Wether your truck can beat someone elses
How rare your truck is
The fact that I cant spell
Who has the bigger big toe
Whose Icon should be on what server
Who started this
Who crapped on whos thread
Wether or not you want to marry Monkey's sister
Who is the biggest idiot.

"Why was my post deleated?" questions should go to goober1616@msn.com.

Again, if its not relavent to this lan, it will be removed, no exceptions. Man I feel teh power.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

You should get Clutch to do your LAN website, or at least base yours off of him. His "who's coming and who's not" list really sums up who is coming and who is bringing/not bringing their computers whatnot VERY well. It's real easy to read and somewhat summarize how many computers other people (like myself) will need.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

WHY WAS MY POST DELETED DAMN YOU ALL I POSTED LAN RELEVANT STUFF I HATE YOU OMG WTF GOOB YOU R A SEXY NAZI.

Now that's out of the way...

As I said before, I'd surely like to attend, as would some of my fellow Florida D3'rs. Let's push Daniel to set a date for Califest and then get this rolling...a firm date would make things a lot easier for everyone.

I have a couple of concerns, most importantly, having a monitor. Please find a vendor willing to rent for 2 days @ a reasonable price, or worst case, a CompUSA or someplace we can buy & return.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Equipment questions are popping up, so I'll list what I intend to bring...

Network gear:

2 3com superstack 3 24 port switches
2 dlink 24 port switches
2 netgear 16 port switches
1 4 port netgear gigabit switch

Computer equipment:

1 win2k server (fileserver/ftp/dhcp server)

3 Descent 3 server systems

about 12 gaming systems (monitor and computer) best to bring your own mouse/keyboard/joystick to play with.

Extra monitors.

There should not be any problem with equipment. If the site admins for Chifest agree with Monkee, we could show what we need there.

If I forgot something I'll list it later. Image

Clutch.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i need to grab a monitor from you, 17" or bigger please Image JK, whatever size you have is cool.

not a problem with my JStick and mouse and shiz. i can get those myself.

oh, can i get some ideas from you guys on how to package a computer into a suitcase. my idea for now is take my drives, CPU, RAM and cards out. carry those on, in their own independent packaging. and use clothing to protect the case.

what else can i do?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Box or crate the computer up. Buy dense upholstery foam or similar to create a cradle. One piece uncut on bottom, one piece with a cutout for computer center, one piece on the top uncut.

Remove all PCI/AGP cards & HDD; pad and pack securely inside computer, or place in other luggage or carry on.

Don't pack it in a suitcase. That's a good way to get it broken, even if you have a hardside suitcase as I do. My computer's frame is warped approximately 1 inch out of true on the bottom due to handling on the way to califest.

Additionally, remember that TSA inspects any and all bags. Make sure your computer case is easily opened for inspection or you may find crowbar marks. On the return trip from califest my computer was subjected to a crowbar search. Oh, and TSA denied both claims citing previous damage (from the outbound trip damn them)

Finally, remember to reseat your ram after the trip (removing RAM for travel is another option, but unnecessary IMO)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

the problem with getting it boxed, is that Delta, charges employees for larger than a certain size box to go down in cargo. ill take a hard case suitcase and tape Fragile and ESD warnings all over the mofo. i know about TSA search requirements, ill just leave the side panel on it without having it screwed in.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Got some bad news...

One of my family members just announced thier wedding plans...

Guess when - Saturday June 12th!

Murphy sucks!
WC_Kingpin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WC_Kingpin »

Hey, if Clutch can make it, I'm there. I haven't been to a huge LAN since Rambo's about 5 years ago.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Outstanding Kingpin!

Keep the wives off of our backs by sending them out to shop!

Seriously though, If your significant other chooses not to go, you can ride with me and you could give me a hand loading and setting up. Image
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Ok, so it's looking like we need to schedule this on a weekend that isn't June 12th Image

We'll work out a way for you to get some free stuff for helping us out so much man. I think we can swing free accomodations for ya, but I don't want to make any promises that I can't be sure I can keep.

I think, personally, that we should do this in late summer, like sometime in early to mid August. Maybe we should try to set a date and hope Dan the Man decides to do califest in the spring? What do you guys think? This is pun's decision moreso than mine, seeing as how he actually lives in Chicago and I don't, but I'm sure he'd be more likely to go with the majority than against it.

and pun, how do you feel about a D3 and a Halo LAN as well? Alot of us D3 ers love halo too. We could probably go 2 ways with that... stick to Descenters only but also play some halo and have halo tourneys and whatnot, or go for the big 200+ man LAN and get alot of Halo bastards involved? I'd prefer the 60 to the 200, but we can discuss it some Image
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

I'd say 60 person first, Let's get some experience before go for the gold. Image
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

I'm still waiting on word about the web site Image

I can set you a hosted site if you have your own domain name or
give you some room on the core-union site

I just need to know what support you need like php, mysql, asp, tomcat ect. ect.....
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Clutch, we were never looking at June. Sorry, that was a typo on my end. We're talkin late July.

AS far as the website goes, it looks like the person who has the html files has dropped off the face of the earth. We might have to start from scratch with all new files. Any EXPERIENCED volunteers?

Also, the idea of a 200 person LAN is just absolutely out of the question at this time. We're gonna shoot for a nice fat 50-60 peeps.

Kur, I play Halo too and wouldn't be against playing a little Halo at the LAN, but I'd like to bill this as a D3 LAN. Of course, people always play other games at LANs and I'm not opposed to it. But the guys who are bringing the servers are pretty hardcore D3ers and ultimately it will be up to them.

As I mentioned before, this entire LAN has to be a team effort, because neither Rook or I have the equipment, experience or time to do the whole thing ourselves. Thanks very much to those who have emailed and/or posted here offering their help. I'll be in touch with most, if not all of you in time. Right now, the website and forums are my primary need. Rook and I are busy with the location scouting process and really dont have a lot of time to learn HTML. I'd like to get a small site up and a PHPBB forum going asap. So, please, if you have experience doing this sort of thing, drop me an email. d3pun@hotmail.com.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Sweet!

Shouldn't be any problem at all. Do you guys have a domain name yet? I have a website I rarely use, plenty of space and bandwidth, and I can activate the PHPBB and get it running for you... My sites are kind of simplistic, but they get the job done if you don't have anyone else.

Let me know.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Clutch, thank you once again for your help.

Does your host support MySQL and all that crap ya need to set up phpbb?

Hopefully, someone will make us a cool homepage. If not, simplistic will do!
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Yup... Check out the PHPBB I set up: www.hal2003.com/forum

I'll throw something together really quick over the weekend. It'll do until you get someone with some artistic skils. I'll give you the address after I get the thing online.

Clutch
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Nice, Clutch. But what are all those error strings at the top of the index page?
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Dunno... I only get this error on this link...

working on it Image
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Hold tight, the ChicagoLAN WEbsite and forums are coming soon, thanks to CLUTCH!
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Back up and NEW!

www.d3chicago.com
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

stop in and say hi fellas!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

what they said
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

done. and done.

I acecombatted your forum

bwahahahahaahaha
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Woot! Lub you, Bunny!

http://www.d3chicago.com
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down Up and down.

Thats what the Chicago lan site has been like recently. Image
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

me, Shadowfox, and IceHammer are all interested. If me/SF went, we would need to borrow/rent pcs from someone like Clutch. We can bring our j/s, kb, and headphones tho. Is bus/train transportation possible? Is it cheaper than flying? As for rooming, we can stay with IceHammer Image (thx Ice!) Also, date sounds good for us. Plz keep it late July or August and not Spring! Image