PXO's website is down

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Excellent maneuver Image
Ha,Ha,Ha KaBoom
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
PD already has one.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. It only works if you use Hunter's D3Server though.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Kali is and always has been the way to go.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Suncho:
You're assuming that these newbies already have the game installed and therefore have access to the multiplayer menu.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I do make the hasty assumption that people who spend $10 for a game will install it on their computer, unrealistic an expectation as it may be. Image
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tyranny:
Kali is and always has been the way to go.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once we leave PXO, the rest is just semantics. Going to Kali does not prevent other people from going where they want to go. Kali may be *your* way to go once we leave PXO, but everyone can have their own way and still be able to access the same servers.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Solrazor:
Yes, I do make the hasty assumption that people who spend $10 for a game will install it on their computer, unrealistic an expectation as it may be. Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You make the hasty assumption that they already bought the game. How, pray tell, do you expect people who haven't bought the game yet to find out about D3, or once they know about it, to find out that people actually still play it at a place called PXO?

Forget about not being able to get a PXO account in the first place.
scottris
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by scottris »

(edit: doh! Suncho beat me to it.)

No offence Sol, but you missed the point. It's not a question of whether or not they'll install the game, it's a question of how they'll even find a copy of the game to buy in the first place.

The whole "How will newbies find us without pxo" side of the argument rests on the assumption that people are just picking the game off store shevles. But at this point, with the exception of a handful of bargin bins and a few obscure online retailers, where is anyone going to find the game if they're not already looking for it. And given the lack of Descent3 advertisements around, if they're already looking for it odds are they've been told about it by someone who already plays it. Which means they already have "insider" information, so they won't be totally lost when they don't find anyone on pxo.

Bottom line: With a complete lack of advertisment and very little store shelf presence, the only way new players are likely to find out about the game at this point is by word of mouth.

In order for that to work, those that know of the game must socialize with those that don't. One good way to encourage that would be for the active online players to play somewhere where other games are played. i.e. the multiplayer interface must service multiple games, with an open chat system that allows all users to communicate regardless of which game(s) they have/play. GameSpy (although I despise their ad-ridden interface) is a service that fits that description. PXO is not.

(I shouldn't talk, of course.. since I'm not exactly the "social" type.. Heck I can count the number of people I've told about the game on one hand.. but that's beside the point. Image)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Alright, since the server is fried, would it not be possible for community members to donate the parts needed to get PXO back up and running again?

Mark, if you're reading this, tally up what's fried and what isn't and maybe we can pitch together something to help get things rolling again. I most definitely have the time to build everything. Its just a matter of actually having the funding to get the hardware.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally sent by Mark Muller on Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:32:24 -0600:
<b> I've managed to recover all the pxo files from the toasty machine (PII 333mhz!! smokin!) It's all going onto a new P4 1.8ghz workstation that I "found" lying around. Hopefully I can get it back up and running by tonight but I don't have high hopes. PXO ran under cold fusion on NT4 Server, there's no way I'd reinstall something so archaic so I'm trying to get this
up on Win2k server. I'll try to keep you guys posted. This is a temporary fix until we can find a permanent (hopefully redundant) home for it.

-Mark
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Woot!! Now we need Xciter to authorize Mark's DBB membership. Image
Mark[V]
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mark[V] »

Hey cool, I can post.

pxo.net is back up...sorry for the delay Image was a learning process for me. I'm not a web developer by trade or hobby.
LunchBox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LunchBox »

Welcome.. And thank you. I am sure you didnt have to go through the trouble at all.. I would just like to be the first to say 'Thank you sir, your extra work is appreciated'

Box
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Thanks a lot!
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

thx mark, your extra work is really appreciated here.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Thank you!
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Thanks, it's great to see someone do extra stuff even though they wouldn't technically have to.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

it's up again!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Great to hear Mark. Image I say its about time we give Mark a good DBB Welcome. Image

Krom?
Mark[V]
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mark[V] »

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words.

We're in talks right now with Matt Toschlog and Kevin Bentley about them taking over maintenance of PXO. I'll keep you all posted.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

I too would like to thank Mark for his efforts. It would seem he has gone above and beyond the call of duty to make this happen. Perhaps I should make him an honorary member of Team [NuB]. Image

And to comment on the fate of D3, as Grendel pointed out, I keep getting applications to join the team from new players. Unfortunately, some of them drop by the wayside and are never heard from again. Perhaps due to the complexities of getting the game to work and/or the difficulty involved in gaining proficiency at the game. Needless to say, we have had 13 pilots go through our initiation process and become full members in the last 6 weeks. Granted, I have cut some members from the roster due to inactivity, but I guess some people have a life outside of D3. Is there such a thing? Image Anyway, the new crop of members seem more dedicated to the game and will be hanging around longer. Oh, and we had a couple of old members return this last weekend. So, D3 isn't dead or dieing as far as I can see, but the possibility is always there should PXO go down again and there is not someone like Mark to resurrect it. Since Suncho started his campaign to get us away from PXO I have advocated doing away with the login requirement. If I understand it correctly, this would allow people to join games from other venues without having to register with PXO. What would it take to do this? Please forgive me, as I know nothing about coding or what it would take to accomplish this, but I think it would go far in keeping this game alive and healthy.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

You'd have to ditch the ranking system, but I think most wouldn't miss it Image.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No ranks? Noooo! What will happen to my hard earned, permanent Cadet ranking of zero? Image

Mark, thanks a ton for all you've done. It's nice to know that someone out there still cares about little old us. Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by MD-2389:
<b> Great to hear Mark. Image I say its about time we give Mark a good DBB Welcome. Image

Krom?</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by SSC-Thunderbird:
You'd have to ditch the ranking system, but I think most wouldn't miss it Image.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you kidding? hostile would commit suicide
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

THANK YOU MARK!!!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

awesome job mark.
Mark[V]
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mark[V] »

I'll talk to Kevin and Matt about doing away with the login requirement, it would require a patch to the game however to get rid of the request for login info (otherwise people might hit that requirement and not know they don't need to enter anything.) I'm not sure what the status of the patch server is, or where it was to begin with. I just know it doesn't work anymore.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

So Suncho... what now BIIIITCH!? :-p
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Thank you, Mark....

And I think Grendel deserves some Kudos too......
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well it could just be incorporated into 1.5. Image
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Sting_Ray:
So Suncho... what now BIIIITCH!? :-p</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=)
[RIP]DeMoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [RIP]DeMoN »

looks like this has gone down. Is there away of getting it back online. I am trying to get about 10 new peeps to start playing this game. But they have noway of getting on PXO.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

guess its coming back like usual demon, probably they are just testing something.
[RIP]DeMoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [RIP]DeMoN »

here is what you get when u go to the website.

Error Diagnostic Information

An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to the service.

The most likely cause of this problem is that the service is not currently running. You can use the 'Services' Control Panel to verify that the service is running and to restart it if necessary.

Windows NT error number 2 occurred.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I know that Kevin Bentley is intending to re-write some of the PXO code. This downtime may be related to whatever he's doing.