DescentBB
http://www.descentbb.net/

\"Back when the greats were playing\"....
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49
Page 6 of 7

Author:  ReadyMan [ Tue May 26, 2009 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Birdseye and Nirvana (from the Asylum)were never a part of the Ants.
They made up Fist. Vander was in Ants and for a time was with Fist (I think).
Quite a few of the Ants roster rarely if ever played (like Barry and Stresstest).

Author:  Behemoth [ Tue May 26, 2009 10:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sure about that?
: http://www.d3tl.org/forums/thread.asp?ThreadID=6232

Author:  Jesus Freak [ Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

Behemoth wrote:
I posted back in 2002? dang, I sounded like a young teen. From the appearance of the stats, it seems that ROX were serious, and ANTS were like "lolz man haha duuuuuddde look at meeeeeee whaaaaaahahaha"

Author:  ReadyMan [ Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

Behemoth wrote:


Good catch. I stand corrected.

Author:  Lothar [ Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

Jesus Freak wrote:
D1 and D2 didn't have teams


Not on D3TL, no, but there were plenty of D1/D2 clans and teams. See Sirian's old-school history here. (That stuff's history even for me -- I didn't start playing online until 6 months after it was written!)

Author:  Vertigo [ Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Holy crap, cool to see those old names listed there... makes you wish for those good old times, doesn't it :)

I remember playing with WP for a short while, after CU broke down. Those were some fun times :)

Author:  Jesus Freak [ Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:53 am ]
Post subject: 

One aspect that made D1/2/3 so great was getting to know the various pilots online. In modern fps games, there is a huge anonymity unless teaming up with friends. I'm not sure which I like better; being a social covert and gaining friends online, or playing with friends offline in an online environment. That said, I brought several players onto the D3 scene, so I must be a combination. :)

By the way, Halo 3 is pretty freaking competitive. It's a love/hate relationship for me. :D If you play, then add me - my gamertag is UMBC SS.

Author:  Hunter [ Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Would love to see a mass return of D3k, ROX, Ants etc... Drag them all out of the woodwork. Although I am still sure that SOME of them play from time to time, there are so many aliases out there - only gotta look in Veins to see that.

Author:  Jesus Freak [ Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

PJB wrote:
Would love to see a mass return of D3k, ROX, Ants etc... Drag them all out of the woodwork. Although I am still sure that SOME of them play from time to time, there are so many aliases out there - only gotta look in Veins to see that.
No, they don't play. At least, me being in their shoes, if they are anything like me... then no, they don't play at all. It's fun and easy to check the boards, though, but reading and typing is not equivalent to playing Descent.

Author:  Hunter [ Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Fun and easy? I spend more time checking boards than playing, that's for sure :P

Author:  Burlyman [ Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

D3K is evil. :P

Author:  SirWinner [ Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Who drug this OLD thread back up?

I miss a lot of Descent Players:

CajunAce as well as all the Descenter's that used to frequent this board in 1998 or 1999 up to the current timeframe.

As well as all of those that played daily online in Descent 3 mostly.

Guess I need to reload Kali soon... Forgot that when I reformatted a new hard drive.

Wheeeeeee!

8)

Author:  SilverFJ [ Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

The D3K Site says we'd have to drag all thse guys up:

Bah
Baal
BFDD
Bonz
CrAcK
DaZeD
Divinity
Drummergirl
Gooberman
HaAGenDaZS
Krom
Kurupt
Matrix
Myzeri
Panty Raider
Punisher
Shiva
Skyalmian
Starkiller
Sting Ray
The_Rock
Tweety
Whitewater
Zero

Retired Members:

Arran
Beowulf
Crown
Chenjeshu
Deth
Diezman
Eyerate
Flanders
Ferno
Friday
Hacksaw
J_Ho
Monkey
Mad
Maddcow
Martin
MR P0P0
Necros
Neptin
Nexus_One
SirWinner
Sitherack
SilverFJ
SolidAir
Trinity
Wakeman
Warlock
Xecutive
Zuruck

Author:  Medieval [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:51 am ]
Post subject: 

/waves

Cobwebs indeed! Miss this game for sure. Thrashed with many of you at lans or online!

I.E Crusader, Jethro, Crusa^BoTs, Cruiser, Flea, Rage, Medieval, Tank, LazyboyRecliner, Skippypheeni, quickening...

Ahh those were fun times :)

I did just acquire a fresh set of disk... now i need a stick hmmm...

Author:  BIGRYE_MD [ Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

What about BIGRYE... lol Surprised to still see this bb working. Just loaded D3 back up, just waiting for an old joystick to come in figured would get on and see how things are.

And watch out for the flares on the windshield!!!

Author:  Ferno [ Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

bigrye never could make the cut.

Author:  Behemoth [ Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

None of those chewblets could make the cut :)

Author:  Fiend [ Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

u'll swallow this time beh, right?

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

BIGRYE_MD wrote:
What about BIGRYE... lol Surprised to still see this bb working. Just loaded D3 back up, just waiting for an old joystick to come in figured would get on and see how things are.

And watch out for the flares on the windshield!!!


And there are still new people coming in from time to time :gasp:.
As demonstrated by me.

Author:  Behemoth [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Fiend wrote:
u'll swallow this time beh, right?

Is that supposed to mean something?
From up hear i could barely see anything you post

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

I am the greatest. Why? No one but me has the material ship that they talk about in D3, and no one but me has:
Warp
Cloak
Levitation
Energy Weapons
Materialization
That people are so fond of in Descent 1 and 2.
Same goes with Descent 3 which also includes:
Holographics
Harnessed Fusion

The Pyro GX is not real, Phoenix, and Magnum. But D3's Pyro GL is my ship in real life. So behold! The greatest of them all! The best Descenter is the Material Defender!

Author:  Sirius [ Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

what

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Wed May 16, 2012 7:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

So... you're like a furry but instead of fur it's like, Material Defenders?

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

There is only one Material Defender, and that is me.

"Furry" Implies a person dressing up in an animal suit. So I'm confused.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Wed May 16, 2012 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Furry is more of an imagination thing really -- pretending that you're something else is always fun. And someone who doesn't understand that obviously has no imagination (j/k :P)

And you proved my point -- while the rest of us just are content to be playing as the material defender in a video game, you want us to see you as the actual material defender (the same thing furries want).

You get it now?

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Wed May 16, 2012 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

lol, if you really want to see me as the REAL Material Defender, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0PpMTf0UK8

If you want to prove a point, talk to OS 114.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Wed May 16, 2012 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

You mean the robot or his namesake?

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

You confuse me.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Oh come on, what else is called "Old Scratch"? Even if you don't know you can think of how evil the bot is and probably guess what it was named after. :mrgreen:

The only reason I like those bots is for how they actually make the fusion cannon a good weapon against something.

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Old Scratch isn't named after anything.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Thu May 17, 2012 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Old Scratch is a Victorian euphemism for the Devil.

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Thu May 17, 2012 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

The PTMC does not disclose were the words Old Scratch originally came from. There is no evidence in Descent 3.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Thu May 17, 2012 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Umm... the PTMC doesn't exist. Outrage named the bot as a reference -- and that fact is actually referenced in the strategy guide.
I hate to quote Descer but: It's a game.
Old Scratch is a euphemism in real life (or was, in the 19th century). And it's a pretty famous one at that.
And if you make another asinine argument about how fiction can't possibly be influenced by the real world I'll ignore you like the troll you have obviously become. Unless the argument is humourous. In that case I'll laugh at it before I start ignoring it.

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

The PTMC does exist. It exists on one side of my guns.
Your "Strategy Guide" is unofficial and has no place in the conversation.
You know what? Who cares what you think about that robot "OS 114 Old Scratch", you and everything that lives -except me- is prey to such a material mech. See you again when you loose your head to OS.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Thu May 17, 2012 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Why is it called the official strategy guide then? False advertising is illegal.
/trollface
Wow. I succeeded in getting a troll to act angry while completely keeping my head.

This endeavor has been successful! See ya next time bv1.
(And for the record, Old Scratch has never killed me. You sound like you may have sold him your soul though).

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Thu May 17, 2012 7:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

I've been called a spammer, I've been called a troll (before you). Neither are applicable to be true. I have enlightened myself by other people what both mean and been given examples.
Your taunts do not apply to me.

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

* * *
If you want to prove me wrong, then prove me wrong. Give examples of what you mean when you say trolling and how you what you've said here doesn't apply to that. Otherwise it just looks to me like you're denying the obvious. And making an argument like you are in your last post, without actually giving proof, is one of the same strategies many trolls use to make arguments go on for as long as possible. Also changing the subject of the argument in every post is another common troll strategy.

You can't help your case for not being a troll by not giving evidence. It just doesn't work that way. No debate can work that way. And if you really are serious with your last post, then giving evidence shouldn't be that difficult, should it? If what you said is true you should have plenty of it.

As for our original argument which you have ignored, let me repeat: Outrage named the bot after a Victorian euphemism for the Devil. Which part do you not believe, that Old Scratch is a Victorian euphemism for the devil, or that Outrage named one of their video-game enemies after an old euphemism for the devil? Tell me which one it is and I will provide evidence -- in the second case it may take a little longer to get in touch with someone from Outrage, but I've been able to get in contact with people who the rest of the community think are impossible to contact, so I don't see any reason I won't be able to do that again :wink: .

On the other hand if you actually are talking about in the story of the game itself, then we don't even have an argument. I'm taking a strictly out-of-universe perspective, I'm only talking about the game developers, and how they named their in-game creations. There is no reason why, in the game universe, the 19th century might have played out a little bit differently than it did in our world, and PTMC actually coming up with that name in a bizzare coincidence (though I always got the impression that the D3 robots got their "common names" from the rebels).

As for the post I made that started this whole confusion, I had thought that you must have been making some strange euphemism for "go talk to the devil" as in "if you really want to prove your point, go to hell". I didn't see any way that your post could have meant anything other than roleplay otherwise, and your refusal to consider any point of view other than your own seemed to support this conclusion. I make unusual euphemisms like that in real life all the time, and I'm used to deciphering the ones other people make.

Unless you actually believe you are the material defender in real life, I still don't understand what you meant (not to mention many of your other posts, in this thread and others). From everything I've heard (but get back to me in a few years when I actually have a master's degree in psychology and can diagnose these things) to the only-just initiated, you sound very much like you have schitzophrenia.

And I don't understand how the D3 intro movie is meant to prove that the material defender is you. It proves that the material defender is in it... but I don't see what about it proves that his name on this board is Blackvertigo1 any more than it proves that his name on this board is TigerRaptorFX, or Sirius. I'm sorry, you have to explain a little more.

Author:  Sirius [ Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

This isn't a role-playing board... but if you want to, I guess there's not much we can do to stop you. It's not exactly a bannable offence :)

Author:  Alter-Fox [ Fri May 18, 2012 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

I'm actually inclined more towards believing trolling or (more likely) schitzophrenia. If he was role-playing it would have been much easier for him to just admit that and save himself -- and the rest of us -- a lot of pain, confusion and arguing -- I definitely wasn't intending this to become an argument.

Author:  Blackvertigo1 [ Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: \"Back when the greats were playing\"....

Just watch the movie I posted earlier. It explains everything.

... Just watch it ...

Page 6 of 7 All times are UTC-06:00
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/