Does Descent 3 models use materials?

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Attack Drone Boss Robot update! :o)

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey everyone,

I would have posted this a long time ago, however my webhost was down so I ended up waiting for a while and when it never returned, I decided to put it on my old webhost. Anyway, here is a little teaser for people to drool on. As you can see, it no longer looks like a guidbot on steroids and more like a new boss robot. Yes, it has bump mapping as always as well and is about 2500 polys last I checked. I'm thinking for the primaries, probably some gattling rail guns or maybe three gauss cannons. Secondaries will be inferno seekers, basically, they are homing missiles that act as smaller napalm missiles when they explode. These are CED heavy military boss robots built by the PTMC as a new experimental weapon just before the PTMC went down. However, the CED managed to locate the blueprints in the remains of Dravis's stronghold after the fall of Shiva. This robot will also be animated (the three outer shells close around the main body). Well, I hope everyone likes it!! The modeling and texturing is completed at this point in time.

http://sonicstormproductions.150m.com/Attack_Drone.html

Sorry, no html codeing this time. I figured that for a simple page like this on a webhost a rarely use, I would be better off writeing the page in Netscape Composer as a quicky and spend more time on my 3D modeling and other projects.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Does Descent 3 models use materials?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey, I was wondering if Descent 3 models use materials? I noticed that once when I managed to get a ship converted a while back, I didn't have any a textures on it but it showed up as partially see-through and was very bright. It appeared very ghost-like. It looked cool though. This happened by accident before I even really knew how to use materials when I was first getting into 3D modeling. The only possible solution I can think of, is that Descent 3 must use materials like other games and I must have had one big material on it by accident that was partially see-through and had the specular light turned waaaaaay up. Anway, if Descent 3 does support this, I might have a new trick up my sleave. Anyone know for sure?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Might want to fix the link to the picture... Image
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Dude.. those stats are just sick.

Cool model ... but I don't think I'd wanna meet one. Image
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Insanely cool. I'd love to battle this thing! Image

How did you model it? D3Edit? 3dsMax?

/me clicks the link again... Image
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Glad to see you guys like it. I'm gonna try and get this in a level. I might actually see if I can team up with a good level designer so that I can make a number of other robots/weapons, and ships once I get the export utility for Milkshape written (which I'm currently researching so that I and a friend can program it ourselves.) Image
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

sweet! I gotta get me one of them
OnetoomanyDumplings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by OnetoomanyDumplings »

But if you haven't got a tool to make .oofs from Milkshape, then what did you use to make the attack drone? Just curious... 'Cause I want to try making D3 stuff straight from Milkshape, but I don't know how.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Class2 drone gets an upgrade!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

i'll take that ★■◆● down with quad blues
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

It looks more like a hardcore version of a Guide-Bot on steroids.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

ROFL, Guidbot? I don't think so. Considering this robot is 2-4 times larger than a Magnum and will turn any ordinary magnum into tuna fish. Image
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Ordinary Magnum huh. Well what would happen if I designed a Super Magnum 7 times bigger, twice as fast with eight primary cannons, 5 bay missile launcher, and 10 time the shield strength. So there. Image