Need rare scan of D3 box

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

gadfly
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Need rare scan of D3 box

Post by gadfly »

Hey,

Been looking for some time for a good, high-quality scan of the box cover from this version of Descent 3.

Here is a small pic of it:
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/34/65/eb_1.JPG

I think that this must be a European release version of the game, since the only people ive found carrying it on ebay are from European countries.

Im trying to get a scan that is at high-enough resolution to have enlarged as a poster, something like 11x18 or so. Really been wanting something to hang up, commemorate the game, and this image seems pretty eye-catching.

So, if anyone has this version of the game, or knows someone who does, please scan it. If no one has anything, I may just have to purchase a copy of the game from ebay.

thanks in advance,
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

That would be an awesome poster...
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

it is indeed the european version. i have it but don't have a scanner neither a phat inet connection to send it with. but if no one else is to be found, i can arrange the scan and send it to you from where i find a better connection.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

ok there's a 600dpi scan ( 66MB ) now.
how would you like it to be served? Image (resolution and format)
low-res preview
gadfly
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by gadfly »

wow floyd, that was fast. thankyou very much in advance!

Um, im not very skilled with scanning and all, but I need an image that is something like double the size of the one you posted as the preview, something around 20x26cm (16x20in), or something that has a dpi (i think that is the term, or resolution) that can be enlarged to that size keeping the same image quality. JPEG or GIF images will work fine it think.

16x20 in, 20x26cm should be a good sized poster.

Thanks alot Floyd. This way I wont have to spend money on ebay, not knowing what quality box i will get. Image

As for the size of the image, and uploading/downloading it, if you can get to a highspeed connection and upload it that would be great, and I think I can download it from one of the comps here on my school's campus, maybe burn it or put it on a USB key.

If the file is too large for you to upload, I can send u a blank CD, or reimburse you, if u can burn it and send it over. Although, I am guessing you live a bit far from New Orleans, LA.

thanks again, you are awesome.

gadfly
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

kudos belongs to Do_Checkor for the scan, i just played moderator Image. he also should be able to upload it for you.
(mods: is there something wrong with registration confirmation emails? he got none as of yet)

and yes, we don't live close to you. it's what, about 6000 miles? Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah, the problem is that due to abuse new users have to be manually authorized, but real life seems to be taking hold of way too many people lately.
gadfly
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by gadfly »

Cool, thanks again Floyd, and Do_Checkor, as soon as one of gets the chance, upload and tell me where to go.

If u need any help, please ask. IF you cannot upload to DescentBB for some reason, my email is below, email me, or catch me on AIM, Screenname: fatulerror

email: ufarooq@tulane.edu
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I gave Do_Checkor posting permissions. Let me know if he still doesn't get a email...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i can serve the image on my server with a decent upload bandwidth.

email me for details.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Hi All again!

Dunno why but somehow all my posts in this boards seem to be deleted - and even my account too. Maybe of one crash or so...

Here ya go: Now the resolution is VVEERRYY high. And JPEG-Quality is like 60 percent (high).

File size 3.792 KiloBytes

http://www.Descentforum.NET/Do_Checkor/ ... 7x5408.jpg

Feel free to do what you want with it. I have a version without that "Die Saga wird fortgesetzt" wich means "The Saga continues". But that is only the CD-Cover - not like this the BOX-Cover. Seems that the colors in this one are better - so I've chosen it.

So far again...

Nice greetings

Do_Checkor

PS: Thank you for upload / space offers - but i really have no needs Image

www.Descenforum.DE | www.Do-Clan.DE | www.Descentforum.NET
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I have the very same box with that "The Saga Continues" in English if you want it... want me to scan that?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Do_Checkor:
<b> Hi All again!

Here ya go: Now the resolution is VVEERRYY high. And JPEG-Quality is like 60 percent (high).

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOLY SH!T!!!!!!! i can see the actual ink dots Image

and peices of dust and dirt

GAWD DAYUM!!! i need a scanner like that.
gadfly
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by gadfly »

Do_Chekor, that scan is awesome! Ace Combat is right, u can see very speck or dirt! I swear I almost creamed my pants when I downloaded it. Thanks so much man, and thanks to Floyd too, and everyone else who replied!

Im gonna take this down to Kinko's and have them turn it into a 30X40inch poster! I was running out of Kinko's branches here in New Orleans, trying to get someone to realize they can scan a picture I give them at high-res and enlarge it to any size I want. And Kinko's are one of the biggest stores in the US that work on copying, enlarging, printing documents and whatnot.

Robo, thanks for the offer, but I think this pic with "The saga continues" in German has spunk to it. Although..I did come across one pic that had "La Saga Continue...". French sounds awesome too.

Thanks again to everyone. Someone should keep that pic up on a website permanently, for anyone else who needs it. Maybe ill give it to planetdescent.com.

If anyone wants some stuff from New Orleans, king cake, mardi gras stuff, fried chicken, Ill ship over to Germany for you.

Thanks again descenters! See you in the mines,

Gadfly
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by gadfly:
I swear I almost creamed my pants when I downloaded it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa nelly, too much information! Image
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Solrazor:
Whoa nelly, too much information! Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you blame him, gawd dayum thats a nicly rendered scan
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ace that's not very impressive as far as scanning goes today.
Most Scanners can do 9600+ DPI (that pic is maybe 300 or 600 dpi)

Now as far as trying to get that to a poster without having horrible output cause basically it is a SCAN of a SCAN(print) going thru another Scan(computer color interpolation) to an Injet(very limited range)

You could make a copy of that picture in Photoshop easily, so the only thing you would limited to is the Quality of your printer
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Thank you Mr. Technobabble Upto-Date Idjit........ i know what scanners are capable of, thats just one very nicely rendered image. but since now that you shot down my compliment, ill leave it in your hands to fix it
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

600 dpi, like i told...

i could do a one with even more - but the original is not good enough printed to have a need for it...
gadfly
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by gadfly »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by BUBBALOU:
<b> Ace that's not very impressive as far as scanning goes today.
Most Scanners can do 9600+ DPI (that pic is maybe 300 or 600 dpi)

Now as far as trying to get that to a poster without having horrible output cause basically it is a SCAN of a SCAN(print) going thru another Scan(computer color interpolation) to an Injet(very limited range)

You could make a copy of that picture in Photoshop easily, so the only thing you would limited to is the Quality of your printer</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried resizing the image in good old paintbrush, and it looks great quality-wise to me. When I bring it to Kinko's, they use Photoshop to do their printing anyway, and they look at a print preview of it before printing, so I think it should come out fine. Just hope someone at Kinko's knows what they are doing this time...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Hey Gadfly, when you do this tell me how much it costs. I'm looking for ways to beautify my room and this seems like a good way. Maybe print it on 11x17 or larger and have it laminated...
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Fight Club's Tyler Durden (3d model)

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Only thing right off the bat is that the eyes are way too wide.

Looks awesome otherwise though.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

something about the forehead ridges aren't right. too few and they don't follow the brow curve.

but yeah like Tetrad said. awesome otherwise.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Opened too wide.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

How do you plan to reproduce? you can send a file to a printing company that has a digital printer to get the best results. You'll need 300dpi @ your target size in tiff format, not jpeg. They might even ask that you drop the tiff into a Quark Xpress file and add crop marks, etc.

One problem. You're working from a piece that's a scan of 4-color-process printing. It has the 4-color rosette patterns in place already. When the printing company rips that file to eps format, it will reinterpret your set of dots with an entirely new set of dots. That's going to produce a moire pattern (ugly crosshatch looking stuff). This is called a rescreen. A skilled photoshop tech can minimize, if not eliminate the moire, but it's painstaking work and time consuming. Thunderbunny was/is in the printing biz. maybe he can help?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

either that, or you spend around $40 (?) for a full color plot with the right dpi-setting.
price depends on size and may highly differ at your place.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

umm, man if I could find it I might have a oversized D3 box somewhere!

no where did I put that.
I bet it's in storage at teh back of a 20 space Image

I'll look though!
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Holy cow... looks amazing.
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

Looking more and more like Brad... awesome! Image
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Dark's taking over Kuman's spot. Image
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hey yeah DT he does kinda look like brad pitt, good work Image. with the clothes, you can really give him anything coz tyler durden gets all his clothes from lost items bins.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

The moire effect isn't bad in this scan, I might be able to fix it. If you want more info on the moire pattern and why/how it's there look at http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

RC