Photoshop/Tablet Advice.

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Photoshop/Tablet Advice.

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Right now, if I get a pad, I've read several boards about this very subject. It seems that most like the Wacom pads. Either the Intuos 3 or the Graphire 4 seem to the ones they recommend. Guess size doesn't really matter in this case. smile.gif Just skill.

Anyway, the Intuos 3 is a bit high priced for my likes. When I checked it out, for a 6X8 it is $289 adn that is with a reduced price. Nearly $300.

With Photoshop that could run me up over $860 excluding shipping and taxes.

I read that someone managed to buy an Intuos 3 recently and it came with a mail-in coupon for $250 off from the regular price of Photoshop CS2. Now, if this is true.... I could pull it off and I would be willing to buy the Intuos 3. Why? Because you take that $860 and subtract $250 and you get $610.

A Graphire 4 runs around $180. Just right for me but it doesn't have the tilt feature nor the 1024 pressure points of the Intuos 3.

What I'm thinking right now, is that thus far I have been a Gimp boy. wink.gif It's time to kick some serious arss with my work.

Over a tablet, I need Photoshop or some better form of 2D painting program. I thought about PSP but I hear that Photoshop Elements is much better and simply a stripped down version of Photoshop. This comes with either tablet. I certainly am not going to become a master of Photoshop CS2 in a year. smile.gif Even with all the Gimp experience in the world. wink.gif

So, I could either go with one of two other options if the rumor of the mail-in coupon is in fact, false or no longer aplicable.

A. I could buy the Intuos 3 6X8 pad and try to learn the copy of Elements that comes with the pad for free. smile.gif Use that for a year until I am a student and can buy a copy of Photoshop for an el cheapo student discount price. smile.gif

Only a few concerns with this idea....

1. Will Elements work well enough for my projects?
2. Does the student discount version allow me to use Photoshop for commercial purposes? I know a lot of people that would love it if I could create some artwork for them. Including cover art for Switchback (A Metallica-like band who I am real-life friends with) and my brother who DJ's professionally along with a local guy who holds various Christian concerts (I am good friends with his daughters). All kinds of cool oportunities come to mind.
3. Will I be able to use Elements for commercial purposes?

Mainly, I'm worried about #2 because when I buy the full version I want to be able to use it whenever I wish for commercial purposes. That makes it worth it to me.

B. I could skip buying a pad right now and just buy CS2 and focus in on learning it by itself before I go out and buy a tablet. Even though, I don't really enjoy drawing with a mouse although I can create some pretty fancy stuff between Gimp and MS Paint ( I know I know, shuddup).

Any recommendations on which plan to go with?
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

Perhapse getting Photoshop CS2 first would be best, that way you actualy have something to make good pics with to start :D

Idk what a tablet is, sounds like a digital piece of paper plugged into the computer :oops: Seems more like an "Ooooo" device to me... Besides, learning to draw with a mouse means one more skill :D:P

One more thing...What's so shameful about GIMP? :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hehe, well a mouse really can't do everything that a tablet can do. A tablet is a flat pressure sensetive sensor that you can draw on while watching your monitor. It is much more accurate than a mouse but it requires a lot of skill to use. Most of the best texture artists I've met use one, including Darktalyn.

Gimp is allright if you are building amature stuff but it is a pain to use and to learn with. I found myself using WAAAAY to many filters and not enough painting going on. I'm actually working more on meshes for games like Morrowind right now and for UT2004 meshes. :) Morrowind requires a lot of detailed UV maps in order to make decent clothing meshes. :)

Blender has menu's all over the place and too many popup windows to deal with. Photoshop, you keep everything in the same general workspace. at all times, so it is nice and organised and easy to keep track of. There are also a lot of tutorials for it out there.