Is it possible to get this area?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Is it possible to get this area?

Post by Xamindar »

I was just playing through level 3 and came accross this area sealed off by a force field. I don't think have ever been able to figure out how to open it up.
Anyone know how it's done?

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There's a room (perhaps through a secret door, I'm not sure - might even have been directly right of that spot) with four triggers in it. I'm not sure what the sequence was, but there aren't that many to try; when you get the right one a message plays and that cell opens up.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Throw the switches in both of the hallways at the bottom of that pic then go back across that large redish chamber you just came through. There is a door on the other side of it that should have opened.

There is a series of switches that you need to throw and when you \"do it right\" that blue forcefield drops. You will know when you do it right. You will get a very loud Com Message.

PS: 38 fps? what are you running that on? of rather what resolution are you using? :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Duper wrote:
PS: 38 fps? what are you running that on? of rather what resolution are you using? :)
Thanks for the info guys.

hmm, I don't know why it was at 38. I went back through it and my framerate was around 200. But when I go outside it drops to about 50. Still very playable but I would think it should be higher than that. Im running it on a p4 3gig with a geforce 4 under linux. It may be because I am running two x servers on my machine (one for the xgl desktop and another when I play games).

What type of framerate do you guys usually get?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

QuadLaser (2) Score: 0

ProxMine: 60
someone is cheating :lol:
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

hehe, yeah. I beat the game a few years ago but was just playing around this time. I was actually messing with the --framelimit option and a few other things.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

nothing wrong with cheating in SP mode. hell it only makes it more fun.

i love cheating with the table.gam files

drools....... 80rps Vauss
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

hehe, it's always fun to mess with the .GAM files... I cheated when I was younger (and first started playing D3...) but I learned that it took the challenge out of it... but it's always fun to blow thing apart when you have every weapon!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

man, you should see what ive done with my .gam

spec out my Magnum:

LASER: Level 3 Green firing quads, uses .25 energy units per shot, firing @ 40 rps
Super Laser: Level 6 White firing all 5 ports, uses .50 units per shot, firing @ 55 rps
Vauss: alternating between 1, 3 and 5 ports @ 70-75 rps
MD: quads, no recoil, and no wait between shots
Napalm: all 5 ports, uses 1 unit every second from 100 total
Microwave: alternates 1, 3 and 5 ports, uses .33 e units, firing @ 30 rps

thats just a teaser for you
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Why do your weapons use any energy at all? That's no tease.

Once I changed my quad lasers to quad-megas. That was interesting.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

my tank fires dual mega's ATM. maybe ill give it quads or even all 5 points. MUHAHAHAHAHAAHH 5 mega's firing at once......... :twisted:

and i have set everything to not use ammo at all, but that got boring just holding downt he trigger the entire time, so i set it back so i use controlled bursts.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Geez, I remember when there was a hack for D1 that shot countless megas like a vulcan. It pushed your ship back so hard it was nearly unusable.

I once saw a class 1 diller's vulcan cannon ammo swapped out with merc missles. o_0 .. that was a bit ugly.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Duper wrote:Geez, I remember when there was a hack for D1 that shot countless megas like a vulcan.
Heh, I joined a kali game of D1 years ago and someone in the game hacked it so they could poop out megas. The level got so full of megas you could hardly see anything.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Duper wrote:Geez, I remember when there was a hack for D1 that shot countless megas like a vulcan. It pushed your ship back so hard it was nearly unusable.

I once saw a class 1 diller's vulcan cannon ammo swapped out with merc missles. o_0 .. that was a bit ugly.
Dude, I modded the class 1 drone to fire gauss.....rapid fire. :D If it hit you, it smacked you across the level! :D I also modded the class 1 driller to fire flares at 3x its normal firing rate when it had vulcan. :P There was no mistaking where that sucker was. ;)
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Put a bunch of those in a room and you'd see disappearing objects pretty fast.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:Put a bunch of those in a room and you'd see disappearing objects pretty fast.
That, or you'd bring D2 to its knees. :D I remember one of CM_Fultz' levels that literally brought D2 to a crawl because the sheer size of it pushed the engine to its limit.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Sort of off topic and reviving an old thread, but how do you edit table.gam files?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i dont know if we are allowed to discuss that in detail or not ?

Krom, KB, anyone? if we ARE, then make a new topic and we can get started on that.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Using GAMEdit. I'm sure Planet Descent has it somewhere.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat wrote:i dont know if we are allowed to discuss that in detail or not ?

Krom, KB, anyone? if we ARE, then make a new topic and we can get started on that.
Modding D3 has been discussed in great detail on this board before. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to now.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I.m not gonna cheat in multiplayer, but 5 shot Fusion would be cool in singleplayer.

I got the program and edited the file, do I just place it in hte D3 folder, or what?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

put a copy of the .gam file in the main D3 directory and it should work, assuming that you're using Windows.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

okay so we are allowed to discuss that.

im assuming you already know how to use GAMEdit
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, how do you edit how many things a weapon shoots out at once. I want my ship to shoot dual frags. Also dual MD would be nice too. How would I do that?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I forget exactly, but there should be an area where it says Weapon Index. There you have to enter the index # for Frag, and there is also a section that allows you to set the Gunpoints that it fires from.
BTW... if the best aim for MD is from the center gunpoint, then where are you going to fire the second blast from?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I forget exactly, but there should be an area where it says Weapon Index. There you have to enter the index # for Frag, and there is also a section that allows you to set the Gunpoints that it fires from.
BTW... if the best aim for MD is from the center gunpoint, then where are you going to fire the second blast from?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

My new ship I am adding isn't for accuracy. It will shoot from where the two lasers shoot.

I got it figured out now. Thanks.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Since there are no tuts on just .gam files (I don't know of any...) I learned most of what I know by making some changes in the d3.gam file and seeing what it did in D3. Needless to say I get some interesting results... :lol:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ill work up a tut on it. wont be anything special, just screenies and few words
StormGTX1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by StormGTX1 »

All of that weapon mods has gotten me to ask this important question:

How many seconds does it take you to destroy the final boss in Level 15 with the current weapon mods you've used listed?

P.S. I have NO idea how to work GAMEdit
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

StormGTX1 wrote:How many seconds does it take you to destroy the final boss in Level 15 with the current weapon mods you've used listed?
i never counted how quick he dies, i know its quick though
NighTTripper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Cheats

Post by NighTTripper »

Xamindar wrote:
Duper wrote:Geez, I remember when there was a hack for D1 that shot countless megas like a vulcan.
Heh, I joined a kali game of D1 years ago and someone in the game hacked it so they could poop out megas. The level got so full of megas you could hardly see anything.
I remember a cheat in D2 that gave you weapons that fired homing shots on ALL weapons. Is there a cheat for that in D3? It was kool to see the laser curving to the bot you were firing at ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

should be able to be done, ill have to test that