Descent: FreeSpace The Great War Strange

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Descent: FreeSpace The Great War Strange

Post by Glowhyena »

Clash of the Titans mission

Do u know that mission one? It is close to end of game. That has most problem. When SD Lucifer appears, it changes into wrong flipped SD Demon. My one of wingmans protects the GTD Bastion with 50 Hull when reachs the SD Lucifer. Then the GTD Bastion stops then strange turns and flips, that not stay its level. My two of wingmans and me attack the boombers and their bomb missiles down. When I jump out of that mission, then the mission said I have been failed. :x

My game version: 1.06

Please help me, thanks.

:)
MD1985
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If I'm remembering that mission correctly (and I'd like to think I am), you can't depart until the Bastion has departed, and even then, I believe that you have to depart inside the node to Delta Serpentis. Does the Bastion even jump out at all? If it doesn't, then this sounds like a rather common bug that often pops up due to the waypoints system that the game uses to direct ship movements. It's something that can happen one time you play a particular mission and not the next, so try replaying it a few times. Also, if you experience the same problem, try turning on 4x time compression by hitting the SHIFT + . key combination twice (you can turn it back off by hitting SHIFT + , twice) and then waiting around for a little while. Sometimes, the act of the ship swinging around wildly will let it get back on its proper path and jump out given enough time.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

yes, Bastion even jump out at all. We destroyed SD Demon then waited for Bastion told me to jump out but it said nothing! Bastion still swing.

So, I'll show you my screen shot.
MD1985
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Look that wrong SD!

I tried use cheat code named Mark all primary goals complete and Mark all secondary goals complete. They're not work, but it said Cheat Enable.

I don't like to use stupid cheat codes for my any games. I never use cheat codes for much years. But if my game has been happen and mission not complete. That means problem with bugs, then fine to use stupid cheat codes for one time as happen.

Later, I'll show you guys more my scrns.
MD1985
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

did the Bastion keep moving toward the jump node, or just stop?

Be careful not to shoot your own ships, or your pilots will turn on you. If you can take down that big enemy ship, it makes the mission easier. And, of course, try playing it a couple more times -- sometimes the game just gets confused.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Maybe they fixed a mission issue in the patch?

http://www.volition-inc.com/fs/downloads.cfm

The ReadMe File doesn't say exactly.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't believe there is any specific issue with this mission; it's really the way that the game as a whole handles the waypoints of mission-designer-controlled ships, particularly in the case of large capital ships like the Orion. Depending on how the ship's waypoint node points are aligned, it may manage to overshoot the end of its path; it then spends anywhere from a few minutes to an infinite stretch of time slowly revolving about its center of mass, trying to get back on course. :P Like I told Jonathan, and at least in terms of Volition's main campaign missions, this is an occurrence that sometimes happens only once in a long while, so replaying the mission once or twice would most likely be in his best interests. Failing that, waiting around for long enough sometimes allows the ship to catch its last waypoint and jump out. I'm not sure if this is an issue the FS2 Source Code Project has ever looked into. At any rate, I'll have to try replaying the mission myself; I don't remember any specific instances of this happening to me, but I guess it may have back when I last played FS1.

Jonathan, unfortunately, cheat codes won't do you much good here, since you'll be unable to progress in the main campaign if you use them. If you keep replaying this and getting the same error, I could take a crack at editing the mission file to adjust the waypoints such that the Bastion has a better shot at jumping out. If you keep having trouble, I'll also make a post over at Hard Light Productions, the main FS community, to see if anyone there can give you a hand; if you feel like it, you could make a post there as well in the General Freespace forum.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Come to think of it I remember this was an issue before, that was ages ago. It is very likely it was never fixed, was addressed around the \"migration\" era. :roll:
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Lotiar,
It stopped then swing. And we destroyed the big SD ship then the objectives said bonus. But other objectives said nothing. :?

Sir Sam II,
I already have fs10x106us.exe in my CD-R. I already installed it on FS. I don't have fs106-106ex-us.exe. Is fs106-106ex-us.exe fix that problem? Or other flie?
MD1985
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

I'm not sure it doesn't specify if it even addresses the issue, looks like it is just a EAX compatability update. I'm guessing you have tryed the mission over a few times? If so then like Top Gun said, you will probably have to edit mission file.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

YEAH!!! YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT!!! I replay it sometime, it works. Then I won all of missions! So I will play it again later, now I'm playin' FreeSpace 2.

Thanks of a lot! :D

I understand there problems sometime. Replay is better way. Look it out, this is next level. It stopped swing. I think I need to fly into it then completed.

:D :P :)
MD1985
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ah, I didn't know you had FS2 as well. Remind me to introduce you to the wonder that is FS2_Open. :)