FreeSpace 2

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

FreeSpace 2

Post by Glowhyena »

Bearbaiting

This one mission is too hard to complet. I tried to destroy all four of SD Sathanas' beams but one is remaining and escaped. We destroyed another big SD ship. I failed it 5 times. >_<

Can you help, please?
Thanks

:)
MD1985
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You actually don't fail the mission if you take out three of four, but you do have to fix the problem very soon after.

The way that was recommended was to take the fattest bomber they let you have, let rip with the Helios bombs on two cannons, then reload and deal to the other two. You still have to be quick, but it can be done and you might even have time to kill the flak cannons before the Sathanas jumps out.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Actually, your ship's selected for you that mission, so there really isn't any choice as to what you can fly. :P

To actually pass the mission, you'll have to take out at least two of the Sathanas's beams, but to take out all four requries both speed and strategy. Unfortunately, your wingmates are pretty incompetent at taking out the beam cannons, though they are sometimes successful in taking out the two forward flak guns (the secondary objective) if you so desire to order them in that way. Otherwise, I'd recommend having all of your wingmen either cover you or engage the enemy, whichever works better.

As for yourself, the first thing you'll want to do is double-up your Helioses by hitting SHIFT + /. Then, shift all power toward your engines and afterburn your way toward the first of the Sathanas's beam cannons. It's a little tricky to figure out the optimum angle, but it is possible to take out one of the cannons with a lone dual-Helios shot. You'll definitely want to be at full afterburner when you let the bombs go; I've sometimes found that being on the interior of each spike arm gives you a better shot at success. At any rate, as soon as you manage to take out the first cannon, immediately call for rearming, and then head toward the second. After you've taken out two, stop and allow the rearming ship to catch up and dock with you, and then go after the remaining two cannons.

If you manage to get a cannon down to just 12% or so (which is fairly common), unleash dual Trebuchets at it until you knock it down the rest of the way. As soon as you manage to take out all four cannons, get the heck outta Dodge and move out from in front of the Sathanas; if that thing hits you when it jumps out, you're toast. :P Also, if you hear Command give the warning to get out of the way before you've managed to take out all four, I'd advise doing so; like Sirius said, you'll have a chance in the next mission to take out the remaining cannons (although you'll have to move fast to do it).

Taking out all four cannons may seem next to impossible, but with enough experience (and a little luck), it's not too hard to accomplish. You might even have enough time to take a go at the flak cannons, although I've never been able to successfully pull it off myself. The one thing I can't give you any advice on is taking out the Sathanas's rear beam cannon, which is a bonus objective; I've seen it done in a video once, but I've never even attempted it. :P