D2 - Secret Level 5 - from level 20. How to get around?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

ohmster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D2 - Secret Level 5 - from level 20. How to get around?

Post by ohmster »

Okay, I am now at level 20 in Descent 2 (I know, I know, almost finished with the game. Sob!) and I found the entrance to the secret level #5 in the red room, with the boss robot. I go to this secret level and there is good ★■◆● to be had like earth shakers and extra life but how are you supposed to get at this stuff? I swear I have been in and out of this level like 10 times and you can see on the map where all this good stuff is but just about every door says \"You cannot open this door\" Grrrrrr...

...no ★■◆● Sherlock, I could have told you that. I have hit every switch in sight and am now leaving markers in just about every door I go through so it don't lock behind me but I still cannot get at all that good stuff in the secret level and this bites man.

Can some D2 veteran please fire up D2 and start in level 20. Go into the red room and fly all the way to the top and in the grey walls you will see the secret level entrance, easy to find, and then go in there, see map says \"Secret Level 5\" when you hit tab. Somebody please go into that secret level and see if you guys can get all the good stuff and just what do you have to do to get over to that part of the level?

This is drving me nuts and I want to get past this part but I hate to let all that good stuff go.

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
~Ohmster
~Ohmster
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

I remember, this was a tough one but using markers as explained in my guide will get you all the goodies.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Nastiest secret level in the game. The inspiration for a slew of worse third-party secret levels. *cough*

Best recommendation is to read Moon's guide - you'll practically need it for the tougher ones. They are not easy to find at all.

If you can save/reload in secret levels, you can also make your way around like that. Just don't shoot control panels until you have a fairly good idea what they do.

And guided missiles are REQUIRED to open many of the areas.
ohmster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ohmster »

Sirius wrote:Nastiest secret level in the game. The inspiration for a slew of worse third-party secret levels. *cough*

Best recommendation is to read Moon's guide - you'll practically need it for the tougher ones. They are not easy to find at all.

If you can save/reload in secret levels, you can also make your way around like that. Just don't shoot control panels until you have a fairly good idea what they do.

And guided missiles are REQUIRED to open many of the areas.
I hear ya dude. I think that was the problem, I did shoot out a whole bunch of switches, thinking that they would open doors, and not realizing that maybe they are one shot deals. That would suck. Going to read Moon's guide now, thanks for answering.

~Ohmster
~Ohmster
ohmster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ohmster »

Moon wrote:I remember, this was a tough one but using markers as explained in my guide will get you all the goodies.
Oh dudeness, thank you! I for sure need a good guide so I am on my way!!

~Ohmster
~Ohmster
ohmster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ohmster »

Moon wrote:I remember, this was a tough one but using markers as explained in my guide will get you all the goodies.
Moon!!!

It worked! I did it, I did it, I got the earthshaker and all that with you r demo, showing how to open the grate from the other side with a guided missle. Man, that was kind of tough. Thanks for your help, you are awesome!

~Ohmster
~Ohmster
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re: D2 - Secret Level 5 - from level 20. How to get around?

Post by Diedel »

ohmster wrote:Okay, I am now at level 20 in Descent 2 (I know, I know, almost finished with the game. Sob!)
There's still the Vertigo expansion, and then you can find a bunch of top notch fan made D2 singleplayer missions on my Descent 2 site. ;)
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

I also really enjoyed the D2 Maximum levels. Gonna put up tips on em anytime soon...
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you