\"Lost\" Levels at 21

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Mister Wilson
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

\"Lost\" Levels at 21

Post by Mister Wilson »

Okay, I have the blue key and after flying around several times I can't find my next step. Where oh where is that Yellow Key?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

check it out here!

Thanks Moon!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Moon doesn't have detail on third-party missions to my knowledge. And D1 level 21 isn't a difficult level to find the yellow key for.

If it's the Lost Levels I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure it has 24 levels but I don't remember much about #21. Best to ask DFW about that...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

After you pass through the blue door, you will see a half-open disabled door in front of you. Look through that and you'll see a panel off in the distance on a elevated platform. Either use your lasers or guided missile to hit that target. Its a bit rough, but its doable.
Behind you the vent ducts should open and you can access the rest of the level. Another hard puzzle that may be coming up is acquiring the yellow key. It'll involve using your Phoenix Cannon for its bouncing qualities while staring down a robot maker from a distance. Think evil, this level was made as a prison so you couldn't get out easily. So think about evil puzzles to go with that.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Well, I never found those 3rd party level sets up to challenge the original ones. So I hardly ever played them through let alone make tips on them.

I'm still waiting for someone with time and skills to convert D1+D2 levels to D3 keeping as much of the original look as possible ;)
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

that was vague, up to challenge the old ones 'how?' in difficulty, puzzles? what? Because some of my puzzles were quite devious and required guided missiles.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Moon wrote:I'm still waiting for someone with time and skills to convert D1+D2 levels to D3 keeping as much of the original look as possible ;)
Not sure that will Ever happen. Porting the earlier Descent levels of single is a rather daunting task. The contruction of the original D1 levels is so off kilter that it's very difficult to reproduce. (trust me, I've tried ;))

Then there is the whole business of scripting. ..bleh. There aren't many out there that script and I'm not one (unfortunately)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

In terms of difficulty, most of the 3rd party sets were tougher than the original missions. HOWEVER, if what you mean is from a quality perspective, I can understand - but there are a few out there - look up such authors as Luke Schneider (heck, he did design for the D3 team later on), Solrazor, and yes, DFW.

If you would rather keep things \"official\", though, that's your choice.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Anyone with the skill to port D1 and D2 levels to D3 shouldn't be wasting it on copying someone else's work into a game that's already 8 years old anyway.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Moon »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:that was vague, up to challenge the old ones 'how?' in difficulty, puzzles? what?
I can't quite put my finger on it. I just never was hooked to play on, most of them looked rather dull to me so some day I just gave up trying out new ones.

I actually wasn't referring to your levels since I haven't played any of them (yet).

Considering level conversion, I'd given it a try if said converter had showed up cause I just like the idea of playing them in D3 as well as just having them in a more advanced format that also might be easier to convert to other engines/upcoming Descents...

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

In all honesty Moon, I think the converters are lost. Ma$e had one years ago and if memory serves (after some time of pondering) The Olympic gold team had one. Maybe it wasn't them. It was one of the organized building groups about 5 years ago that had another. I never found out if they were the same tool or not.

Personally, I enjoy converting levels, but it's a gawdaweful amount of work. Lots of calculating and scribbling involved. ;) That and you need a machine that will not whine when you have both editors open at the same time.

Darkhorse, I don't agree. \"waisting\" is subject to scrutiny here. Those of us who do, do converting enjoy playing the levels and see it more as as tribute than an act of redundancy and futility. There are plenty of folks out there making original levels. And just because a person has the \"sk1lz to wrangle an Editor, does NOT mean they have the creative juices to make GOOD original levels.

Some of us were meant to be animators and others, the artists that fill in every other frame. ^_^
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Moon wrote:I just never was hooked to play on, most of them looked rather dull to me...
Um, been there done that actually. :) I've seen a few level sets that kind of made me feel that way as well - usually it was only the good stuff that would get posted up on the Descent Network that had much of a pull.

Well, I wasn't a fan of ONP, actually, but still.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Moon »

Duper wrote:I think the converters are lost. Ma$e had one years ago and if memory serves (after some time of pondering) The Olympic gold team had one. Maybe it wasn't them.
I sure do hope someone who remembers the guys who had a converter will ask them to search their hdds and release it to the community. Despite all the work I'd love to give it a try.

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

And Moon would be the one to do it, after all, he made all these tutorials, he knows the levels inside and out.
Mister Wilson
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mister Wilson »

I wasn't trying to start a debate, I just can't get to the key.

I do agree that there's no comparison to the original levels. Unfortunately, no one is making new D2 levels except for 3rd parties. And playing the original ones for the 100th time, even upside down, has lost it's challenge.
Mister Wilson
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mister Wilson »

I do agree that there's no comparison to the original levels. Unfortunately, no one is making new D2 levels except for 3rd parties. And playing the original ones for the 100th time, even upside down, has lost it's challenge.
Mister Wilson
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mister Wilson »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wow.. triple post.

no you can't trichord in forums wilson. ;)

Can anyone provide a link to said levels?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Moon is a she, and a pretty she at that! Can't say the same for her hubby, tho' ;)

I've had the notion to play DFW's levels a few times, but whenever I decided to, I couldn't find them, so I'd like a link to them as well.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Diedel has a bunch of missions including DFW's on his page:
http://www.descent2.de/3rdparty.html

Hopefully not including the banner frame doesn't cause any problems.

Edit: From what I can tell someone that is monitoring this thread has a broken e-mail address in their profile. If this might be you, you might want to check it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Wolf?.. is this your level set we've been discussing?

OOOohhhh... I've been thinking that it was a set the old \"levels of the World\" compilation....

Doh!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Nope, these are levels I made a long time ago. Looking back on some of the control panel puzzles I made for various levels in Lost Levels (level 7, level 21, etc) maybe people weren't ready for that type of deviousness in level design. At the time, the puzzles made perfect sense to me! XD Oh well, all I can do now is help people as they become stuck.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I did stuff like that as well once. Eventually realised that people don't necessarily find the near-impossible a challenge - sometimes it's just plain annoying.

Then there was the Obsid level 3 trigger farm. Wow. Even lost me when I went back to it, at least for a while.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Moon »

Testiculese wrote:Moon is a she, and a pretty she at that! Can't say the same for her hubby, tho' ;)
?

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I think we're getting our Moons switched up here. :)

I think Testi is referring to [CG]Moon and [CG]Solo from Kahn. :)