Which Descent do enjoy CUSTOM (solo) content for more?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Pick which Descent you get more enjoyment out of from custom single player missions::

Descent I
7%
Descent II
64%
Enjoy them equally
29%
Can't decide which one
No votes

Total votes: 14
MegaDescent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Which Descent do enjoy CUSTOM (solo) content for more?

Post by MegaDescent »

Well since this seems to be creeping into the originals thread, I thought I'd solve this issue by splitting it off and creating another poll. Personally I pick Descent II pretty much hands down because there are so many more awesome campaigns for it IMO. :) But what's your pick?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Which Descent do enjoy CUSTOM (solo) content for more?

Post by Sirius »

Descent 2 is pretty much a no-brainer for this, because you can do much more with it. That means there are more varied campaigns out there for D2.
MegaDescent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MegaDescent »

I would think no-brainer but also bet ThugsRook is going to pick D1.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

D2 for sure.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Not really much point to this poll tbh
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

MegaDescent wrote:I would think no-brainer but also bet ThugsRook is going to pick D1.
you are becoming annoying very quickly.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

D2 not only has more stuff inherently, it is also much more customizable. You can't add custom robots to D1 as far as I know.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Theoretically you can, however after you are done editing and replacing robots in the Descent.pig file, you better make damn sure it is the exact same file size as the original pig. Why? There seems to be some sort of checksum that looks to the pig file being a certain file size and if it deviates even a single byte, it'll crash out. Doable? Yes. Practical for your sanity? No, stick with Descent 2. Be happy you can at least do custom music and textures in D1!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Indeed. Some textures from D2 present themselves quite well with the D1.PIG palette.

Haven't seen anyone import D2 textures to D1, though, as everyone seems content with doing the opposite.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Actually, Naphtha made some MP levels for D1 that uses some imported D2 textures on them. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Pumo wrote:Actually, Naphtha made some MP levels for D1 that uses some imported D2 textures on them. :)
Sadly I'm not big into MP, let alone new levels :X
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I have done the same with a good chunk of my levels too. :)
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Theoretically you can, however after you are done editing and replacing robots in the Descent.pig file, you better make damn sure it is the exact same file size as the original pig. Why? There seems to be some sort of checksum that looks to the pig file being a certain file size and if it deviates even a single byte, it'll crash out. Doable? Yes. Practical for your sanity? No, stick with Descent 2. Be happy you can at least do custom music and textures in D1!
Man, that much of a restriction? I was just asking Blarget earlier today about PiggyDump because I've wanted a Rebirth-compatible version of D1 Vignettes' XL mods for quite some time (my freakin' laptop being too slow to run XL in the first place... :roll: ), and I had no idea the game would be that restrictive even if he and I found a way to get all the robot info into a PIG. I don't expect it to be smaller than the stock PIG, so that probably rules out any thoughts of just inserting dead space at the end of the file as well.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Well, D2 is definitely better for that kind of stuff. All you need to do to make your levels look and play practically like D1 are some custom textures, balance tweaks (done), restored sounds (done too) and a D1-like palette, which should be on the way, I heard. So yeah, there isn't much left to wish for once you've got these things done.

EDIT: The palette's ready, Pumo whipped it out a while ago. So now you can practically have it all in D2.