Is there any reason to destroy reactors on secret levels?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

ArkanoiD
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Is there any reason to destroy reactors on secret levels?

Post by ArkanoiD »

except just for fun ;-)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I seem to remember some level where when you blew the reactor, you were given about 2-3 minutes, becuase a door opened with a bunch of goodies under it, which lead to a champer with a bunch of other goodies in them... I can't for the life of me remember where it was though.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

In secret level 6 it makes sense cause every time you destroy any of the several reactors you get additional time to explore the level and collect goodies.

In secret level 5 destryoing the reactor opens a grate that will let you access some goodies including an Earthshaker. However, using a stupid Guided Missile trick you can open the grate without blowing the rector so you have enough time to explore the rooms behind. Check the demos from my secret levels page.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I think that was secret level 4. And if you're very fast you can probably clear the level with the reactor blown anyway, although any panels requiring guided missiles would probably be darn hard to hit with the reactor down.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Level 4 has only one reactor which leaves you 375 seconds to clean out the level on trainee which given it's design might still be not enough.
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

Before when Descent2 actually ran on my computer, I created a level where at the very beginning you destroyed a reactor to open up the exit, but the whole level was about 20 minutes of going through rooms destroying other reactors, racing down hallways to reach the next reactor in time with a bunch of bots in between, having multiple boss robots come after you, rooms with 5-6 reactors in near the same spot to extend your time to get through one part of it - constant time pressure was really fun for me, along with the hardened maneuverability of the ship due to the shaking, and the lights flashing...etc