DESCENT 3 PLEASE HELP!

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

iTz Just l3lazn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

DESCENT 3 PLEASE HELP!

Post by iTz Just l3lazn »

:? Hello i see to be stuck on one of the levels that i think is level 6 where you go around looking for these icons. the final icon in that level is the priest icon and i got that in probably 15 min. well its the 3rd boss level and when i got to him and killed him the game wont continue. I looked at the mission objectives with Shift+Tab and everything i had to do was complete it said, i even got the guide bot out and i couldnt do anything with him...I saved on the stuck part i was at and i cant do anything. i would not want to restart the game because it took me awhile getting there to level 6. If anyone knows what to do next please help me, also i cant find any players on multieplayer so if anyone would want to play with me then i would have some fun playing with someone again.
iTz Just l3lazn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Help

So if anyone has any info on this it would be good to have. Thank You
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's a known bug. As I recall, it happens if you kill the Homunculus in that room he comes out of. The only solution I know is to restart the level, sorry.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

You could do a cold start on level 5 or 6. You won't have your weapons and such, but you wouldn't have to do all of them over again. I've done a cold start on 5 or 6 and usually get enough goodies to do fine in future levels.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Is your game patched? Or are you just playing after installing from your CDs?

You can get the 1.4 patch from http://www.descent3.com. It'll help prevent the problem from happening again, but I'm fairly certain you'll have to restart the level.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

If you got the Mercenary expansion, install Mercenary before installing the v1.4 patch. Doing it in reverse causes problems.

So, when doing a fresh install:
Install D3
Install D3 Merc
Install 1.4 patch

If you just have D3 installed, skip that step, and then do merc and the 1.4 patch. If you don't have Mercnary, skip that, too.
iTz Just l3lazn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Thanks

Ok I'll try it and see if it works. i do have merc and i have installed it to the game. I thought it was like a map pack thing for multieplayer but i found out it was for campaign. thanks for your help and the only other question I have is how do you Cold start a level??? i dont know how. If i found out how to do it i'll post a new reply but i could still use some help on that to. Thanks for any more help.
iTz Just l3lazn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Help again

When i downloaded and installed the patch 1.4. i got the US patch 1.4 and when i downloaded it and tried to put it in the game it said something like \"Old File Does Not Exsist\" would i have to try downloaded something els? or is there a way to help that? idk.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

try installing the 1.3 patch. it that doesn't work keep going backwards.

I know that the MErc add on should have patched you but maybe something goofed up. *shrug*
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Duper wrote:try installing the 1.3 patch. it that doesn't work keep going backwards.

I know that the MErc add on should have patched you but maybe something goofed up. *shrug*
Patching from 1.0 to Merc to 1.4 is touchy. I find that if I don't mess with ANYTHING in the process, it works fine.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, I agree; but it didn't work for him. Wondering what the process it was and what version of D3 is being used. If it's the old jewel case,(in stead of the card-board one) that might be the problem. That particular release of D3 wsa a big goofy iirc and didn't like to patch.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

It's been my experience that if the person installs Descent 3 (any revision), patches it, and then tries to install the Merc set ... they will have trouble.

Clean/fresh/unpatched install of Descent 3 followed by installing the Merc set will probably work just fine. THEN, install whatever patches are still needed. Works every time for me. Especially if they user has the Dual Jewel set.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Mercenary Expansion will upgrade the game to Version 1.3.1 Build 567, so Zantor and TechPro are right about not trying to apply Mercenary after a Version 1.4 upgrade.

I have the following versions of D3 and use the following patches to upgrade (after Mercenary is applied or without Mercenary):

Creative Labs OEM Version 1.2 bundled with Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer (Model SB4760X)
Disk One is labeled: CD-C95-778-C2E, CLI Part No. 1713310386-1
Disk Two is labeled: CD-C95-778-C2E, CLI Part No. 1713310387-1
This version can be patched to Version 1.4 with the d3140us.exe U.S. patch.

Version 1.0 (Dual Jewel/Australian)
Disk One is labeled: CD-C95-778-2
Disk Two is labeled: CD-C95-778-3
This version can be patched to Version 1.4 with the D3_AUS_1.4_Patch.exe Australian patch.

Version 1.0 (U.S.)
Disk One is labeled: CD-C95-778-0
Disk Two is labeled: CD-C95-778-1
This version can be patched to Version 1.4 with the d3140us.exe U.S. patch.

Check out this page for more files and info on the various versions:

http://www.descent3.com/4_downloads.html