D2 Level 8 Boss

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2 Level 8 Boss

Post by Gremalcon »

I am playing Hotshot difficulty and the boss on level 8 is killing me. How do you fight a boss that can go invisible and seemingly teleport from place to place? I only have 12 guided missiles and 1 mega missile. My prox mines are low, only 4 and I have maybe 14 homing missiles too. I do have 200 shields and about 190 energy. I have not used any of the invis or invul globes found around the area. Any help on tactics would be appreciated.

This is the level where you enter the red area at the bottom of a shaft and once inside, you move along a short tunnel, at the end of which, you can look down into the area above where the boss starts out. There is a hidden door right above you at that point, with two shields and one invis globe. There are three levels in the boss area, not counting the exit area. In the top level, there are long verticle shafts on either side that lead to the exit and the hostage cell is at the bottom of the shaft on the left side.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If that's all the weaponry you got, hit and run. I dimly remember there being a spot where you descend to the (water) boss' lair, where the boss would wait for you to appear behind a door at a short tunnel. That's a nice place to fire away at it and hide quickly. You will probably need to save and reload a lot.

Using rapid fire and/or a kinetic weapon (i.e. Gauss cannon) might throw the boss off its way and direction, giving you the opportunity to damage it w/o it counter attacking you. You need to chose the proper weapon, as some bosses are immun against certain kinds of guns (e.g. kinetic or energy weapons): If you hit them with those, you get that 'tin can' hit sound you get when hitting something invulnerable.

Generally, you should save the big missiles (megas, eshakers) for the bosses or extremely difficult situations. Your equipment is pretty measly. It looks like you have wasted too many good weapons before reaching the boss. Btw, there is a boss every 4 levels, and if you think that boss is hard to beat, wait for the final one ... :wink:
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

What do you mean by "theres a boss every 4 levels"? I have fought a boss on every level of the game. There is a boss on every level. Your reply makes no sense to me. What water level boss are you talking about? I really don't understand your reply.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There is an especially big, tough and mean robot every 4 levels in the D2 single player campaign. That's what I call 'boss'. Killing that robot will end the level, instead of destroying a reactor. There is definitely not a boss robot in every level, usually the levels are ended by destroying a reactor.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

Well, I am on level 8 of D2 right now and on each level so far, I have fought a robot, destroyed it and the mines have blown up. There has never been a level where I killed a boss and did not have to make a fast run for the exit. Are you sure you are not thinking of D1? I have never played that one but I have played D2 completely through years ago and what you are saying does not coinside with memory or present experience.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Gremalcon,

if you are not playing a modified version of the D2 main single player campaign, this simply cannot be. I have played it myself, and there are only 5 boss robots in the complete robot set of D2.

I also have just built the newest version of the official level editor created by Bryan Aamot, and if I look into the D2 main campaign levels, there is only a boss robot every 4 levels.

Are you sure you are not mistaking the stationary red&white thingies firing slow red fire balls with robots? These things are reactors.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

D2 = boss every 4 levels.

Level 1 = blow reactor (red stationary object firing red plasmaish blobs) and fly to exit

Levels 2-3 = same as level 1.

Level 4 = boss robot, then exit, no reactor to destroy

Levels 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24 all have boss robots similar to level 4. The levels inbetween have reactors instead of bosses. I played D2 (and D1 for that matter) since the demo came out, so I'm positive that's correct.

As for the boss, you'd just gotta hurl your best weapons at it while it's not teleporting, and dodge all its fire. The thing I tend to notice is single-player does not develop aiming and dodging skills all that well. Playing some multiplayer D1-D3 would sharpen your skills by an enormous amount, and the bosses will seem much easier.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

Ok, I feel really dumb now. I don't know what my problem was but I just could not understand what you were saying yesterday and today, I woke up and realized how really stupid I sounded in my posts. I apologize. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Heh, np. I figured you mistook the reactors for robots. Understably enough, as they shoot at you. :wink:

Now you know that a reactor is peanuts compared to a boss robot.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

This might help when battling bosses:

http://moon.descent-3.com/d2boss.html