Enemy flash missile discrepancy between Dos/Rebirth?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Enemy flash missile discrepancy between Dos/Rebirth?

Post by kakhome1 »

I don't want LightWolf's (EDIT: I had meant to say Naphtha's!) Plutonian Shores thread to devolve into a lot of discussion on this topic, so I'm also going to post it in a separate thread. Anyways, I suspect that in D2X-Rebirth, enemy flash missiles do not blind the player as much as they do in DosBOX, which as a result makes Rebrith play notably easier in any level or mission that makes use of robots shooting flash missiles. That is a major flaw of the port IMO, as difficulty in no way should be nerfed relative to the original exe.

So, can someone try the following simple experiment and see if they reproduce my result?:

1) Using either DosBOX or D2X-Rebirth, start 'The Enemy Within' on Level 16 on Hotshot skill.
2) Open up the first door and let a flash missile from the Kalki beyond that door hit you.
3) Take note of how strongly blinded you are after being hit.
4) Repeat the three steps above using whichever engine you did not use in #1 (i.e. use DosBOX now if you had chosen D2X-Rebirth).
5) Is the blinding effect notably stronger in DosBOX compared to D2X-Rebirth?
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Enemy flash missile discrepancy between Dos/Rebirth?

Post by LightWolf »

I didn't make Plutonian Shores, nor do I claim any part of it. IIRC Naphtha made it.
If you wanna know about my project, look for Substance.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Oops that was a typo! I meant Naphtha there. Fixed, sorry about that.

Also Descent 1.5 for you though. You have like fifteen levels for it already available on the DMDB, that's a substantial body of work. And, it's something that can actually be downloaded already (not to say I'm not looking forward to both, whenever in the distant future they shall arrive!).
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

kakhome1 wrote:Oops that was a typo! I meant Naphtha there. Fixed, sorry about that.

Also Descent 1.5 for you though. You have like fifteen levels for it already available on the DMDB, that's a substantial body of work. And, it's something that can actually be downloaded already (not to say I'm not looking forward to both, whenever in the distant future they shall arrive!).
Well to be fair, those are in fact levels he submitted for the project but didn't get accepted (with like 3 exceptions maybe), so don't think they in any way reflect what Descent 1,5 will be like :D

Everything is documented in the thread.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

@Xfing Which levels (that are on DMDB) were rejected and for what reason(s)?
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

kakhome1 wrote:@Xfing Which levels (that are on DMDB) were rejected and for what reason(s)?
Again, check out the thread, there is a list of levels currently in that you can read. You'll see that LightWolf currently has 3 slots, so all the rest of his levels were rejected. That's why I'd say it was quite imprudent of him to post those levels to DMDB right away, but oh well, what can you do. And why were the levels rejected? Lazy, sloppy, bad geometry, sections copied off other levels and general irreverence of guidelines.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I actually have four slots (though the fourth came after I switched to using Google Drive). Also, some of those comments are only relevant to years ago (copying namely). IIRC I took all plagiaristic submissions off of DMDB.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter