Dr. Phobos is indestructible!?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Dr. Phobos is indestructible!?

Post by Darth Wang »

Hi, I recently reinstalled D1 and D2 and finally got D2X-XL working on my new computer, so I decided to play some old campaigns I remembered from back in the day, I was playing Phobos Encounter, and on the final level I blew away his first form (the green-blue D1 Level 27 boss) with 1 Earthshaker, but then it released a Pyro he was in, and despite using all of my remaining earthshakers, megas, and other missiles I couldn't hurt him.

Things to note:

- His pyro didn't attack, it just made noises and floated around, occasionally moving super fast to the side (like faster than a Vulcan/Gauss shot)
- In case he was invulnerable to matter weapons, I tried energy weapons too, but they didn't work either
- The invincibility sound effect when an invulnerable object was hit was not present, anything that hit him made the normal sound effect
- I decided to cheat and get unlimited ammo, rapidfire, homing, and bouncing (why not?) weapons, and then unloaded a bazillion earthshakers and everything else on him. No dice.
- The level said there were 2 robots left, when I used the "Spaniard" code it said 0 robots were toasted and the counter still read 2, Phobos was unaffected
- I eventually used delshiftb to finish the level

Any ideas how to fix this?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Dr. Phobos is indestructible!?

Post by Sirius »

Hmmmm. We played that level set in co-op a few weeks ago.

I'm going to guess you found a bug in D2X-XL.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

There are actually two pyrobots in the level. The other one is by the door you go through to get the red key (probably inserted in case the "first phase" didn't drop the real pyrobot). In standard D2, destroying the original would also destroy the alternate.

Edit: The other version is actually unreachable, which, synthesized with boss mechanics and experience, suggests that it actually "cancels out" the reactor. My only advice is to turn off multiple bosses, and, if possible, reload the level at the point you were at before attacking the initial boss.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

D2X-XL doesn't have that as an option anymore, the multiple boss behaviour is off automatically unless you're playing a D2X-XL type map. I think it's implemented as a mission flag in that case, but either way it won't have been the problem.
Even if that was an option reloading a save within the map probably wouldn't help, you'd need to load from the previous map.
Please stop and look and make sure before you just decide that you know.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

If that's the case, then I don't know why the boss isn't working. I was just putting the soultion I know on the table from the most recent working version for me...

I do know for sure about the second boss, though. (I did look!)
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter