AWWW!!! What happened? I was having a great co-op game!?!

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

AWWW!!! What happened? I was having a great co-op game!?!

Post by Xamindar »

The game dissapeared :cry: There are so few coop games around, none most of the time... I was having a great time playing then all of a sudden the robots didnt blow up any more and you were frozen PID. I forgot your name, was it PID? I should have taken a screenshot.

We rescued the shuttle together, stole the data together, then ...... nothing. :(

I want more coop games! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Moved to Descent Single Player Forum. Ya might find some peeps in here that will coop with ya, bud.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Hmm, ok. :P

I hope the guy I was just playing with comes here.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That's a classic co-op server crash. D3's co-op code is pretty buggy, so things like that happen a lot. If you're staring your own game, I think a smart idea would be to have everyone meet somewhere, such as the D3 IRC chat server, in the event of a crash, so that you could re-organize the game.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

hey xamidar, topgun guessed it right, the coop-server crashed yesterday, and since it was 2am here, i decided to take a nap ;)

but i am a big coop fan and start this kind of games often, so we will most likely have the opportunity to play coop again :)

gg yesterday, big fun.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Hey DigiJo, how do you set the weapon respawn rate so fast? I was playing a coop game with a friend last night and it was no fun with the normal, slow rate.

EDIT: Oh nevermind. :roll: :oops: I just launched the game and saw the option. I must be going blind.

In an attempt at making this post a useful one, anyone know of any good coop levels or missions?

EDIT AGAIN: Actually, I can't get respawning to be as fast as you had it. What's your secret?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Other than the main D3 campaign, there's not really much in the way of co-op missions. I know a co-op version of Monument-12 was released fairly recently, and I'm pretty sure that Kyouryuu's Reactor Gamma is co-op compatible, but other than that, I can't think of anything.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

okay since i am a big coop-fan, here are some tips about hosting one:

-network-mode:
i usually host coops in p2p-mode and play on the same maschine cause that reduces the crahs-happyness of d3. for some odd reason coops in cs, cs/d crash more often. (its probably my uploadspeed i have only like 256k avaible)

-pps:
use at least 10 pakets per second, 12 is better. coop causes a lot of datatraffic and people will disconnect more often if lower then 10 pps is set.

-playernumbers:
coop can be played with max 4 players, if you host a cs/d server you can only play with 3 cause the dedi takes 1 slot.

-respawnrate:
when starting the game, you can set the respawnrate for powerups to a minimum of 10 seconds, even if you put in lower values, d3 will take 10 seconds. but coop is no fun with blues and a few concs, so after starting the game press f8 and type:

$setrespawntime 1

and you will have 1 second fast respawns. (only the player that started the coop can do that cause he is "server")

-levels:
descent3 retribution provides 17 levels for coop (1-15 and 2 secrets) my favourites are 12, 15 and 17, but most of the others are good too. some of the retri-levels will cause strange bugs during game, for example the powerup-respawn will stop after a while and you have to fight without supply :) level 14 is an example for this.

there are a few custom sp-missions that allow coop like monument and some levels from solrazor (kyo).

mercenary can´t be used for coop, it works only with a little trick. and even then only a few levels of merc can be played in coop cause of the levelscripting (well you can play all but finish only a few). mission-critical items are missing if hosted in coop.

merc levels that work in coop: 1,2,4 and 6.

-playertips:
as player you should follow some rules:

1. dont use guidebot, let it out only if absolute nessecary. guidebot will pretty sure crash the coop. (i have seen server crashing even if some player switch on headlight)

2. remove your gam-hacks before you join, you will crash the server, you lamer :P (j/k)

3. almost every retri-level has a few spots, if a player goes there the server will most likely crash. dont ask me why. an example would be the small corner in secret2 where the massdriver is, or in level 15 the place with the bomb-game. there is a small hidden cave with a flametrooper, dont go there.

4. listen to the gamehoster and do what he says, coop is not "lone ranger rushes through the game and ruins it for the others" its name is cooperative for a reason.
some of the levels have scripting-bugs like closing forcefields and doors. if the gamehoster says: "dont go in the room" then gdamit dont go in there :)
for example retri level 6, 12 and 15. nothing worse then fighting 2 hours in level 15 to face the boss, and then one player passes the last energy-center, the forcefield will close and all other players are locked out.

listen to the gamehoster!!! hehe

however, a good coop with the right players can give you tons of fun, its worth a try. i have played most retrilevels probably 15-20 times or even more in coop and still find something new sometimes. the games are allways going different directions based on how the players move on and thx to the good robot-ai in d3.

Dig out.
kencl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

:)

Post by kencl »

Great to see some coop players around. I just got D3 installed on my XP system and finally bought Mercenary Expansion pack. I havn't tried online play at all yet. Where do you guys meet? I have Kali :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Kali's a great program for finding and joining servers, and the Descent chat server there is home to the D1/2 community. Most D3 players hang out in the official D3 IRC channels on irc.gamesurge.net: #Descent3 and #Descent3Rookie. You can use any IRC program, like mIRC or Trillian, to access them. As an alternative, you can download Vortex, a fan-made program that contains a chat interface, a D3 server browser, and level auto-downloading. You can find Vortex at this site.
kencl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kencl »

Thanks for the Vortex Info. Looks great!

I love Kali though. Been using it on and off for years. The first game I ever played online was through Kali. Nova Logic's F-22 Lighting II :)

I do know some of the guys meet there all the time. I guess the essence of my question "where's everyone meet?" was to find out if the Kali crowd (more like a frat house...) of, oh 20 people on an average weekend is a good size or if there was somewhere more popular. This forum is fairy active, which is a good sign :)

Guess I'm stearing this thread on quite the tangent, but hey, so's posting about a coop problem in the single player forum ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've seen over 30 people in Kali chat, and there are more than 40 while a D2 Revival was going on. The D3 IRC channel regularly has 20-30 people, and the Rookie channel usually has between 5 and 10. As for somewhere more active, there really isn't anywhere else. :P