Holy cow, this place still exists?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

Hey Honest Bob! Another familiar face!

Drama indeed!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Beowulf wrote:It's simply a release from the pressures of real life due to the fact that everyone is nameless and faceless.... You're just a bunch of pixels on a monitor.
I'm pretty sure there are real people behind those pixels. I've met plenty of them. This isn't an anonymous collection of nameless and faceless people to a lot of us. I've met probably 150+ Descent players, visited some of their houses, and had serious and respectful discussions with a lot of people here.

It's a mark of character if you treat people with respect even though you can't see their faces. TIGERassault is right -- your character doesn't magically disappear and get replaced by a temporary one when you're on the internet. You might just show aspects of it you're not willing to show elsewhere.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Lothar wrote:
Beowulf wrote:It's simply a release from the pressures of real life due to the fact that everyone is nameless and faceless.... You're just a bunch of pixels on a monitor.
I'm pretty sure there are real people behind those pixels. I've met plenty of them. This isn't an anonymous collection of nameless and faceless people to a lot of us. I've met probably 150+ Descent players, visited some of their houses, and had serious and respectful discussions with a lot of people here.

It's a mark of character if you treat people with respect even though you can't see their faces. TIGERassault is right -- your character doesn't magically disappear and get replaced by a temporary one when you're on the internet. You might just show aspects of it you're not willing to show elsewhere.

ooouch..

true but ouch!

;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

IMO there is no real place for laying into people. Except maybe an anonymous scratchboard or the graffiti you so often see in college bathrooms. :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Lothar wrote:

x2
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

I always knew Lothar was a good guy
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Ya know, the Descent community was always a very unique one. Ive participated in various online communities over the years and in no other community would there exist the kind of drama that takes place here, and this kind of stuff has been going on for years. Then again, it was always the minority with the biggest mouths, and they never seem to go away even after the trash has been taken out.

Take two:
Hey, welcome back Scorch! So what you up to these days?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Top Wop wrote:Ya know, the Descent community was always a very unique one. Ive participated in various online communities over the years and in no other community would there exist the kind of drama that takes place here, and this kind of stuff has been going on for years. Then again, it was always the minority with the biggest mouths, and they never seem to go away even after the trash has been taken out.

Take two:
Hey, welcome back Scorch! So what you up to these days?
I fight for what I believe in.... drama or no drama.

Bee
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Bet51987 wrote: I fight for what I believe in.... drama or no drama.
Bee
So do I. One of the things I believe in is freedom of speech. :)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

If I seriously intended disrespect or to actually hurt people's feelings you'd be correct Lothar. I, on the other hand, am just screwing around. weee
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

punisher wrote:
Bet51987 wrote: I fight for what I believe in.... drama or no drama.
Bee
So do I. One of the things I believe in is freedom of speech. :)
Very broad statement. So do I. But my character determines my limits.

We can't help what we are. :)

Bee
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Beowulf wrote:If I seriously intended disrespect or to actually hurt people's feelings you'd be correct Lothar. I, on the other hand, am just screwing around. weee
Your wrong. It did hurt.

Bee
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Beowulf wrote:If I seriously intended disrespect or to actually hurt people's feelings you'd be correct Lothar. I, on the other hand, am just screwing around. weee
Clever defense, but it's total BS.

Hurting someone's feelings or disrespecting them because you were "just screwing around" still means you're responsible for it. You might not be malicious, but you're inconsiderate at best. Refusing to treat people like real human beings is still a reflection of your character, regardless of how you choose to justify it.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

There's a difference between truly trying to disrespect someone and unintentionally hurting them. Every person is different. A joke that may offend one person may not phase another. That's the curse of the Internet and anonymity - it's difficult to tell who can roll with the punches and laugh and strike back and who sincerely is upset by what is written.

I don't disrespect people here, really, unless they merit disrespect. On the flip side, I typically don't give respect to those who don't earn it. I respect a lot of people here. Lothar and bet, believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for. Despite the fact that I disagree with you two on probably every subject, I still must respect not only your vast knowledge and your strength to stand up for what you believe in regardless of opposition.

I'll still poke you and tease you, but I'm not trying to make you cry yourself to sleep. I'm not trying to bully anyone. I'm just a pot-stirrer, and in the end I don't mean anybody any harm.

Now let's all hug with shirts off.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Beowulf wrote:I'm just a pot-stirrer, and in the end I don't mean anybody any harm.
Pick one or the other.

(There are those who can balance both -- those who can stir the pot without hurting anyone or disrespecting anyone -- but so far, you're not one of them.)
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

LMAO @ everyone still arguing in this thread.

There is no end to this arguement folks.
The people who \"hold themselves to a higher standard\" will never see anyone elses side.

Those of us who are more relaxed In our attitude will never understand how people can be so uptight about something we find tame.

It will never change.

This welcome back thread is bound for E&C for the sake of arguement.

Start grabbing the sticks people! the dead horse beating is about to begin!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nah, we finished the horse-beating on page 2. :P

You know what's the best thing about this community? As much as we may all ***** in here, at the end of the day, we all still head into the mines and blow the crap out of each other for hours. That's what's really important, isn't it?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Top Gun wrote:Nah, we finished the horse-beating on page 2. :P

You know what's the best thing about this community? As much as we may all ***** in here, at the end of the day, we all still head into the mines and blow the crap out of each other for hours. That's what's really important, isn't it?
Yes. I may be perceived as an angel in church, but in the games I'm dressed in black leather and carry two guns. :wink:

Bee
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

me bites tongue :P
<FONT>--Rook--</FONT>
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Pugwash wrote:me bites tongue :P
Guns... not whips. :wink:

Bee
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I am pixels! :o hear me roar!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Bet51987 wrote:Yes. I may be perceived as an angel in church, but in the games I'm dressed in black leather and carry two guns. :wink:

Bee
Is this some type of new mmorpg I havn't heard about yet? ;) I used to run around in blue leather and hit people with my big walking stick with my friar.

(they are kinda of an offensive paladin- had concentration buffs, and self only timed buffs, no shield, a lot better damage, weak taunts and heals.- oh and they used staves as their primary weapon.)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

so, are you the scorch who i played with on kali or are you a different scorch? if you are, welcome back.

if you arent, hello.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

kurupt wrote:so, are you the scorch who i played with on kali or are you a different scorch? if you are, welcome back.

if you arent, hello.
beats the heck out of me; that was a long time ago! I did play on kali, and I remember you, so it's very possible... Thanks :)
pipsqueak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak »

Two DescentBBs! Wow! Thats all so....so..CONFUSING!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

snoopy wrote:(they are kinda of an offensive paladin- had concentration buffs, and self only timed buffs, no shield, a lot better damage, weak taunts and heals.- oh and they used staves as their primary weapon.)
Ok Snoopy I can't stand it. What are you talking about? I gotta know and I can't figure it out. Whats heals, buffs, paladin, etc etc?

And how can you be dangerous in blue hair. :wink:

Bee
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

pipsqueak wrote:Two DescentBBs! Wow! Thats all so....so..CONFUSING!
Yeah, sorry. Ya have to use BOTH sides of your brain now. sucks huh?
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Bet51987 wrote:And how can you be dangerous in blue hair.
I dunno, so he'll look like some type of... anime character? :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Bet51987 wrote:
snoopy wrote:(they are kinda of an offensive paladin- had concentration buffs, and self only timed buffs, no shield, a lot better damage, weak taunts and heals.- oh and they used staves as their primary weapon.)
Ok Snoopy I can't stand it. What are you talking about? I gotta know and I can't figure it out. Whats heals, buffs, paladin, etc etc?

And how can you be dangerous in blue hair. :wink:

Bee
Online role playing games like World of Warcraft.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

As one of the few \"Benefactors\" I can say I have contributed to this board in more ways than posting. Having said that, I am like a transvestite who posts on both sides of the DBB world. Depends on what topic I feel like discussing. While we may all be \"pixels\", it is certainly easy to identify the maturity of the person slapping the keyboard.

Welcome back Scorch
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

since this post is entirely off topic anyway, i wont feel bad keeping it going.

i post at the .com version because most of the people there are people i've played with, talked with, or met at one point during my time in this game.

alot of people post both places, and i would do that as well, however, i've been playing descent since 1994, and have been semi active in the community pretty much the whole time, but i barely recognize any of you guys that hang out here.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

kurupt wrote:since this post is entirely off topic anyway, i wont feel bad keeping it going.

i post at the .com version because most of the people there are people i've played with, talked with, or met at one point during my time in this game.

alot of people post both places, and i would do that as well, however, i've been playing descent since 1994, and have been semi active in the community pretty much the whole time, but i barely recognize any of you guys that hang out here.
Maybe because were newbies and nice too. Looking forward to playing with you :)

Bee
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Kurupt wrote:i barely recognize any of you guys that hang out here.
But, but! My avatar is the icon on my ship. You should recognize me! Hold it, wait, I know why it doesn't look familiar to you. Just a sec...

Ok, there, just imagine smoke and an explosion and this may look more familiar:
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Is that an avatar of you when you were smaller?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Bet51987 wrote:Maybe because were newbies and nice too. Looking forward to playing with you :)

Bee
Sorry to dissapoint, but I retired from descent years ago. I couldn't play if I wanted to, I sold my last 3d pro awhile back and descent just isn't descent without one. =)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Good, one less bad player to pick on ;)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Top Wop wrote:Is that an avatar of you when you were smaller?
Ha! No. That's my son. And he moves a lot like that in real life. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

do a barrel roll
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Scorch wrote: And what's up with descentbb.com? Why are there two?

you've got to be kidding me..

theres a descentbb.com??

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Yep. KoolBear said \"you don't like how I run it? Start your own board\" and some people took him up on it.