Lost Isle - a Zelda Classic quest I made for you all!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Lost Isle - a Zelda Classic quest I made for you all!

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Two quests for a very specific build of Zelda Classic, one which has been long in the making, and another that took 4 months to make, but is no less a great quest.
But before we get into detail about either, some info about the players you will need:

To be able to play either Lost Isle OR Origin, you're going to need to download a specific Zelda Classic version that was built specifically by the developers for these two quests so they could get released:
GET THE LOST ISLE/ORIGIN ZC BUILD HERE:
========================
http://www.sephiroth.ws/ZC/Lost-Isle-Build.zip
or here
http://edc-info.net/files/zcf/Lost-Isle-Build.zip
or here
http://www.zshare.net/download/2803393d7c3d04/

FOR LINUX USERS, GET YOUR BUILD HERE:
http://www.sephiroth.ws/ZC/Lost-Isle-Build.tar.gz

To load up either quest, download them below and unzip them in the directory you put the above program. Then load up the program, create a new game file and press the left alt button twice to load up the quest browser, should be explanatory after that to find the quest you want and load it. The controls are simple:
Arrow keys = Movement
Left Alt = A button
Left Ctrl = B button
Enter = Subscreen
Esc = Program Menu
Z and X = Hot switch Keys for B Button Items

Now onto the quests:

LOST ISLE

Over 2 years in the making, the first full group collaboration quest has finally been completed. Lost Isle takes you on a journey to a deserted island where the formal inhabitants have suffered a catastrophic event and all that remains is the dead and the decaying. A sinister story unfolds the further you explore the island and evil secrets are revealed as you get closer and closer to the true evil that is conspiring against you. You will travel through ghost towns, graveyards, swamps, forests, volcanos, wastelands and canyons in your search for answers and a way off this haunted island. With one gigantic world to explore, five huge dungeons, an entire island-wide cave system, many misc. dungeons and catacombs to explore, optional triforce pieces, 36 pieces of heart, myriad of shields and potions, hidden secrets and lurking ghosts; this adventure will test your very limits as an explorer. Only the true intrepid players will see the quest through and claim the much -deserved ending. This is Lost Isle, you have been warned adventurer!

Story:
You (as Link) have crash-landed on a seemingly deserted island out in the middle of the ocean. With no real reference point to indicate where exactly you are in the world, you have no choice but to explore the island and find some way of getting off of it and back to the mainland. But it appears that there was once a civilization here that was thriving, but all that has turned to dust and dead bodies. Undead and foul creatures fill the villages and take shelter in the woods and creep through the dark corners of the island. What could have caused this great catastrophe and is this great evil still alive and well as you explore the very land that it destroyed? Welcome to Lost Isle…

Features:
Huge 24x16 overworld/island that have a variety of terrain types and massive amounts of exploration. This quest will give you subtle hints of where to ultimately go, but it will NOT hold your hand. You still have to figure most things out on your own. 5 Major dungeons with a huge cave system underneath the island and a myriad of optional dungeons and a few sidequests to complete. Custom bosses and scripted events and an ending sequence to die for. Based on local tallies from gamers of the quest thus far, this ranges around 20 hours of game time roughly.

Screenshots:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=204
Due to the fact that there can't be 'link leeching' I had to direct you to the site, but the download link should be obvious enough on there.

Now onto the second quest:

ORIGIN

Hype Description:
This is a complete re-envisioning of Hyrule the way it was meant to be. Old places look new and unfamiliar, dungeons you have scoured many times in the past no longer bear the same treasures or the same design. Secrets that were once common knowledge have been lost and are hidden in new locations. The entire world has changed and you have to change with it if you want to survive. This is Legend of Zelda: Origin.

Developer Description:
Despite people commonly dismissing many remakes or revamps or in this case, re-envisioning of the original Zelda quests, this goes far beyond what you have ever seen for the 1st and 2nd quests. First off straight from the get-go you have a choice to either start the 1st or the 2nd quest in the same quest file. There is also an option for a 3rd xtreme quest after beating the second or straight from the get-go for those insane Gung-ho players. To top it off, you have selection of choice for which dungeons you want to play over the course of Xtreme 3rd. Three Quests in one, can you handle it?
Massive changes with everything built from scratch. Heart containers on the overworld are now divided into 15 HC Pieces, the remaining 5 scattered across mini-games which you must win to acquire them. New secret locations, new cave systems, new dungeon layouts that do not conform to the original in anything but shape, every single item in ZC is utilized and can be acquired, a new Dome of Trials has opened up in the world, the ability to save Zelda in a variety of ways and finally a special bonus challenge for those who manage to complete Xtreme 3rd. This is everything you've been wanting to see for the originals, but never saw previously in any quest thus far. This is Origin.

Screenshots:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=203
Due to the fact that there can't be 'link leeching' I had to direct you to the site, but the download link should be obvious enough on there.

I hope everyone enjoys the time and effort spent into each and if you have any questions about anything for either quest, feel free to ask. There are no such thing as stupid questions.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Looks very well done from the screenshots. Nice job man.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Thank you Jmeat. Not a lot of Zelda fans around here I take it. :(
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

I am a huge Zelda Fan but I never used these quest packs so I am a bit clueless what I need to play then... and if this program also available for Linux which is my OS currently.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Give me your email Zico and I'll be glad to send you a Linux copy of Zelda Classic, the correct version to play this quest. Then all you need to do is download either or both quests from the links above in the first post and follow instructions in the Lost Isle PDF readme on how to run both. (instructions for one will work for the other)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

wow,, VERY cool. Loved Zelda back in the day. ... wasted days playing that game....ask the wife. :roll:

I'll give this a run. I grabbed Zelda classic last year. Had forgotten how hard that was....
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Remember, both these quests REQUIRE the Zelda Classic build I gave links to above in my first post. If you just download the actual program from the site, it won't run these two quests. So just follow the links I provided to save headache later. ^_^ And I do hope you enjoy it.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Looks prity cool I'm ganna download and try it out tonight if and when I get free time... I loved all the zelda excpt 2 and the 64 ones and wind waker to..
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

There you go, for Linux users, here is the program version to play Lost Isle and Origin:
http://www.sephiroth.ws/ZC/Lost-Isle-Build.tar.gz
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I keep getting killed. :x :x :x

At least my mouse gets a rest from pounding it on my desk when playing D3. :) Its the second one this year and its already wrapped with electrical tape.

Zelda is not my kind of game but you did and awesome job. I'll keep trying. :wink:

Bettina
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

if you're having trouble with anything from puzzles, to exploration to even enemy strategy tips, I'd be happy to help. Don't ask just because you think the question is stupid. :D
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Wow DFW!

Looks really good. Nice work there. ;)

I loved the Zelda games from the old days.
I look forward to playing this quest you did. :)

Question.

How does one go about playing ZC in a window instead of full screen?

Is there a switch or something to add in the ini file?

Thanks. :)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

To load up either quest, download them below and unzip them in the directory you put the above program. Then load up the program, create a new game file and press the left alt button twice to load up the quest browser, should be explanatory after that to find the quest you want and load it.
I can't seem to get this part to work. :|
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Aus Red: add the commands on the command line: -windowed -res xxxx xxxx
That should solve the problems.

JMeat:
To start a new game with Lost Isle or Origin (with A being the left Alt and B being the left Ctrl):
1) Select a file with ENTER and type your name, then press ENTER
again.
2) To choose a quest to play, in this case Lost_Isle.qst or Origin.qst, press A while you're selecting the current quest file.
(unless you already chose your own set of keys for ZC, A will be the
left \"Alt\" key).
3) Press A again. Then click \"Browse\". Find the quest file
(Lost_Isle.qst/Origin.qst) and click OK 2 times.
4) After all that, press ENTER to start playing.
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

I'm a zelda fan... of course I always used walkthroughs, but hey, I liked it.

Nice job!
*looks for walkthrough for Lost Isle*
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Likewise, I too am a zelda fan!
But I'm not on my home computer right now, so I'll download later.

Also, I'm getting Twilight Princess in about a week. Go me!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

since it is such a relatively new quest Octane, I doubt a walkthrough has been made yet, so the burden must fall on a active player who is willing to make one for it. :wink:
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Nice, thanks DFW. I got the sword!!!

Payback time crabs.
Crosby87
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Crosby87 »

Looks too good to be true! O_O
I'm gonna give this Lost Isle a try right now!
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Nice, I'm gonna try this out. Love the Zelda Classics. And add ons are always welcomed.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Aus Red: add the commands on the command line: -windowed -res xxxx xxxx
That should solve the problems.
Got it to work in windowed, but the res switch didn't work. :?

Is there a link for all the CMD lines possible to be used with CZ?

Thanks for your help DFW. ;)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

-res 512 448 big -windowed

should work, but I'm going to ask the community if this doesn't work for you.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Deleted.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Deleted.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Thanks DFW.

The switch made it bigger, but it doesn't fill the hole window.

I'm trying to use -res 1024 768 big, but I end up with this.

Getting closer. :D
Crosby87
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Crosby87 »

hehe that's wierd AUS RED. :p

I am using res 512 448 and it looks nice enough for me. I am in the sky temple right now and good god does it look amazing!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm might have to try to find the time to play through this... never actually finished the original ZC quest though...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I'd be honored if Sirius if both you and Darkhorse did.