5000$ loan no interest TO: software

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

5000$ loan no interest TO: software

Post by Isaac »

So I've decided to enter the fun, stressful, liver poisoning, life style of being a freelancer.

I plan to buy:
3dsmaxr8 or 9
mudbox
Adobe creative suite cs3: production premium
web hosting (upgrade)

I might need a bigger loan and plus there's probably more that I'll need.

August will be the month I do this and i'll be a graphic artist once again!
Blue
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blue »

freelancing sucks man. No one ever wants to pay you what you're worth. Sometimes when a project is finished i realise i was getting below min wage because of all the revisions. :(
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Get a non-refundable deposit to start work.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Canuck wrote:Get a non-refundable deposit to start work.
elaborate please. Any good ideas could help me grow faster.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

I know a friend of a friend that's going to work for Epic as a graphic artist, and my biggest suggestion to you is this: Spend a bunch of time building your skills, create a portfolio of your best work, and use it to make a website. Then, once you think that's looking good enough to impress others in the industry, use the website as a portfolio.

You're also going to be expected to produce at a somewhat rapid pace, so if your best work took you 6 months to polish and perfect, you're taking way too long. Get good enough that you can produce an above-average piece of work in 2 weeks time or less.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Sllik wrote:I know a friend of a friend that's going to work for Epic as a graphic artist, and my biggest suggestion to you is this: Spend a bunch of time building your skills, create a portfolio of your best work, and use it to make a website. Then, once you think that's looking good enough to impress others in the industry, use the website as a portfolio.

You're also going to be expected to produce at a somewhat rapid pace, so if your best work took you 6 months to polish and perfect, you're taking way too long. Get good enough that you can produce an above-average piece of work in 2 weeks time or less.
I guess i do need to get good at mudbox. Have you done anything in the art industry?
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

On the subject on online portfolio...

Post by Deathwinger »

I just recently started an online portfolio. I don't have much work to my name but I'm always scoping out tutorials to learn more about each field I am doing (Graphic Art, Web Design, Video Production).

I'm looking for constructive criticism for the website. If anyone has any suggestions, please contact me

http://www.khanscrusade.com