Titan Quest gets the Axe

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Titan Quest gets the Axe

Post by Duper »

I didn't know about this game, but I found this post by the Mitchael Fitch of THQ rather interesting.

It's a bit of a read and I think he has some valid reasons for being upset. The gaming world does not share his opinion. hehe.. That's not surprising.

I'll let ya'll read it. Most in particular, I'm interested in hearing from those here in the gaming industry.

Cheers!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

its like saying shoplifting actually leads to higher prices, and thinking that would stop shoplifters.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

While I know well enough that the main difference between console sales and PC sales is due to audience size, I do wonder if he has a point about piracy making a big dent in sales on the PC platform. You can pirate console games as well, but how to do it is not such common knowledge I suspect.

Nonetheless, between that and hardware issues; I think he should go develop games for consoles. That would solve most of his problems.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If I look at the fact that about 2/1000 of all D2X-XL users have bothered to donate something to the project, to give something back for what they have freely received, and let it be just 5 bucks, I think he has a point. Human nature never was in a good state.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have bought both games twice as my wife and I play it together. It's an awesome game. When it did come out it was buggy. We had the \"rubber band\" effect which most users had. Didn't make a difference what system you had either.

Most people who pirate won't buy the game. So the companies don't lose any money over it. But like that post mentioned, if the people who pirate the game put up negative reviews because there game crashes, then I'm sure that would hurt sales.

I think if you pirate a game, STFU about ANY issues you have. It's just like you shouldn't complain about politicians doing a bad job if you don't vote.
MetalBeast
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MetalBeast »

fliptw wrote:its like saying shoplifting actually leads to higher prices, and thinking that would stop shoplifters.
Exactly, the same thing is about this damn copy-protection. Many games made for Win xp, for example, do not even install on Windows vista, cause the copy-protection is not working proper.

Or try to install "stronghold II" on pc-system with CD/DVD-burner only, it is not possible. And the most annoying thing is, you will not become any message, the installer simply doesn't work.

ID software never used any of thouse hardcore copy-protection things, they simply made good games. For people, which want to play ID's games online, they just need own KEY to register. So if you want to play with other people over internet you must buy your own version of the game.

Many of new copy-protection systems are installing hidden drivers, which can make your OS unstable, cause crashes, make using of burning-software imposible etc.

I think this is one case, why many gamers are pissed and using cracks or hacked-versions of the games.

For example, I'm fan of the "Gothic II" rpg-action game. Try to install this game on Windows vista, it doesn't work, because of this f----ing copy-protection. I mean, I paid for this game and I can't play it on my new notebook.
And it is only one example, there are many more...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Some companies are going away from using Starforce and the like because to many people have complained that is crashes their systems. Just wish most companies would do the same.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think on the PC, piracy really is a problem. Perhaps not to the numbers he claims, but it is considerable to the point where the smart money is on Steam. Steam's terms of use, allowing you to install a game on as many computers as you want, couldn't be more liberal.

MMOs like World of Warcraft also have copy protection by their very nature.

A PC developer that intends to go it alone without such a thing is committing suicide. The PC gaming market is <i>not</i> growing and so if you intend to make a product for it, every sale counts. If you have pirates consuming ever 10% of those sales, that's a big deal.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You question the numbers? Read this article.

Now tell me all those pirates only steal software because its evil copy protection schemes doesn't allow it to work properly on their flawlessy setup machines. Tell me that many PC gamers are not an ungrateful, lawless pack of thieves.

I'll just point my finger and laugh at you if you do.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If someone pirates a game and never buys it doesn't mean the company loses money. Most people who pirate would not buy the game to start with so they aren't losing money.

We can't prove who would or would not buy the game. And I doubt every single person who pirates a game would buy it.

I for one can say I do some of it but buy 99% of my games. The ones I don't buy after d/ling is because it sucks so bad I wouldn't buy in the first place. Hence they don't lose any money from me.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

CDN_Merlin wrote:If someone pirates a game and never buys it doesn't mean the company loses money. Most people who pirate would not buy the game to start with so they aren't losing money.
For one that's a stupid argument, sorry, and then I doubt it's even true. Many people steal it because they get away with it and want to save the money, and would purchase otherwise - because they want to have it.

Finally your argument in one way justifies piracy. If I don't want to pay for something, I don't take it, what's so hard about that?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I pirated Doom 3 for a while, but because I played its single player often enough I eventually bought a copy (and RoE) once they came down to a reasonable price. Any game that I like I will usually buy just for the convenience of not having to deal with buggy cracks.

But any game that introduces buggy copy protection I will generally just avoid entirely, even the cracked versions.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:If someone pirates a game and never buys it doesn't mean the company loses money. Most people who pirate would not buy the game to start with so they aren't losing money.
For one that's a stupid argument, sorry, and then I doubt it's even true. Many people steal it because they get away with it and want to save the money, and would purchase otherwise - because they want to have it.

Finally your argument in one way justifies piracy. If I don't want to pay for something, I don't take it, what's so hard about that?
You doubt it's even true? I've talked to many people about piracy in kali and other forums and the majority of them will never buy the game they pirate. Hence the companies are not losing money.

Just because you have different moral values than most pirates doesn't mean everyone is the same.

I for one will buy games. I paid $200 for 2 copies of Neverwinter Nights 2 Collector's Edition because my wife and I play the game. I could of just pirated the game but I didn't. Ya know what also? We haven't even touched the game yet since it came out. So I would of been better off pirating the game. So technically, the company made money on me and I don't even play it. Reverse piracy???
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The point is not whether the company would lose money or not, don't you get that? The point is that these people are using stuff they haven't paid for! They are just thieves, period.

And apart from that I don't believe them. To me they are just dang liars trying to justify what cannot be justified.

The consequence is more and more people using this bloody damn lie to steal software and ruin the people who have put years of work and millions of dollars into producing it in the rightful hope to make good money from their product! And then these bastards come along and suck their life blood out of them, saying \"Bwahaha, we wouldn't have bought it anyway!\"

Bull$hit, I say! That argument somehow creates the impression software piracy would be legitimate \"if you wouldn't buy anyway\", and that's a completely wrong and invalid approach to the entire issue. If you don't pay, you have no right to use it.

That's the entire point.

If you buy something and just don't use it, that's your problem. You are free to use it, nobody hinders you. I have bought a few games I haven't played so far either. Know what I think? \"Me idiot, why did I buy that stuff when I already knew I wouldn't have time for it?\"
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

OK I see the point. Makes sense. I guess if the games had no way of being pirated the company would make more money.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Stealing is Stealing…justify it with all the gobbledygook you want.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

The bottom line - if you can't afford it or will not pay for it, you have no right to own it. That's the way the world works. If it costs too much, wait like the rest of us have to for the price to come down.