Post pics of your Descent collections :D

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post pics of your Descent collections :D

Post by Gold Leader »

info removed
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I have D1 Anniversary, D2 TIA, D3 and that's it.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Wow, that's quite a bit of a collection you have, Obi Wan Kenobi. I bow before you! *bows*

The first Descent game was probably borrowed from a neighbor when we first started playing. At that time, there were several neighbors playing Descent on-line. I think my brother, DragonX, had another version of the D3 game, but I do not remember the name. Here is what DK and I currently have:

These are what I brought into our marriage.
The Original Descent II and III discs

These are what DKnight brought into our marriage.
Descent I and II discs
The Original Descent 3
Descent 3 Mercenary

Not too bad methinks. :)
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

The European D3 box looks so corny. :D
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

@ Kiran :)

Thanx for your elusive bows :) Your collection is getting it's shape I'd say keep an eye out on ebay many nice things come by on ebay hehe :)
Firewheel wrote:The European D3 box looks so corny. :D
Corny? mit mais oder? what is that in english? the EU versions of D3 look cool imho 3 Pyro-GL's hehe I like them very much, the US ones aren't too bad either.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

polaris on that poster, probably my all-time fav level in d3 :)

and i like that text on it:

\"so what if you kill your friends, with $50.000 you can buy some new ones.\"

sounds like some decent humor.

hehehe
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

Nice collection Obi ...some might call you \"obsessed\" ;)

d0ggY / griffin
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

d0ggY wrote:Nice collection Obi ...some might call you "obsessed" ;)

d0ggY / griffin
Well heh thanx for your kind reply :) and yeah I am very obsessed with Descent games since the first Descent Demo saw first daylight back on December 17 1994 :)

My Descent Obsession led to an addiction so why not make it a hobby for collecting them :) it's something that I like doing as I have stopped collecting 3dfx cards, collecting Descent items , games books as such is my next big thing Image
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm glad you found all three Descent books. They are scarce. :D
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

tunnelcat wrote:I'm glad you found all three Descent books. They are scarce. :D
Yeah they sure are and they are real must haves for the die-hard Descent collector as well, and that i have book 3#3 I rather wait until I get Books 1#3 and 2#3 , since they all interconnect on a story basis right?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You know, I can't remember if the books are sequential and I don't quite remember if they are based on D2 or D3. D3 maybe? It's been a long time since I've read them, years! I would read them in order to be sure. What price did you have to pay for them? :?
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

tunnelcat wrote:You know, I can't remember if the books are sequential and I don't quite remember if they are based on D2 or D3. D3 maybe? It's been a long time since I've read them, years! I would read them in order to be sure. What price did you have to pay for them? :?
well both for 20 USD incl shipping for both books , heh since it's the Euro here 20 USD isn't much at all :)
snce 1.00 EUR = 1.59106 USD heh kinda wacko really :)
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I've got a Descent wallet that I won for winning one of the round of 64 matches on HEAT. PM me Obi and I'll send it to you if you want (assuming shipping isn't outrageous or anything). It's just sitting around collecting dust right now so someaone may as well enjoy it. You can't have my Descent hat or shirt though. :P I also have a Descent.net shirt I got from Bama at some LAN or other.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

CritterB wrote:I've got a Descent wallet that I won for winning one of the round of 64 matches on HEAT. PM me Obi and I'll send it to you if you want (assuming shipping isn't outrageous or anything). It's just sitting around collecting dust right now so someaone may as well enjoy it. You can't have my Descent hat or shirt though. :P I also have a Descent.net shirt I got from Bama at some LAN or other.
you got a PM Wingman CritterB! 8)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Wow, Obi! :o :D

That's an awesome collection! It puts mine to shame.

The main \"collector's items\" I have are the original Descent and Descent:Maximum for PlayStation:
ImageImage
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

WOW!!

( off topic ) thats a nice A380 you got there aswell
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You paid a good price for your books Obi. 8)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

tunnelcat wrote:You know, I can't remember if the books are sequential and I don't quite remember if they are based on D2 or D3. D3 maybe?
Very roughly, each sequential book follows the sequential game.

I don't have much of a collection, but I do have a prettyful Descent poster hanging in my room. It's "The #1 Game In The World!" according to "Internet Users." XD It's a picture of a C1 Drone and a Medium Lifter against a static background with a trio of screenshots on it. I can't find much on the Internets about it, so I have no idea if it's rare or not.

It hangs next to an equally prettyful FreeSpace poster of a GTD Orion emerging from subspace. "This time you're not going down, you're going out."
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Somewhere I have a story written by Motorman. It's called First Strike. I don't think he's ever finished it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Probably not, knowing Motor. :]
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Thnx for your cool replies Pyro Jockeys!

Great to hear from other Descent Die-Hards around these days, Maybe I will make a list of all the Descent Collectors as who has what and the country they are from as showing a flag of the preferred country Like I did with these Voodoo5 6000 world lists:
http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/view ... 67&start=0

there are another 4 I made which hot links with each other world list, it's basic HTML , the color coding is different from all 5 sites,It took about 6 weeks of finding out who has what revision as how many of either revision, I was thinking a list like this for us Descent collectors?

Just let me know what you think of this idea, as it would give us a nice layout of who has what and I'd like to share as mix idea's for this idea 8)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

tunnelcat wrote:You know, I can't remember if the books are sequential and I don't quite remember if they are based on D2 or D3. D3 maybe? :?
The books (at least the third one, which is the only one I've read) seemed to have been based on D2, as all the weapons and bots used for most of the book were from D2 or D2 Vertigo. There were exceptions, such as the Pyro GX II (which I believe is the equivalent of the Black Pyro from the Mercenary Expansion) having the napalm cannon added to it's weaponry, and having medium hulks guarding the Proving Grounds. There was also a "hybrid diamond claw" whose description fit the Thresher, but apart from that, everything was D2.

EDIT: The medium hulk might have counted as a D2 robot, since all the D1 robots can be used in D2, and the medium hulk was used quite a bit in the early levels of D2 Vertigo.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

tunnelcat wrote:You know, I can't remember if the books are sequential and I don't quite remember if they are based on D2 or D3. D3 maybe? It's been a long time since I've read them, years! I would read them in order to be sure. What price did you have to pay for them? :?
They are all sequential, in fact first book is in Descent 1, second is in Descent II, and third is in Descent 3.

I am currently trying to find all my Descent stuff, I am missing a set of D3 discs, my D2 disc, and two books. Then I will post it :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

You are missing Destination Saturn and Sol Ascent. :P
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

Jeff250 wrote:You are missing Destination Saturn and Sol Ascent. :P
Hmm I don't have Sole Ascent which is the demo version of Descent3. It was delivered with the 3dfx Voodoo3 3500 TV AGP NTSC [USA model, EU model has a PAL TV-FM tuner]version on a light blue CD .

Destination Saturn seems to be an OEM version of Descent 1 with 15 levels and 1 Secret level instead of 27 Levels and 3 secret Levels aha.
http://www.descent2.com/support/saturn/index.html
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

They wouldn't be the easiest things to track down these days.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

Sirius wrote:They wouldn't be the easiest things to track down these days.
maybe on ebay or some other type of auction?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I have a Destination Saturn (OEM) CD. If it's really a big deal to anyone, I'm willing to part with it.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

Lothar wrote:I have a Destination Saturn (OEM) CD. If it's really a big deal to anyone, I'm willing to part with it.
hmm that would be very nice I accept your release Image
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Obi Wan:
You're obsessed.
I'm impressed.
So now, I guess,
I'll post mine, yes?

I know I have the D1 manual somewhere too. The D3 and Freespace boxes are actually double-title inner-flipping cases. Here's their other sides:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I find it really impressive that the Definitive Collection is 3 CDs. Hard to believe there is actually 3 CDs worth of content to be had... XD
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Sedwick, nice to see someone with the original Descent on 3 1/2\" floppies! (There have been people who didn't believe me when I told them I got the original demo on a floppy.) :D
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

I still have my original D1 floppies, too, in a big brown box, along with a disk of expansion levels my best friend downloaded from the internet (we weren't connected).

Disk 3 is corrupt, and has been for like 10 years now. I have no idea how many of the others have become corrupt since, well, I no longer own a floppy drive. :D
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Gold Leader »

Sedwick wrote:Obi Wan:
You're obsessed.
I'm impressed.
So now, I guess,
I'll post mine, yes?

I know I have the D1 manual somewhere too. The D3 and Freespace boxes are actually double-title inner-flipping cases. Here's their other sides:
hey that's nice to see Descent 1 on five 2.88MB 3.5 inch floppies indeed :) About FreeSpace I have Conflict FreeSpace The great War and FreeSpace2 boxed as well, since they didn't have the Descent tag I didn't add them to the main Descent collection pic, heh.

very nice set you got there, cheers man welcome to the party of Descent collecting Image
I dunno if FreeSpace plays in the same universe as Descent, I thought it didn't but not sure though, any idea's?
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

The U.S. copy of FreeSpace is titled Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War.

EDIT #2: Comment removed. Never mind. DOH!

I guess, I'll have to take some pics of my collection as well. :P

EDIT #1:
Added pics.

Now, if only DXX Rebirth and D2X-XL came in a box..... :lol:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:I dunno if FreeSpace plays in the same universe as Descent, I thought it didn't but not sure though, any idea's?
Correct, the official word is they're unrelated. The "Descent" moniker was just a way to resolve a trademark issue (a dubious one at that considering the confusion it caused).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If the spaceships in Freespace used the same 3D control scheme as in Descent, it would've been much more fun and challenging. Spaceships with aircraft-type controls are lame and not very interesting. When I bought Freespace, I wrongly assumed that it was going to use the same controls based on the title, NOT! :P
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:You are missing Destination Saturn and Sol Ascent. :P
Hmm I don't have Sole Ascent which is the demo version of Descent3. It was delivered with the 3dfx Voodoo3 3500 TV AGP NTSC [USA model, EU model has a PAL TV-FM tuner]version on a light blue CD .
Sirius wrote:They wouldn't be the easiest things to track down these days.
Here's one. Sol Ascent, and it's in the same area I live in too. :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

No pics since all my boxes as broken down to fit in a plastic box.

Descent 2 Infinite Abyss
Descent Definitive Collection
Descent 3
Descent 3 mercenary
Descent Freespace The Great War
Freespace 2

I had the original D1 and D2 but they we stolen in 97 when my apt was broken into. :-(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

tunnelcat wrote:If the spaceships in Freespace used the same 3D control scheme as in Descent, it would've been much more fun
Matter of opinion, but perhaps
tunnelcat wrote:and challenging.
No.

Descent's control scheme would actually make dodging *too* easy, to the point that fighting capital ships would be easier than fighting little craft - because they couldn't hit you, and are too big to dodge.

Clearly, Volition's concept for the game didn't have room for such cheese, so they dropped it.

What they ended up with was perhaps just another space sim, but it was quite a good rendition; the sequel, FS2, is still possibly the best space-sim ever made.