purchasing a console

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

purchasing a console

Post by ReadyMan »

I dont know anything about consoles, but I'm thinking of getting one to play madden 09 with friends. Is any one particular console obviously better than another? PS3 or Xbox 360 seem to be the most prolific.
Thanks for any suggestions.

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No Madden '09 for PC?
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

I was a huge ps1 and ps2 fan, so I bought a ps3 thinking it would be just as great. So far, I'm not too impressed. Socom: Confrontation (came out a few weeks ago) was all hyped up about and only turned out to be mediocre. I still support sony but unlike its previous consoles, this one is lacking good games. Metal Gear Solid 4 was pretty sweet, and that's about it IMO.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

PS3 is only useful for the blu-ray player. If you want to actually play games, there is no choice - get the 360.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I've played on both and neither seem better than the other, I generally prefer games that are psx only though (Gran turismo, FF) stuff like that.

And i'm thinking of buying a ps3 just for the MGS4 :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Got a PS3 for the BD player & F@H. Got Bioshock for it, plays & looks great. Works for me.
ImageImage
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Technically, the PS3 and 360 are actually the least prolific. On the other hand, if you want something with some processing power, they're the way to go.

And at that, generally the 360 is outselling the PS3 two-to-one. That may be partly due to price, but I do get the impression it also has more games that are worth playing, although I don't have one myself. The PS3 I understand is technically more powerful, but that power hasn't really been used that well so far. 360 doesn't fall far short and has more developers...
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Get a PS2. Getting a next-gen console for one game is just ridiculous, especially since said game is out on a far cheaper console.
But I'm suggesting a PS2 for if you want to get other games at some point. If you really truly just want Madden '09, you're better off with an Xbox1; cheaper(normally) and better graphics.
Foil wrote:No Madden '09 for PC?
Nope.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That is a good point.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Sirius wrote:And at that, generally the 360 is outselling the PS3 two-to-one.
Weekly sales are usually about equal, although the PS3 has been edging out the 360 this year most weeks. The 360's lead in total sales is due to being released earlier.

Pretty charts:
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php

I have a PS3, so I am biased, but something that hasn't been pointed out yet this thread: Playing online with the PS3 is free, whereas it costs a monthly fee with the 360. So, if you want to play online, calculate the monthly fee * how many months you intend to play with the console online in your lifetime and then add that to the 360's price. (Or yearly fee * years you intend to play, or etc., but you get the point.)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Also, if you think you may be interested in other games, this may be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P ... only_games

The 360 has 161 exclusives listed, whereas the PS3 has 101 listed. Most popular games tend to not be exclusives though for any console (like Madden).
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

I think they both = out the same. I think the 360 controler does better for FPS and the ps3 I think does better for RPGs
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks for all the input!
Fighting villains is what I do!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

wow talk about dbl-triple-and quadruple posts!!

anyways, im very pissed off that Namco/Bandai Games went XBox360 for the once PS Exclusive AceCombat Series!!
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

XBox 360 any day of the week. I bought it for:

Halo 3: Multiplayer
Mass Effect
COD4
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Lost Planet
Bioshock
Battlefield: Bad Company

The thing I like about it, is that a lot of these games are really good and come out for the PC but have the DRM up the wazoo. However, they are fantastic on an XBox with out the DRM issues. Fallout 3 you would get away with though, without too much of a DRM issue, it has Securom but from what I understand, it is a disk check only and the lightest from of DRM they could possibly implement. Mainly Bioshock and Mass Effect.

Halo 3 and GOW2 are pretty much XBox games right now.

And we have Halo 3: Recon coming out next year.

As for multi, the $50 for a years worth isn't that bad of a charge for what you are getting. I hear that the PS3 multi isn't as good or as well maintained as the 360. I know especially when it comes to Halo 3, they really take care of fixing issues and they have an ultra ban for anyone who repeatedly hacks or just disrupts gameplay for others in general.

Only games I would get for the PS3 would be Warhawk and MGS4 and I don't play MGS over and over enough to make it worth it as good as it is.

I also like the feel of the wireless controllers and the sound quality for your headsets are really good as well. There is quite a bit less cheating/hacking that goes on. The only thing you really have to worry about would be a lag switch.