911 - Worked very very fast.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

911 - Worked very very fast.

Post by SirWinner »

I was soundly asleep this morning.

Just before 9:00 am I heard what sounded like someone attempting to break into my home.

The sound of CRASH of glass all over the home. It almost sounded like they were breaking glass every step they were taking.

I awoke quickly and locked my bedroom door then grabbed my cell phone went and hid in my closet in the dark while calling 911... The thief breaks down the door to my bedroom and then comes into my dark closet steals a coat and doesn't see me.

The police arrived within 5 minutes. They announced themselves with guns drawn and asked the homeowner to come out. They then went room to room to insure that there was nobody else in the home.

I was a bit shaken (not stirred)... but am fine. My boss came to my home and helped me quickly repair the front door.

The thief stole 2 Web Cams but not any of the easily takeable items like the 2 computers on my work desk that were extremely close to the front door.

I am thankful to be alive and kicking.

It had to be angels that were protecting me this early Sunday Morning.

8)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: 911 - Worked very very fast.

Post by Cuda68 »

SirWinner wrote:I was soundly asleep this morning.

Just before 9:00 am I heard what sounded like someone attempting to break into my home.

The sound of CRASH of glass all over the home. It almost sounded like they were breaking glass every step they were taking.

I awoke quickly and locked my bedroom door then grabbed my cell phone went and hid in my closet in the dark while calling 911... The thief breaks down the door to my bedroom and then comes into my dark closet steals a coat and doesn't see me.

The police arrived within 5 minutes. They announced themselves with guns drawn and asked the homeowner to come out. They then went room to room to insure that there was nobody else in the home.

I was a bit shaken (not stirred)... but am fine. My boss came to my home and helped me quickly repair the front door.

The thief stole 2 Web Cams but not any of the easily takeable items like the 2 computers on my work desk that were extremely close to the front door.

I am thankful to be alive and kicking.

It had to be angels that were protecting me this early Sunday Morning.

8)
Where the heck was your gun???
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

My \"gun\" is held by the police officers that came to my home.

I don't like guns... never had one... never will.

My only \"guns\" are in computer games.

:P
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Damn man, glad your alright. I don't know what I would of felt, probably scared. Don't know if I'd hide, get out of the house (break the window), or get a gun... But your very lucky you lived, you never know what can happen if they're armed - they could of just shot you for no reason...
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

WOW! Glad you are safe and sound.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Glad to be alright.

I had just a few seconds to:

(1) make a decision.
(2) not make a decision. (Which is a decision in itself.)

I was very tired and had to make the split second decision.

Based on the end results, the right decision was made.

---

The thief used a very large rock to throw through the glass window on the front door. It was a not a see through window.

:oops:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

S**T! If I had that much forewarning that some creep was breaking into my home, he'd be shot if he got inside, no questions asked! My home is my castle and if anybody has that much motivation to break into a stranger's home, they just might have more nefarious deeds in mind other than thievery. But I'm glad you're all right.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Glad to see you're OK!
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: 911 - Worked very very fast.

Post by dissent »

SirWinner wrote:I am thankful to be alive and kicking.
Amen to that!! Good to hear you're ok. Take care of yourself man!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Sorry that happened to you! Glad you are ok.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Glad you are ok. Nothing is worth your life. I was robbed back in 1997 1 week ebfore my bday. Thankfully I wasn't home at the time but had had a shitty day at work.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Wow...

Glad you're okay.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Sorry to hear that.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Why did your angels let the guy break in?

You need to get yourself a pit bull. Best dogs in the world, great with kids, and will scare the daylights out of would-be robbers.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Good you survived the incident. I'm with tunnelcat tho.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

SirWinner wrote:My "gun" is held by the police officers that came to my home.

I don't like guns... never had one... never will.

My only "guns" are in computer games.

:P
I feel exactly the same way and I'm glad you're ok. We have an alarm system that sounds an audible alarm, alerts the security firm, and turns on the lower floor and yard lights. My bedroom is upstairs and my cell is right on my night stand too.

You did the right thing not to confront him.

Bee
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Gasp! :shock:
That was terrible, indeed. I'm sorry for that, really.

I'm very glad that you're OK. :)

About the gun issue, i'm neutral.

I'm a bit with you and Tunnelcat at the same time;
As i understand that you don't want to take a gun on your hands, but also agree with Tunnelcat 'cause your home is a sacred place and must be protected at all cost.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Sir, that's great you are alive and uninjured. Great job on making a decison.

This is one of the reasons my husband wanted a German Shepherd. I can't hear when I'm sleeping so a bulgary can occur and I'd be sound asleep. Whereas on the other hand with the German Shepherd bareing teeth at him... :P

I'd have to admit, I can never carry a gun permit since I know I will think twice before using a gun. Can I really live with myself if the guy I was trying to protect my home from dies? It'd be pretty useless to me.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Pumo »

Kiran wrote:Can I really live with myself if the guy I was trying to protect my home from dies? It'd be pretty useless to me.
Agree with that one also. That's one of the reasons because i'm neutral about this.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I'd be surprised if the burglar wasn't armed himself. In the US it's suicide not to be.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

Kiran wrote:Sir, that's great you are alive and uninjured. Great job on making a decison.

This is one of the reasons my husband wanted a German Shepherd. I can't hear when I'm sleeping so a bulgary can occur and I'd be sound asleep. Whereas on the other hand with the German Shepherd bareing teeth at him... :P

I'd have to admit, I can never carry a gun permit since I know I will think twice before using a gun. Can I really live with myself if the guy I was trying to protect my home from dies? It'd be pretty useless to me.
I feel the same way, however if the fella trips and falls down the stairs before the Police get there, well things happen.

Hows the pup Kiran? A dog can hear and sense much more than we can and German Shepherds are bred to be protective of family.

So are Labs, and my Mom and Dad's Black Lab/Newfoundlander mix Henry weighed 175 LBS. when I was visiting the parents years ago.

I was working on my 442 and came in late one night heading down the darkened hallway and woke him up from his sleeping spot in front of the parent's door.

The growl I got convinced me to about face and sleep downstairs. I had seen him as a pup when my Sister gave him to the parents at Xmas, and he was 2 or 3 years old when I visited next so he really didn't know me well. Thing was an eating/pooping machine.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Kiran wrote:I'd have to admit, I can never carry a gun permit since I know I will think twice before using a gun. Can I really live with myself if the guy I was trying to protect my home from dies? It'd be pretty useless to me.
same here. I once was robbed at knife point, and for a moment the situation arose where the guy got distracted and I had had the opportunity to strike his windpipe (I have six years of martial arts training). Didn't do it though, because I have obviously never tried it out on somebody realistically and wouldn't know the effects, and also because the whole thing seemed to go over quite harmlessly anyways.

In retrospect, several years later, I am still pissed off because of the humiliation of it, and me being put in this helpless position. On the other hand, i am glad that I did not trade a potential life for a bit of money and a portable phone.

anyways, glad you are safe Sir Winner!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Testiculese »

DarkHorse wrote:I'd be surprised if the burglar wasn't armed himself. In the US it's suicide not to be.
Burglary: 5 years
Armed Burglary: 15 years

(Not actual numbers, but the difference is)

Pandora, a frontal strike to the windpipe with sufficient force would collapse it, resulting in strangulation. An angular impact can be used to make it swell but without collapse.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I'd have been waiting in the closet with a baseball bat, and would have beat the crap out of him when he opened the door. Shooting him in the kneecaps is also a viable option. No, I wouldn't kill someone who broke into my house... they would suffer!
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Kiran wrote: Can I really live with myself if the guy I was trying to protect my home from dies? It'd be pretty useless to me.
Could you live with yourself if the intruder raped/killed a child of yours while he forced you to watch...knowing you could have got the training and a firearm to protect your family?
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Thanks for putting it that extreme, woodchip. I didn't think it was necessary to mention that I wouldn't hesitate for a second in that situation.
Lord knows there's no question about it if a child is involved.

Nuckers, Abbey's doing well. I've seen how she, within a few weeks, is starting to see me as someone she wants to protect. My dad came in one day and she ran to the other side of the room, barked once, then she realized I was on the same side as my dad. The realization look on her face was amusing as she quickly trotted over to sit between me and my dad and just anxouisly observed my behavior with my dad until she figured he's a good guy.

Once I was introducing her to a neighbor I used ot live next to. She was ready to meet him until she felt his caution as he asked me if she's friendly. Soon as he started his cautious walk, she became cautious too. I thought that was very interesting.

I am not a big dog person for my own personal reasons and I still have this real timid fear about big dogs, even with Abbey. Still though, I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with Abbey and I enjoy the gentle expression she puts on when she's with me. It's almost as if she is saying \"hey, I am not going to do anything to you. I'll always be by your side.\"
Of course, that DID come after she knocked me down the stairs and realized by the sound of my angry voice she shouldn't have done that :P
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Bad things happen to everyone eventually.

Things could have been a lot worse than they turned out.

Odd how thieves take strange things... So far all that seems to be missing:

- 2 working Web Cameras
- 1 non-working Web Camera
- 1 Wireless Camera

Thanks for all the well wishes... This community has been a \"God Send\" to me over the almost last 10 years.

:roll:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Kiran wrote:Thanks for putting it that extreme, woodchip. I didn't think it was necessary to mention that I wouldn't hesitate for a second in that situation.
Lord knows there's no question about it if a child is involved.
Meaning no disrespect, but you do not know the intent of the guy breaking in. Once he has control of you and your family, there is not much you can do. As odious as it may be, you really do have to be prepared to "shoot first and ask questions later".
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Woodchip's right on not knowing the intent of the intruder. But being female, if the intruder was a male, you can damn well be sure that rape is always something on a female's mind with any break in situation. We used to live in a rural isolated area and my husband worked during the day. That's why I bought a handgun and learned how to use it and hit within a 3 inch circle 25 feet away. Violation of your home is bad enough, but violation of your body would almost be worse than death. So my attitude is that it's either him or me and if I'm armed, he gets shot, no warning.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Testiculese wrote:Pandora, a frontal strike to the windpipe with sufficient force would collapse it, resulting in strangulation. An angular impact can be used to make it swell but without collapse.
Interesting. That's what i heard, too. So you did some martial arts as well?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Hey Kiran, getting knocked down by ambitious pups can a does happen but it sounds like shes smart and figured out she did wrong... she knows your part of the family and will do anything to protect you as you observed with your Dad's visit, typical for her breed. Just be assertive and reward good behavior immediately, dogs have very short attention spans. Perhaps have you and her do some basic dog training together. That way she gets used to you giving commands and you should lose your apprehensions around her. I tell you Kiran that dog will always be loyal to you.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

This post made me think of this statistic. I would like to be armed before something bad happens, like getting car jacked.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Testiculese »

Pandora wrote:
Testiculese wrote:Pandora, a frontal strike to the windpipe with sufficient force would collapse it, resulting in strangulation. An angular impact can be used to make it swell but without collapse.
Interesting. That's what i heard, too. So you did some martial arts as well?
Yes, Tang Soo Do for several years.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Octopus wrote:Image
This post made me think of this statistic. I would like to be armed before something bad happens, like getting car jacked.
I'd just let him take whatever he was aiming for: my car, my wallet, my money. My life ain't worth those. On the bright side, DK goes with me quite often so I can deal with the situation better knowing that there is a cop right next to me. Around here: Mess with a cop, the WHOLE city will be looking! I've seen how that happened in the last few years when some of our cops got shot.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I'd like to see a breakdown of that graph by type. By itself it means nothing.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Glad to hear you got through it ok SW.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Considering I have a wife and 7 year old daughter to consider, I would not have hesitated to blow that bastard's head off, then asked him what his intentions were as he fell dead the floor. Any other approach to the problem is a gamble and risks their lives greatly. Any male strong and desperate enough to enter my home by force is already suspect of being capable of more personal and intrusive violations if given the chance.

When you boil families to their most basic elements and roles in life, mine is to protect and provide. And in all honesty, even if I was home alone with the rest of the family out of town, someone like that should not be allowed to go unchecked for the sake of insuring the safety of other families after he gets what he wants from me and my home. I would feel partly responsible if I heard he escaped my house unscathed, then raped and killed the neighbor down the street.

He would not make it out alive.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Heres one for ya with a vid clip to boot

http://www.kare11.com/news/whatsup/what ... &catid=333

We don't need no stinkin guns to defen ourselves - yea right - try living in a bad end of town and say that.
catpuke
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by catpuke »

It's called a victim mentality...
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

catpuke wrote:It's called a victim mentality...
Even if all you do is state the obvious, at least you can read.