Errr.. Miner Wars?!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Errr.. Miner Wars?!

Post by Sllik »

Where the hell did this come from?

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=31
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

wow. looks good!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Wow... looks like Descent meets Starscape.

Of course, being 6dof doesn't automatically make it good. It could turn out to have a stupid storyline, poorly balanced / thought out gameplay, bad dialogue, etc. Or it could turn out awesome. I won't get my hopes up too much until I hear from people who've actually had a chance to play.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Well, it's not out yet. Some features sound promising, others too good to be true, and some of of the forum responses almost make me scream hoax. So time will tell, I guess.

The parent company's *other* released project this year, the KeenBox site, has me leaning more towards the \"Hoax\" answer. Their selection of movies is painfully small (especially for something that's supposedly been open to the public since February), their sorting-by-price option is apparently horribly broken because I get all the same movies no matter which price category I choose, and they all link to other sites for the actual content.

And how 7,529 users can be \"online\" and actively using KeenBox at the time I'm typing this is beyond my comprehension.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

About then years ago when there weren't alot of shockwave sites, I'd always visit this 3d model site. They would put their models in shockwave for you to view. About ten years later this game comes out and the ships look sooo familiar!!!!
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/drop-ship/d-ship-shots.htm
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Yeah, the more I look at those ships, the more unsettled I become. A couple of variations remind me of the drop ship from Aliens, and the big red one has a couple of features eerily close to sections of the Deadalus class ships from Stargate SG-1/Atlantis.

Which would also explain the fact that this game seems to have sprung up from out of nowhere.
MinerWars
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Miner Wars

Post by MinerWars »

Hi Guys,

my name is Marek. I am from Keen Software House - the company behind Miner Wars.

I am happy that you have found our game. I would like to answer few questions and maybe more 'not even asked questions'.

We announced Miner Wars just few weeks ago, so that's why it comes from the hell :)

We have been working on Miner Wars last year or something, plus there was prototype phase before that.

Yes, we bought the mining ship models from 3DRT. Main reason was that they just fit into atmosphere we want to create. They are perfect.

KeenBox - this is sad topic, because the portal is developed, but right now we can't afford to spend any resource on developing or supporting (everyone is working on Miner Wars). It's shame. I hope we will continue right after Miner Wars is finished.

Hoax - I hope everything what we promised will be in the final game :) I am really not a liar-guy.

Story behind Miner Wars development - it started after I made the 'destructible environment' prototype. Right after that I started thinking what type of game can utilize it. Then I came to idea of mining, space/mining ships, asteroids, etc.

Last thing: If you have any suggestions - please tell me!!! I really want to hear anything. Idea, what you hate on 6DOF games or games at all. Or just write how you hate me or our game:)

BTW, I didn't read descentbb.net terms (who does?) so I am sorry if I broke it by this reply :).

Bye,
Marek
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Do you mind keeping us updated with this? It looks like something everyone here could be into.

Also, there are some 3d modelers here if you need help. (You don't look like you do.)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The only suggestion I have for you is to follow through with the release of the game. There's been a couple of times or even more in the past where the next 6DOF game has been announced, getting the community excited, had a strong following, and then eventually withered away into nothing and then died off, and we never hear of it ever again.

Good luck with this though, and hope the outcome will be favorable compared to past attempts.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

looks cool i like the art but the real question is will it be fun :)
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

I'm surprised and impressed to find that you came here and posted in response. I can only assume someone nudged you in our direction in order for you to address the problem, because I didn't post in the Miner Wars forums about this. It does show that you're concerned about the image your hard work conveys. You'll forgive me though if I'm still highly skeptical based on the vibes I'm getting.

But I wish you and the rest of the Keen team best of luck and hope I'll be proven wrong. *nods*
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Marek,

You'll have to pardon our skepticism. As Top Wop mentioned, this community has been burned by potential 6DoF games many many times. Every year or so it seems another game is 'coming out', with screenshots and even videos, only to be never heard from again.

I hope that's not the case with MinerWars. Keep us up to date on your progress.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Waiting patiently for more info/news/videos/anything.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Well Marek,

I for one anxiously await any and all info and details concerning this \"Miner Wars.\"

I think it shows some savvy on your and/or your teams part to directly address the core audience of this exciting project.

I won't say we've been awaiting the next 6dof game as this MUST be obvious.

Good luck with the endeavor and please, by all means, keep us posted. :)
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Octopus wrote:About then years ago when there weren't alot of shockwave sites, I'd always visit this 3d model site. They would put their models in shockwave for you to view. About ten years later this game comes out and the ships look sooo familiar!!!!
BTW I believe Insurectionist bought some models from there for use in Team RIP's Freelancer mod, "The Underverse."
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

AlphaDoG wrote: BTW I believe Insurectionist bought some models from there for use in Team RIP's Freelancer mod, "The Underverse."
I wonder if it's a good living to simply make models to upload onlline...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I'll x2 What Foil and Top Wop said. We don't mind projects that will have Descent-like gameplay, we've just been burned many times, too many for some.

I wish you and your team the best of luck.
MinerWars
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MinerWars »

Thank you for all your replies. And I will try to not catch your pessimism as I want to finish Miner Wars :)

Bye,
Marek
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yeah,

I'll believe it when I'm playing it and it has a Descent-like dogfighting feel to it.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Miner Wars

Post by Stroodles »

MinerWars wrote: BTW, I didn't read descentbb.net terms (who does?)
Everyone reads it. I can't believe you.

Best of luck really
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Sorry MinerWars guy. It doesn't look like you get the response you wanted here.
Personally I think you're very close to done if all you need to do now is make levels. If you need a hand with static mesh models please ask!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

snoopy wrote:I'll believe it when I'm playing it and it has a Descent-like dogfighting feel to it.
This is a common sentiment around here, and for good reason -- we have seen plenty of good-looking projects disappear after hearing great promises. And this project looks as good as any of them.

Marek, we're all hoping for the next great Descent-style game, and if you actually make it, most of us will buy it. I suspect if you grabbed a couple of trusted members of this board as game testers and they gave it positive reviews, several of us would preorder. (The chances that any of us will preorder before at least one or two trusted community members play the game are close to zero.)
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

UPDATE: According to Marek, this game is going to feature tri-chording (not the same speed boost as you get in Descent, but still good! :mrgreen: )

Linky: http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=45

Plus, this weapon list seems like manna from heaven to me!

Quote: \"Weapons - yes, we have mines too (even if they weren't in trailers, as they weren't finished at that time).
Furthermore we have these things: guided missiles, drilling explosives (remote detonation or you launch), remote camera, nano repair tool, medikit, radar jammer, radar, drugs, and more.\"

Link: http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=44

Finally - anyone know of good joysticks that work on both XBOX and PC? Marek is putting in Joystick support for Miner Wars and is looking for recommendations.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Joysticks:

Logitech, CH, Siatek, Thrustmaster.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Duper wrote:Joysticks:

Logitech, CH, Siatek, Thrustmaster.
CH with pedal support :D
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt