Death Announcement - Bama

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

I remember BAMA well. He was a funny guy and a great player. Sad news. :(
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I am very saddened to hear this. Bama and I had a lot of great times playing in Descent and DCBB. I first met him in person at Uberfest 2 in 99 when I sat next to him and Murph and we had a great time. And then again in Houston and at Suncoast 2. I still have one of his business cards with a cartoony Bama on it and a Descent.net t-shirt.

Whodat, I'm glad to hear it was quick at least. My condolences to you and your family. Andy and I haven't spoken in a year or so but he's been on my list for awhile to catch-up. (I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.) He will be missed.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I didn't know him well, nor was I close to him, but he was a pillar of the community, and had earned the respect of pretty much everyone he encountered.He will be missed.

Salute~
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I remember him, he seemed like a pretty cool guy and I played with him on several occasions. RIP.
Neitzl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neitzl »

I'm really sad to hear this.
RIP
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

*Bump*

Because he's worth it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

*bump*
why not. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The DRH Descent3 server is still hosting \"Bama's Revenge\" in memory. I've seen a few players in there; it would be a good way to remember and honor him. :)
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Sad news indeed.

We will miss you \"Bama\"!

:!:
ZappaFan
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by ZappaFan »

Wow very sad news indeed... I'm late on the news, haven't been on this nor the Wildcards forum for a while to say the least.

First met Bama online in Jan '97 when I first joined the Wildcards. He joined the Wildcards Cavalry just before I did and we played a lot of games together back then. You had the Wildcards & the Wildcards Cavalry. Sort of like the Varsity and the Jr. Varsity leagues. You had to join the Cavalry first and earn your stripes to get promoted into the Wildcards. Zonerie was running the Cavalry division back then.

What a crazy time when the Descent 3 beta was going on. That was when Bama really became well known in the community, when he & Zonerie were running Descent3.net. Bama owned the site but Zonerie was responsible for creating the site and all the graphics and a lot of the news content. Zonerie & Bama were both being active news hounds trying to find any sort of news scrap they could to post about. I remember Bama was on the phone with Craig (producer) at Outrage talking about the game and he'd report about it. I was also helping a little bit with Descent3.net at the time, running my own site, and running the Wildcards league at that time as well. Bama was super active in all that stuff. All this time I was working with the external beta team that was all super hush hush and secretive. Man! Those were the days! Funny little story about that... Zonerie and Bama and I were on the phone just about every day discussing the site and stuff that was going on, rumors and whatnot. I was in a bit awkward position being on the closed beta team (only 9 of us), and literally being sworn to secrecy by Outrage (signed NDA). So I had to be careful about what kind of \"news\" I reported. Well somehow Zonerie got hold of some news about some sort of magazine exclusive for release of the beta and he was in the process of actually calling all sorts of gaming magazines trying to confirm it. I was in a pinch because I did already know about it from conversations that I'd had with Craig at Outrage. I also knew that Outrage didn't want the news getting out ahead of time or it might mess up their agreement with the magazine. So Zonerie is on the phone telling me about how he's chasing down this rumor and he knows for sure something is out there but he hasn't been able to get to the bottom of it. And this whole time I still haven't told him about my being on the external beta team. I'm kind of freaking because if he posts news about the beta release it might look to Outrage that I was the one he got the information from! I'm trying to convince Zonerie that it might be best to not blow the lid off Outrage's plans for the beta but Zonerie has his teeth sunk into his investigation and is persuing it like a pitbull! I talk to Craig at Outrage and tell him of my predicament so he gives me permission to tell Zonerie & Bama that I'm on the beta team and to relay the request from Outrage to please not report the story. So later I'm on the phone with Zonerie and he's telling me about how he's getting close on the story, and again I'm trying to convince him to drop his investigation, and I finally say, \"dude, you can't report this!\" to which he says, \"why not?\" and I reply \"because I'm on the D3 beta team and Outrage really doesn't want this reported!\". There's a long silence at the other end of the line and Zonerie just says, \"Damn....\". So we conference in Bama and I spill the beans to him, too, and the investigation is dropped.

Jim (Xciter) & I hosted two LAN parties after I moved from Indiana to Tampa in 2000. Suncoast I & Suncoast II. Bama attended both of them and we had an absolute blast playing together. I remember Bama being the old coger that he was, was real picky about the chair he used for LAN parties. For the first Suncoast LAN I believe he had a trailer he towed with his car that he brought his own computer chair down with him. At Suncoast II he didn't want to haul a chair down and he had me find him a good one locally that he bought just for the LAN, and then sold real cheap to the lady that worked at the hotel as events coordinator.

I haven't spoken to him in a long time, but Bama will be missed. He was a truely unique dude, always a pleasure to be around. RIP Andy!

Jeff
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Heh, great story Zappa. I bet Bama and I would have gotten along at a LAN party because if anyone remembers Chilan (and one of the smaller michigan LANs before that) they might remember that I brought my own office chair... :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Great post Zappa. I miss those days sometimes. :(
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Gonna put on my descent3.net shirt and hopefully play some Bama's Revenge tonight.
Whodat232
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Whodat232 »

Love you guys....

Remember.... Bama luv's ya!
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I'm here to offer my condolences as well.

Admiral Thrawn, aka Korrupt^Bots^
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

:( RIP man.
ZappaFan
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by ZappaFan »

Check this, I still have a scan of Bama's business card he made... it's pretty cool...

KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

I remember chatting with Bama in the old days of Kali. For those of you that don't know what Kali is or was, it was before teamspeak & ventrilo. I had joined the Wildcards just as his tenure was winding down. Some time later when the Wildcards went idle I joined up with him on his DCBB team.
The old man could cuss better then any I knew. I found great humor in that.
Funny story time about that. I had just started playing BF42 and was quite terrible. A whole bunch of us were on TS with Bam and the subject of cheating came up. The that chat was somewhat intense and Bama from out of know where says well the only person that we would let cheat would be KtheC, meaning I was that bad that it couldn't possibly help. Well that was met with a prompt \"FU Bama\" which resulted in a huge laugh from everyone. It went on for several minutes and was deafening. It is one of the best memories I have of him. Bama was rough and abrasive, but he could take a joke if said in the right manner.
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FireFox »

roncli wrote:I remember Bama very well. I actually modified a few of his favorite D3 maps to insert his favorite weapon, the Earthshaker. Bama's Revenge, Zonerie, you remember that?

He was insane fun to play with. He will certainly be missed. Rest in piece, man. :(
My condolences!

If I recall I think I did play him a couple of times in those Earthshaker mod levels in the PXO days. That was truly awesome times :wink:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

condolences and prayers from here as well.
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

\"Remember, Bama loves you\"

And we loved him. Sad day indeed.
MK-Defender
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bama was my friend. Andy Blalock

Post by MK-Defender »

Hey guys , It's me as you know as MK-Defender >> Online Gaming from way back in a days.

Playing Online games on a 56k modem with kali and and heat.net
When the Descent3 World Championship In Las Vegas Nevada.

August 16, 1999 - within a few weeks. Between August 26 and 28, Interplay, Cases Ladder
and the Cyberathlete Professional League will host Phase III of the 1999 Descent 3 Championship and Lanfest .. Andy B known as
Bama did the write up's for all of the matches and who played to win the heat matches.
The best players would be off to the
Descent3 World Championship Final in Las Vegas Nevada in 1999 .

BAMA , Whodat , [ROX]Fatal , BASH , MK-Defender ,

All the Descent players were in the The Descent3 World Championship and heat.net ladder matches.

Love you and always Remember you Bama Blalock Rest in Peace..
Your Friend MK-defender

Planetdescent profile.
Aliases:
http://www.descent3.net/bamanicks.htm Processor: Intel Pentium III-800/944 MHz
Languages: English and Trash Talk NIC: N/A
Music Preference: OLDIES and Blues Sound: Monster Sound A3D
Quote: \"Remember Bama Loves Ya!\" HD: 11 GB + 20 GIG
Hobbies: Descent 3, web server, HTML, and home network Monitor: 19 Sony 400PS
Accomplishment: Cases Top 10 Connection: SDSL 1.1 meg both ways
Other: Earphones: Sennheiser HD 590 $360 retail
Descent III
Controller: Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro

Clan: Wildcards (Retired)URL:http://www.wildcards.org

Suncoast LAN Uberfest 2 in 99
Clan Founder [DCBB] Desert Combat Band of Brothers .
WorldclassKillersClan 2009
Bama's BAW MOD 2009 still played -=WCK=-

***NOTICE***
Brothers at War BF2 Mod Download is for
PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION ..
File planet Battlefield 2 - Brothers at War
MOD Client

http://www.fileplanet.com/210348/downlo ... Mod-Client

Founder http://www.dcbbclan.com
Merged into below -=WCK=- http://www.worldclasskillersclan.com

Planetdescent profile:
Favorite Game: Descent 3 ICQ: 433719
Other Games: OOPS ,Battlefield1942 Desert Combat MOD
Battlefield2 , Bama's
Favorite Weapon: Vauss, MD, Earthshaker
Favorite Level: Earthshaker2001, Half Pipe, Worlds Apart, and Stadium ,Bama's Revenge
Favorite MOD: Anarchy, CTF
Favorite Ship: Pheonix
Lots of Descent history cataloged at Descent3.net Thanks to Bama.
I believe we moved it over to PD for longevity
of archive and I guess it worked.
It's been up for 10+ years!

He will be missed. RIP.

http://www.planetdescent.com/d3net/bama/
This is partial archive of the original Descent3.net, focussing on news and tactics, so other areas may be inaccessible.
This site was originally operated by Andy Blalock (Bama) starting in 7/1998,
And was modified by Nagromme 1/2001 to preserve some of the most useful content.
At that time, the counter above was reset to an estimated 2,000,000 page accesses (500,000 visits
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

gfg, bama

Post by Nirvana »

gfg, bama
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I may have come too late to know Bama, but may he rest in peace.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
.eK.Warlord
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by .eK.Warlord »

I remember Bama from the Wildcard days.Met him many times.The first was in Baton reuge lan fest ENDER threw.He came here to Atlanta a few times to some of Kilns lans.And i partied withem in Florida at the Suncoast.I remember saying to him once at a lan..DAMN my sidewinder broke..i guess im off to Wal-mart(Yes they sold sidewinders at wal-mart)hehe.He said hey War get me a few as well..i said 1 or 2?No he said get me s mny s you can and handed me 500 bux,i just thought that was funny as hell.I ended up getting him 4.I spent MANY MANY hours with bama in descent.Im so PISSED hes passed away.I love you Bama.
Allen aka
Warlord
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

RIP Bama, you left many good memories in the life's of those you encountered.
Wellie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wellie »

I have some great memories from the time I visited Bama at his home in 1999. I was an honoured guest for a few precious days before flying up to Chicagofest 99 with Ender and Tenedos.
Reflecting on Warlords story about the Sidewinders, Bama had a closet full of dead sidewinders that he would get spare parts for to try and repair them. When I say a closet full there must have been about 40!!
I recall his chair as well, the biggest TV I had seen up to that point in my life and of course his dog dougie (pronounced doogie). What a fantastic guy! I regret not keeping in closer contact but life is like that at times.
I remember everyone I met in my visits to the USA and thanks be that I also met Bama....the one and only.
Belated condolences to Andy's family and close friends.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

Wellie, thanks for bumping this thread.
I certainly had not heard. Back in the day
Bama and I talked, chatted, and played a good
bit. I am certainly sorry to hear the news.
My belated condolences as well.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Damn, I hadn't stumbled across this until now. :( I never knew Bama personally, but I definitely remember him being active in the community, and it was clear that he was a great human being. Keep on flying.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Wow, I only rarely pop in here but this news is a shock.

Yeah I hung out with Andy a couple of times at LANs back in the day ...what an awesome guy.

He was super enthusiastic about the game, really involved in the community and loved me and KB for doing this site. We talked about some joint projects with D3.net ... dont think we followed thru ..

My only experience with the guy was he was a class act, great player, really warm and down to earth and funny.

Weird how I only met him twice, but now that I know this news I miss him

-Sup
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think he wrote some multiplayer tips in the D3 manual as well...

RIP
PistolPete
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by PistolPete »

Finally figured out my login and password...

Truly sad news when someone with whom we have shared both good times and bad passes away.

I see many old D3 players here. D3 and the Wildcards got me though a really tough time in my life back when I was seriously injured in 2001. BF1942 and the [DCBB] also helped keep my spirits up and keep me going.

May you rest in peace Bama.

{WC}Pistol Pete
Wildcards League Master Emeritus
MK-Defender
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bama

Post by MK-Defender »

Thanks Guys .. Bama was my friend .. :)
MK-Defender
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bama Photos

Post by MK-Defender »

Anyone have any photo's of Bama in his days Lan pictures, Anything Please..

Thanks MK-defender
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Click the My Very First Descent LAN in 1998 link on this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/200503080417 ... shaker.htm

It may take a while for the photos to load, so be patient.
Fiend
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fiend »

Sorry to hear. RIP Bama.
Midgard9
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Midgard9 »

I haven't been to this site in very very long time, but I decided to look it up out of nostalgic curiosity and was sad to see this thread. I remember Bama from way back when and he was a good guy. Sorry to read that he left us last year. RIP Bama.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Juan Montalvo wrote:Old age is an island surrounded by death.
Rest in Peace.
MK-Defender
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Tribute To Andy Blalock Youtube Video

Post by MK-Defender »

Here's the Youtube Tribute Video
By MK-Defends

<object width=\"640\" height=\"385\"><param name=\"movie\" value=\" name=\"allowFullScreen\" value=\"true\"></param><param name=\"allowscriptaccess\" value=\"always\"></param><embed src=\"" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" allowscriptaccess=\"always\" allowfullscreen=\"true\" width=\"640\" height=\"385\"></embed></object>
What happened to PXO.