Miner Wars Alpha in-game video with 6DOF

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Miner Wars Alpha in-game video with 6DOF

Post by Gekko71 »

Lots of new updates coming with Miner Wars - a Beta is not far off apparently.

Check it out at:

http://www.minerwars.com/

Also at:

Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I've completely lost interest in it.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I'd love to see some combat.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

/me slaps some sense into Spaceboy.

I cannot wait! Looks fast paced. I wonder what a Descent vet can do to the noobs. First day, they'll ask, \"how the heck r u so good?!?! LOL im a N00b.\" I'll just sit and smile. I hope it has Joystick support!
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Spaceboy wrote:I've completely lost interest in it.
:shock:
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Spaceboy wrote:I've completely lost interest in it.
What the hell
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Spaceboy just accidentally wrote the book on how to troll the DBB.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

wow this destructable terrain is just like nTrap.
i'm liking it

Heres a video showing more of the features.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

No, I'm being serious.

Descent is a good game, but that doesn't mean all 6DOF games are going to be good.

Miner wars has been making extremely slow progress, it seems like only 2-3 guys are doing it. Even if it is an entire company, I've not heard a single thing about this game anywhere but this board. It won't really have a workable population to form clans and all that.

I liked Descent because of the fast-paced high action gameplay. Miner wars seems like an awful lot of boring flying around shooting rocks with occasional action that is nowhere near as good as typical Descent gameplay.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Spaceboy wrote:Descent is a good game, but that doesn't mean all 6DOF games are going to be good.
Who cares
Spaceboy wrote:Miner wars has been making extremely slow progress, it seems like only 2-3 guys are doing it. Even if it is an entire company, I've not heard a single thing about this game anywhere but this board. It won't really have a workable population to form clans and all that.
You forget that its free.
Spaceboy wrote:I liked Descent because of the fast-paced high action gameplay. Miner wars seems like an awful lot of boring flying around shooting rocks with occasional action that is nowhere near as good as typical Descent gameplay.
The dumbest thing ive ever herd. Its an ALPHA TEASER with ONLY EIGHT minutes of footage. and there is such a thing as multiplayer
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Spaceboy wrote:No, I'm being serious.

Descent is a good game, but that doesn't mean all 6DOF games are going to be good.

Miner wars has been making extremely slow progress, it seems like only 2-3 guys are doing it. Even if it is an entire company, I've not heard a single thing about this game anywhere but this board. It won't really have a workable population to form clans and all that.

I liked Descent because of the fast-paced high action gameplay. Miner wars seems like an awful lot of boring flying around shooting rocks with occasional action that is nowhere near as good as typical Descent gameplay.

So they need to put the ship in a smaller environment so it looks like it's moving faster? Oh and they need to speed up the production timeline? Really? That's why this game isn't good? Seriously. Those are your reasons and they suck.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Spaceboy - I know you were being serious :) I meant "accidentally" because of the reaction you got, even though it was unintended.
Isaac wrote:So they need to put the ship in a smaller environment so it looks like it's moving faster?
The gameplay benefit of putting the ship in a smaller environment isn't to provide the illusion of speed - it's to make the game more challenging and bump up the pace a bit. It's not an accident that claustrophobic levels like Vamped had faster (and decidedly more exciting, IMHO) gameplay than the D3 levels with big outdoor areas.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I think it is weird that they only focus on the distructable environments. This is a nice feature, i guess, but I really would like to see some gameplay. How will the fights look? Which weapons will be available, etc.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

There was a blurb about Miner Wars in a recent PC Gamer.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote: The gameplay benefit of putting the ship in a smaller environment isn't to provide the illusion of speed - it's to make the game more challenging and bump up the pace a bit. It's not an accident that claustrophobic levels like Vamped had faster (and decidedly more exciting, IMHO) gameplay than the D3 levels with big outdoor areas.
Things I know already.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Then why do you say that reason \"sucks\"?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Somebody lost interest in yet another video game tease…string him up to the highest tree already…

Not drooling over something is just as constructive as getting all goggle eyed.

You guys are pathetic.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Don't say that to people who believe Descent 4 is coming out. :lol:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote:Then why do you say that reason "sucks"?
Because they're non issues. We should have more games like descent. I don't care if the levels look too big or the other lame things you mentioned. The last thing I want is the 3 guys, making the game (I'm sure it's a low number), to be upset by you thoughtless comment.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Spidey wrote:You guys are pathetic.
suck my back
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

OK, let's see. First, Spaceboy was using that as justification for his opinion of the game (i.e., not being impressed with it). They're perfectly valid for that. Obviously you come to a different conclusion because \"non-issues\" like gameplay matter less to you than having a new Descent-like game at all - which is also perfectly valid since it's been a while, but it's no reason to bash him over it.

Second, if the guys making this game have hit the real world at all, they won't expect everybody to like what they're doing or be discouraged because a handful of people don't.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

I like the asteroid aspect of it because it's probably somewhat realistic. IMHO Humans will likely be doing this in the not so distant future, mining asteroids.
So if it's a boring sim in that respect, i personally wouldn't complain much.
But we don't know it's boring anyway, it could be exciting.
S13driftAZ wrote:You forget that its free.
You sure of that? I was reading about the anti-piracy scheme being an internet-required-for-play thing. Like the old halflife 1 where it always had to authenticate with Valve(tm) before it would let you play.
That doesn't sound like something a free game would bother with.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Not to mention that they mention it being for XBox Live Arcade... also something I'm sure that a \"FREE\" game would do. However, I think a game like this would be an excellent choice as a live arcade game. I would actually download and play this one on Live, unlike most of the stuff on XBox live arcade. :)

Looks interesting, just because the pace is slower, doesn't mean it will be a bad game either and it is a nice start for future games considering that NO one else is trying to make anything close to a decent space game or 6 degrees freedom game.
Templeton
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Templeton »

Just a little clarification from the website.

1) We will start offering our game at a promotion pricing level that will be at roughly 1/3 of the final product price
2) All the players that will buy the game at this promotion pricing will get a full game with no extra charge on the day of release
3) Our promotion pricing will only be applied to the PC version of the game. Xbox360 release will feature a full game with future upgrades.
3) All the players interested to participate on this model will receive a release in these steps:

A) single-player beta featuring some basic features and missions
B) improved single-player beta with more features
C) single and multi-player beta access with some basic features
D) single and multi-player full game with all the features set to the date of release
E) stable flow of upgrades for their full game

Also, to answer the number of people on the team.

There are apparently 5 now, but only as of this year. Before that I believe it was just one guy doing it all.

They appear to be looking for people to join their team and help with modeling and stuff like that. Most notably, on the FAQ it stated that it is going to be \"alot like Descent\".

Personally, I think the tunneling and mining is a direct relation to Descent and that type of game play, plus some aspects of Freespace outside of the asteroids.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Looks nice. What ever happened to Core Decision?
Why doesn't it work?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ran out of steam, to cut a long story short.
Templeton
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Templeton »

Another thing to consider is that they have a screenshot with 300 ships on it. Basically, they are saying that you could have a dogfight, in an endless enviroment, with 300 ships moving across your screen at any given time.

So maybe there would be your fast paced portion?

Go to the Pics section of the website and take a look.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

The asteroids can be of such epic size that you could have an entire hollowed out \"Descent\" mine structure in there.
Make it outof hard to destroy material (they said some materials will be impervious to certain weak weapons) and
BAM! a cool Descent clone.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Is there a drilling missile that will make cube tunnels like in D1 and D2? That brings a whole new meaning to level creator! :lol: Would need door missiles and a reactor missile as well.

Serioually though, tis game will force me to buy a new pc for gaming. Wounder if it will come out on PS3 as well, probably not though.
Why doesn't it work?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Xamindar wrote:buy a new pc for gaming
geeze i hope not, coz i'm not doing that.
i hope they release some kindof technology demo first so i know whether to buy it or not
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

In my opinion the first thing a company should release is a working demo…and not all of this tease.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

X2 Spidey.
Templeton
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Templeton »

Roid said- \"The asteroids can be of such epic size that you could have an entire hollowed out \"Descent\" mine structure in there.\"

There was a quote by the original developer on their website, talking about how they could eventually have fully destructible asteroids that are the equivelant of our Moon in size.

Imagine a couple of those, with tunnels and a base inside, and then 300+ ships fighting it out between them in CTF or something.

Wheeee......
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Templeton wrote:Roid said- "The asteroids can be of such epic size that you could have an entire hollowed out "Descent" mine structure in there."

There was a quote by the original developer on their website, talking about how they could eventually have fully destructible asteroids that are the equivelant of our Moon in size.

Imagine a couple of those, with tunnels and a base inside, and then 300+ ships fighting it out between them in CTF or something.

Wheeee......
Exactly!
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

May be cool, but may get annoying. You'd have to do something to add flavor, and not make it random and chaotic.
Templeton
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Templeton »

Here are some of the possibilities for the game as referenced by their FAQ.

Richness of Possible Actions:

Revenge missions
Rescue missions
Exploration missions
Defending the base
Transportation missions
Theft missions
Searching for and destroying enemies
Searching for the enemy's base
Searching and harvesting ore, minerals or gems
Equipping the mining ship according to your own wish (buying weapons, shields, engines and so on)
Digging a secret tunnel and sneak attack
Creation of traps
Speed race
Dig tunnels of unlimited size and length
Open world area - travel from one sector to another
Or just flying around and destroying everything you see

Game Elements
Unique mining ships: 10 (from smallest to largest, fast and slow, large cargo, huge shields...)
Weapons: 20 (volcano cannon, guided missiles, mines, gravity bombs, tunnel buster...)
Ammo: 20 (armor piercing, explosive, high velocity...)
Drilling devices: 5 (pressure drilling, thermal drilling, saw, nuclear drilling device...)
Equipment types: 50 (various radars, jammer, X-ray, engines, enhancing drugs, armor, med kit, auto targeting...)
Factions: 20 (ENFOR - Earth Nations Peacekeeping Forces, Space Rescue, WASA - World Aeronautics and Space Administration or many other corporations and Black Market Dealers, ...)
Ore types: 20 (iron, uraninite , helium 3, gold, diamonds, ...)
Asteroids: millions to billions, nobody can count them...
World size: unlimited in every direction

So would appear to have numerous \"Flavors\". Besides, most of the multiplayer games in Descent are somewhat \"random and chaotic\", which I think is part of its appeal.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Templeton wrote: Besides, most of the multiplayer games in Descent are somewhat "random and chaotic", which I think is part of its appeal.
Gameplay yes, levels, no.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Wow this IS sounding more and more like nTrap
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Templeton wrote: Speed race
We shall race speed itself! :o :o
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Templeton wrote:There was a quote by the original developer on their website, talking about how they could eventually have fully destructible asteroids that are the equivelant of our Moon in size.

Wheeee......
With so many people in there, the tunnels will quickly hollow out bigger and bigger from all the missed shots. The landscape could look quite interesting, neighbouring tunnels eventually meeting up with one another until the landscape simplifys down to just one huge raggity hollow misshapen sphere - continually growing with all the stray bullet spam.