Starwars vs Star Trek

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Starwars vs Star Trek

Post by Isaac »

I'm going to sum this up real simple-like.
I believe the technology in the Star Trek universe is so far more advanced than in Starwars it would be like watching a few Spaniards kill thousands of Indians. Not only would the Enterprise be able to destroy any Starwars small fighter, but would probably be able to take and deflect multiple hits from the Death Star, despite its ability to blow up a planet. Weapons of the Star Trek world also have these abilities, which blow up planets. So, if you were to bring in a more advanced ship from the Star Trek world it wouldn't be a fair fight for any number of Death Stars.

I'm not an expert in any of these fictional worlds, but, after seeing so many arguments favoring the Starwars tech, I think people overlook some really basic stuff when comparing the two.

edit:
Stargate tech pwns all.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Ok, I don't know much about Star Trek, but I think your claim that the Enterprise could withstand the Death Star's super-laser is pretty absurd. However...

It would be neat to debate the merits of the Enterprise against a similar type ship from the Star Wars universe. But before we can even do that, you need to decide which Enterprise.

Check out this Starship Comparison Chart and maybe we can research the tech data on the Enterprise and a comparable Star Wars ship (perhaps the Galactic Republic Acclamator Series?).

But yeah, the Enterprise could probably take out most small fighters. Then again the two aren't really comparable. And could the Enterprise take out a whole squad of fighters? Maybe not.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Good job, Krom.

Vision, I think you're comparing size with power and I don't think that can be done here.

Just think for a second. What kind of of technology any of the USS Enterprises had. That level of engineering must carry over to other things like deflector shields.

If you ever saw the early Stargate Sg1 episodes, remember how powerful the Asgard were compared to the Goa'uld? The competition would be much like that. The Goa'uld are close in technology to the world of Starwars and the Asguard are closer to Star Trek.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lol, within 10 seconds of the fight the Enterprise’s shields would be down to 10% the control panels would be sparkin, and the warp core would be about to blow.

Oh, and the guy in the red shirt…would be dead. :wink:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

lol!!
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I dunno...

I mean, like...

What if Superman and Mightymouse fought.

Like...who would win? I think it's another burning question in the minds of men.

:roll:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Speedy Gonzales ftw
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Enterprise vs Pyro GX?...
j/k
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I find it funny that a race who's mastered transportation is technologically matched by one that hasn't. It doesn't make sense.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Simple, the people in the Star Trek universe are way to civilized…

The Enterprise is a exploration ship that just happens to have guns for protection, going up against a war fleet.

The better matchup would be Galactia vs. Star Wars. Same type of systems, basically…battle platforms that launch smaller craft.

The Enterprise is just not a war ship, so against a trained battle fleet… Now if they could start beaming those photon torpedoes… (but they don’t think like that, so they don’t have the tactics)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Wow! You just blew my mind. I must think of this some more.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by vision »

Isaac wrote:I find it funny that a race who's mastered transportation is technologically matched by one that hasn't. It doesn't make sense.
I find your lack of faith in the force disturbing. A Sith Lord could take out the captain of the Enterprise (or anyone else on the ship) at will. Good luck giving commands to your subordinates with a crushed windpipe. So, in that case, it doesn't matter what type of power a ship has. Your "superior" technology is useless against the power of the force.

</contest>
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Check out the ZULU wars, in one battle the English had all of the big bad technology…and lost.

Technology doesn’t win battles…tactics do, technology can win a war of attrition tho.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The death Star can't lock in on a moving target, Why it only goes after planets. There's no way it would be able to target and hit the enterprise.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

CDN_Merlin wrote:The death Star can't lock in on a moving target, Why it only goes after planets. There's no way it would be able to target and hit the enterprise.
Umm the death star shot admiral ackabars ship???
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

CDN_Merlin wrote:The death Star can't lock in on a moving target, Why it only goes after planets. There's no way it would be able to target and hit the enterprise.
Hello! Planets ARE moving targets. lol
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

This guy seems to have done his homework:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... nutes.html

Regardless of made-up power ratings, the Enterprise (as someone said), was an exploratory ship that seemed to prefer peaceful negotiations and beaming people onto planets to work stuff out.

The Empire, Separatists, Republic, etc were all battle fleets consisting of all sorts of war-designed ships, weapons, soldiers, etc, trained specifically to win wars.

It's like pitting the US Navy against Columbus. Even one on one, the larger Star Wars ships are quite formidable.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Merlin,

Return of the Jedi.

The Death Star could locked onto Battle Cruisers and destroyed them in that movie.... ;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

About a hundred Spanish explorers defeated thousands of indianan warriors, because there was a technological gap.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

How fast were those battle cruisers going? Didn't look as they would move as fast as the Enterprise. But I'm no expert.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

AlphaDoG wrote:
Hello! Planets ARE moving targets. lol
Don't be stupid. I know they move but they don't evade like the Enterprise would.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It wouldn't even be a fight because all the star wars ships would vaporize themselves from trying to fire off laser beams of such ridiculous power outputs.

Star Trek is science fiction, Star Wars is pure fantasy. They simply don't compare at all.

And if you insist on Star Trek vs Star Wars, then I'd just say Q simply vanished the entire Star Wars universe into nothingness so Star Trek wins by default. The force has nothing on the Q.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I can't believe nobody has posted a Nerds pic yet??
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

d0ggY wrote:This guy seems to have done his homework:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... nutes.html
dang you! I just spent 45 minutes on this page! :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Lol. The pics of the stormtroopers dancing remind me of Star Wars: Droidworks.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I'm Not Dead yet!

this is awesome. :lol:

And there's always I.M.P.S.

The quality of this series is amazing.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Flatlander »

dissent wrote:I can't believe nobody has posted a Nerds pic yet??
I was just thinking that :lol:
si vis pacem, para bellum
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well Merlin the Enterprise has three modes of propulsion…

1. Maneuvering Thrusters…very slow
2. Impulse…slow (ion)
3. Warp…fast

The Century ship has three modes of propulsion…

1. Maneuvering Thrusters…very slow
2. Ion Drive…slow
3. Hyper-Space…fast

But, those Century ships have really big engines on the back for their ion propulsion… (Enterprise’s is dinky)

So go figure.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

I think if you spent time thinking over
an answer or time posting an opinion.
You should pack your ★■◆● and move out of
your mothers basement. You are 32 now, and
it just isn't right :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Spidey, I'm going to disagree on one point here. The impulse drive on the federation ships is not slow. You can clear the solar system in under half an hour at full impulse.
Doesn't full impuse get you to just under light speed? I'll go look that up. I actually have a Star Trek manual for the Enterprise D that goes into quite a bit of detail about this stuff.

A \"standard\" photon torpedo maxes out at Warp 2 btw. Technically that's faster than any energy weapon. ;)
Then you have high yield Quantum Torps that are faster.

The real question I guess would boil down to is how the sheilds from each universe stack up against each other. Star Wars shields seem a good deal weaker and not much better than ablative armor.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HERE is one of the more comprehensive explanations of impulse drive and its relative speeds. It seems like so many things in the Star Trek Genre that few things (ie. star date) were never calculated in a constant fasion. :)

then there is this. The Contemporary Warp Scale
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

“Slow” was used as a relative term here.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

What the Star Trek and Star Wars ships need is a Dark Matter Engine developed by Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth. The Dark Matter engine, which doesn't move the ship through the universe, but instead moves the universe around it at phenomenal speeds and is thereby able to cover incredible distances in a relatively short period of time.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I think if you spent time thinking over
an answer or time posting an opinion.
You should pack your ***** and move out of
your mothers basement. You are 32 now, and
it just isn't right Smile
lol I wasn't gonna say anything :P
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Why is it that when I am watching Star Trek that whenever thay take a hit, their shields are holding and yet everything in the bridge catches on fire? And then the warpcore starts detonating. Just pull the dangged plug, jetteson the thing, or just tell it to \"sit down and shut up! I've had enough of yo 'sas!\" (I swear, it's always blowing up) But no, they detatch the whole rear section. There was one Next Generation where Kirk came back to help Picard stop a madman from destroying a sun aand getting to the Nexus. If you remember that, there was a Hangon ship (is that what they're called? ;)) that discovered the Enterprise's shield frequency and were able to shoot through it. It was only about 5 min before they were able to destroy the Clingon ship and they were pretty much toast anyway. Armor much?

Star Wars logic fail detected. You know those 2 shield generators on top of a Star Destroyer? Why are those NOT covered by the generator and everything else is? It is THE GENERATOR. The SOURCE. You'd expect it to be stronger there. And then we move on to gunners of the laser cannons....hmmmm. I was going to say that they had untrained movie actors as gunners, but actually, they were pretty good. I can't think of one more negative thing for the SD. Think of something, guys!

My annoyance of the shields and Star Trek warp core aside, we're on to the nerdom (as if that wasn't bad enough)............ Chuck Norris shows up, the end. XD
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Also something kinda odd about comparing the two. Blasters and rifles from Star Wars despite having ridiculously higher power outputs seem to be a lot less powerful than their Phaser counterparts from Star Trek. A Blaster/rifle hits you in the arm and it gives you a nasty burn and leaves a clean bullet hole. A Phaser hits you in the arm and you are out an arm at best or you end up completely vaporized at worst... And hand Phasers have also been demonstrated destroying fairly large structures in a single shot. (In an episode of TNG Data destroyed an entire aquaduct irrigation pipeline with a single shot from a hand Phaser.) Also the massive utility of Phasers that can be turned into heaters, cutters, force field generators, structural integrity enhancers, communicators, explosives, and shield generators just to name a few. A Blaster on the other hand doesn't seem to have much utility beyond a sidearm. Although on that note the stun setting on Blasters seems to be superior and a lot less potentially lethal than the stun setting on Phasers.