Console Gamers Get Killed against PC Gamers

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Console Gamers Get Killed against PC Gamers

Post by TigerRaptor »

Is this shocking news? Not really. But funny none the less.

Microsoft failed test to join Console Gamers with PC Gamers. Said to be a rumor.

http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/consol ... st-pc.html
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Nothing to see here, move along.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

If you're going to post something. Stick with one picture, instead of a bunch of random ones.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Sorry TigerRaptor about my comment, it was meant to imply that we PC gamers already knew we had the ability to smoke a console gamer, not that the article you linked to was not worth reading, for it was a very good read. TY for posting it.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I have two friends that believe they could destroy me if I used my mouse and keyboard against their XBOX or PS2/3 controllers in a 3d shooter...

\"Auto aim takes some skill, doood\".

It drives me crazy.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

No reason to apologize. This topic has come many times in the past. So it was expected.

Just pointing out many gamers knew this a long time ago.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, totally not surprised at this one.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

It's all about the superior control. Maybe they will develop keyboards and mice for their consoles now?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:If you're going to post something. Stick with one picture, instead of a bunch of random ones.
They aren't random. I just changed my mind.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Neo wrote:
TigerRaptorFX wrote:If you're going to post something. Stick with one picture, instead of a bunch of random ones.
:P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

snoopy wrote:It's all about the superior control. Maybe they will develop keyboards and mice for their consoles now?
UT3 on the PS3 can do this with any USB or bluetooth mouse or keyboard, but I don't think it's a very popular feature. Hell, even I just used the regular controller. Console gaming tends to happen in the living room where there aren't any desks. :P
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

I knew it! I've tested it and I believe it to be true. In my experience, Mouse + KB > Controller, Joystick >> Controller.

Who here flies with a controller? I challenge you!
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

NUMBERZero wrote:I knew it! I've tested it and I believe it to be true. In my experience, Mouse + KB > Controller, Joystick >> Controller.

Who here flies with a controller? I challenge you!
If I recall, there was a very skilled player who played with a gamepad, using his pinkies to hit buttons on the keyboard at the same time.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

This article doesn't apply to Descent unless you have mouselook enabled, which is typically frowned upon.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

I've always wanted to mouselook just to be a jerk.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

null0010 wrote:I've always wanted to mouselook just to be a jerk.
Well at least it can be disabled from the server side. Descent with mouselook makes no sense.
Why doesn't it work?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Xamindar wrote:
null0010 wrote:I've always wanted to mouselook just to be a jerk.
Well at least it can be disabled from the server side. Descent with mouselook makes no sense.
I never understood why people say that, but simultaneously have no problem with Descent with only a keyboard mapped.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

null0010 wrote: I never understood why people say that, but simultaneously have no problem with Descent with only a keyboard mapped.
Because you are supposed to be piloting a ship that has a limited turning speed based on it's mechanical design (engine, thrusters and whatnot). You should not be able to turn as fast as you can move your mouse.
Can you turn your car around as fast as you can spin your body around?

Regarding console, there are these. But you are still limited to the maximum speed you can turn with a console controller. I wish they would have thought of including mouse support in the console games when the last generation came out. Hopefully the next generation will have it. If not, I guess I'll just stick to mainly PC gaming.
Why doesn't it work?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

null0010 wrote:
Xamindar wrote:Descent with mouselook makes no sense.
I never understood why people say that, but simultaneously have no problem with Descent with only a keyboard mapped.
It's not about input method, it's about consistent physics.

As long as every player is subject to the same limitations, I don't care what they use to control their ship. They can use a speech-recognition device mapped to key commands, for all I care.

However, mouselook breaks the turn-rate physics (and thus most good dogfights) in the game. [It should be clarified that mouselook is *not* "control via mouse". Mouselook in Descent3 is an "unlimited turn rate" setting.]