Heat wave

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Heat wave

Post by woodchip »

Just checked National Weather for my area and it is 99 deg. (Michigan) How are the rest of you holding up?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Heat wave

Post by Isaac »

I have to bring a jacket and and beenie because all the rooms on campus are freaking freezing, no matter how hot it is outside. *Warming my hands on my laptop* In the winter its the exact opposite.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The last two weeks up here in Fargo it was between 91 and 100+ with heat indexes up to 115.

Today its a downright bearable 85. My AC isn't working nearly as hard anymore :)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

95 to a 100 degree weather here. Haven't had the chance to bike or jog this week.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Your guy's misery is our air-conditioned summer. We've had only temps up into the 70's and a few 80's with a few days of light rain here in the NW. Almost a bummer, but I'm not griping. That big high pressure area in the middle of the country doesn't want to move, so you guys get roasted. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:Your guy's misery is our air-conditioned summer. We've had only temps up into the 70's and a few 80's with a few days of light rain here in the NW. Almost a bummer, but I'm not griping. That big high pressure area in the middle of the country doesn't want to move, so you guys get roasted. :mrgreen:
I think I can speak for everyone east of the rockies when I say "★■◆● you" and "the west coast doesn't count".
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

114f or 47c here. I roller bladed home today :D
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Avder wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Your guy's misery is our air-conditioned summer. We've had only temps up into the 70's and a few 80's with a few days of light rain here in the NW. Almost a bummer, but I'm not griping. That big high pressure area in the middle of the country doesn't want to move, so you guys get roasted. :mrgreen:
I think I can speak for everyone east of the rockies when I say "**** you" and "the west coast doesn't count".
I wasn't gloating per se, well, maybe a little. :mrgreen: You'll get your schadenfreude come August, when we usually bake on the West Coast and the forests burn.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I didn't set a toe outside today. I considered it a wise choice.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Holding up fine, don't think we've broken 80 degrees this year, around 60-70 as of late, plenty of cloud cover, occasional light rain. It's basically still spring. But I'd rather have this than long stretches of 100+ weather. It's at least tolerable.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Only 100 degrees? Noobs. :P
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Normal summer weather down here in Floriduh.
si vis pacem, para bellum
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

GA is hitting upper 90's and mid 70's at night

whats the deal with Minnesota ?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, around 95, but so humid.

I'm used to dry west coast heat.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

It's a "heat dome", y'all.
"When a high pressure system develops in the upper atmosphere, the air below it sinks and compresses because there's more weight on top, causing temperatures in the lower atmosphere to heat up," he tells the news agency. "The dome of high pressure also pushes the jet stream and its drier, cooler air, farther north — it's now well into Canada — while hot, humid air from the Gulf of Mexico circulates clockwise around the dome, traveling farther inland than normal."
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

D'ohme!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

dissent wrote:It's a "heat dome", y'all.
aka hurricane force field.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

ugh
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

supposed to be hot in Portland today. the hottest day of the Year, a high of 85 :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah high 90's here in GA. I've been taking my boys out for yard work around 1:30 for 2-3 hours. The 15 year old puked and the 11 year old said he was having a heart attack. LOL. Stay in school boys and girls :P.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

flip wrote:Yeah high 90's here in GA. I've been taking my boys out for yard work around 1:30 for 2-3 hours. The 15 year old puked and the 11 year old said he was having a heart attack. LOL. Stay in school boys and girls :P.
I am not a doctor, but heat stroke is a very real thing.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Yes, can be very fatal.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh yep. I've worked in it all my life and I was barely sweating that day, but If you stay hydrated you'll do ok. The oldest one learned to drink more slowly next time :P
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Seriously - if you're in Phoenix with the dry weather, then fine. But places like GA, you're body can't cool off. People die fairly often from it.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah that's why people should acclimate themselves to it. You think it's hot now? You should frame up all the outside walls on a house while the sun beats down on you. Temps jump up considerably then. Easily 130 degrees. Work for 30 minutes and break for 15 :). My kids will not die from being weak and normal summer exposure and even though it's hot as hell here, everyday they last longer in it. The problem is not the heat, it's people not knowing how to deal with it. Drink plenty of fluids and never let yourself dry up. When you start feeling dizzy, go find a waterhose and soak your neck for a few minutes, good as new :). I hope to accomplish 2 things with this, First and foremost, that my kids will hate hard work and stay in school with a real sense of what that kind of work means. Second, that they don't become so damn weak that they fall over and die just from going outside when it's hot. I've spent over 23 years in the hot georgia summer and in single digit cold while the wind was blaring. The cold hurts worse :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Uhhh....again, I am not a doctor, but if you are starting to feel dizzy, you are pushing yourself too hard in the heat.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, yep. It's called feeding the family. Get used to it. I've had many a college graduate that couldn't find a job working for me and I've killed no one yet :P I have had them whine, hide and complain like bitches though. Dude it's the weather and the climate, if you can't hack it move to better conditions, otherwise, get being a pussy and make your self able to cope with it. That means your gonna have to be uncomfortable for awhile until your able to withstand it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Flip, that's the same attitude that's seen football players collapse and die on the practice field from heat stroke. Your body gives you warning signs for a reason, and ignoring them is the absolute worst thing you can do. "Making yourself" do something that can easily cause you severe physical harm is asinine.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, TG, you are something else. You have no idea what your talking about, yet call me asinine. WHATACUNTRY. LOL. It's called conditioning, and I never said ignore warning signs. I told you in 23 years, probably longer than you have been alive, I have killed no one :P. Dude, you should really stress yourself against those that have, you would find it humbling for sure. Is walking a 2x4 wall 3 stories in the air asinine too? because thats how your damn house got built, by people who "make themselves" do ★■◆● most others are too chicken ★■◆● to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtqUNEKXdg

Yall can kiss my country ass :)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

flip wrote:Lol, TG, you are something else. You have no idea what your talking about, yet call me asinine. WHATACUNTRY. LOL. It's called conditioning, and I never said ignore warning signs. I told you in 23 years, probably longer than you have been alive, I have killed no one :P. Dude, you should really stress yourself against those that have, you would find it humbling for sure. Is walking a 2x4 wall 3 stories in the air asinine too? because thats how your damn house got built, by people who "make themselves" do ★■◆● most others are too chicken ★■◆● to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtqUNEKXdg

Yall can kiss my country ass :)
No, TG is right. If youre pushing the kids that hard, to the point where theyre starting to get dizzy, you are pushing them to far. Getting dizzy means damage is being done somewhere such that something in their head isnt functioning right. The automotive equivalent would be redlining it. Sure you'll get more power and performance, but you'll end up blowing something out. And yes, conditioning is all well and good, but there is a point where you push too far, too fast. Slow the ★■◆● down and cut out the "country" toughness ego bull★■◆●. One of these days it will come back to haunt you.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

How can TG be right? I would bet neither one of you have an idea what it's like to work in the heat. Probably as soon as it gets hot, you run to yo momma's couch with some iced tea and play video games all day. When yall are all grown up, you will realize that the power company don't give a ★■◆● how hot it is. You guys are soft, admit it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've worked plenty out in the heat and I can handle myself framing, roofing, digging, trimming, or pushing a mower even in the upper 90s with high humidity, no wind and no shade. So that means that everyone, regardless of how physically (un)fit they are must also be able to do the same. Image

Flip, did you also teach your kids how to swim by throwing them into the ocean with an anchor? And do you plan on teaching them to drive by handing them the keys and telling them to get on the LA freeway during rush hour?

Managing ones body temperature is part of the job when you are working in extreme conditions. Perhaps if you had actually taught them how to properly match their pace to their physical fitness so they could work without compromising their safety we wouldn't be calling your bull★■◆●.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, first off your calling is ★■◆●, because you don't know ★■◆●. You guys assume you know more than you do and that makes me laugh at you :P. My kids are doing fine and wont end up like all you pussies :P LOL. I would bet 100 dollars none of you even have kids or have had anybody under your charge. You think it's easy to get people moving when it's hot? I started framing when I was 15, same age as my oldest is now. From morning till afternoon, hot or cold, I was there. I think it's funny as hell how riled you guys get over me saying I make my kids work 2-3 hours in the heat. I know your type. You last about 1 day and then quit because you can't hack it. It's too cold or too hot and my head hurts or some other weakass excuse, and then wanna jump my ass, WHO REALLY KNOWS, because I have CONTINUOUS YEARS in the weather. You guys are ridiculous thinking you know something about ★■◆● you have never done. Carry on.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Flip, I worked with my Dad in heat for multiple entire summers when I was a teenager. One week in particular I remember it being 110°F+ and humid every day.

There's a huge difference between:
  • "Dad, I'm hot! Why won't you go lemme stop for a while?!" (whining, he'd tell me to keep working)
  • "Dad, I'm starting to feel kinda dizzy..." (danger sign, he'd tell me to go get some water and find shade).
My Dad knew the difference.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah and so do I. This went off on a tangent at "my kids wrok in the sun". All the rest were assumptions based on personal experience I guess.
It's called conditioning, and I never said ignore warning signs
Is this unreasonable?
people should acclimate themselves
Does acclimate sound like throwing someone in the deep end?
Work for 30 minutes and break for 15
does this sound unreasonable?
When you start feeling dizzy, go find a waterhose and soak your neck for a few minutes, good as new
Does this sound unreasonable? Considering I've had to do this daily in the summer for years, I usually recognize it right away, which is why i told my son to go get a drink, his guzzling the water (noob mistake) is what made him throw it back up, but I said that too. I'm done answering unfounded assumptions that are actually dispelled by my own previously written words. I will add this. If you have not worked outside for many years, that makes me the expert here:) and I guess bruised my ego a little because I know EXACTLY what to do and how to do it. I was just making a little comment about using the heat to toughen and wisen my kids up a little bit, and everyone jumps to conclusions that they know exactly what's up. It's ridiculous.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Well then next time you go to tell a story don't make it sound like "Haha I made my kids work in the heat till they almost collapsed from heat exhaustion." because when its told that way it isn't funny.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Whatever youngster, next time, don't jump to conclusions and be a dumbass by assuming I would actually take my children that I love and try and actually kill them. Most, having a little age, experience and kids of their own, probably understood right away what I was saying. Don't take your frustrations out on me.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Let me put this another way so I don't seem to be an ★■◆●. You guys are trying to tell me, someone who is at least a few years older than you and has worked in the sun for some 20 odd years, that heat exhaustion kills. Yeah, no ★■◆●. Next time I assume it's a lighthearted comment. If I talk politics,everybody clams up and won't say ★■◆● :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

So how about that heat, eh?