Dem Sochi Olympics

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Dem Sochi Olympics

Post by Top Gun »

So I wonder what our dear comrade Sigma thinks about the current readiness of Sochi for the influx of athletes and spectators in a few days. Seriously, this thread is pure gold.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Dem Sochi Olympics

Post by sigma »

Of course, I know that. It's really funny. Quote: "Not enough pillows, stray dogs go to hotels." For the Russian people is a common phenomenon, but for foreigners it seems strange :) On the other hand, you have the opportunity to feel yourself Russian for a while. :wink:

But.

First, the Olympic Games open in just two days.
Second, foreign visitors should be happy that the Olympic village was not built in Siberia, and in the Krasnodar region.

Today's weather in Siberia:

Weather in Sochi:

Third, athletes should not be the main disadvantages of a comfortable stay, but fair judging their performances. At least in Russia (USSR) has not yet been a single example of unfair judging of foreign athletes, unlike the U.S. and Europe.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I bet it will be a long time before the Russians are allowed to hold another winter Olympics.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

sigma wrote:Of course, I know that. It's really funny. Quote: "Not enough pillows, stray dogs go to hotels." For the Russian people is a common phenomenon, but for foreigners it seems strange :) On the other hand, you have the opportunity to feel yourself Russian for a while. :wink:
Soooo because you guys are essentially a third-world country, the rest of the world should have to put up with those conditions too, at what is essentially THE premiere recurring global event?
Third, athletes should not be the main disadvantages of a comfortable stay, but fair judging their performances. At least in Russia (USSR) has not yet been a single example of unfair judging of foreign athletes, unlike the U.S. and Europe.
Hahahahaha...you do realize how often the "Russian judge" is used as the punch line of jokes in the rest of the world, right?
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun wrote:
sigma wrote:Of course, I know that. It's really funny. Quote: "Not enough pillows, stray dogs go to hotels." For the Russian people is a common phenomenon, but for foreigners it seems strange :) On the other hand, you have the opportunity to feel yourself Russian for a while. :wink:
Soooo because you guys are essentially a third-world country, the rest of the world should have to put up with those conditions too, at what is essentially THE premiere recurring global event?
You just admitted fascist views of Americans toward peoples of other countries. This is not news . All have long been aware that Americans consider themselves to be "superior " race , while people from other countries are people of the "third grade". Americans are not to blame . It would be foolish to condemn them for it. In the end, the American nation was born of European fugitive criminals who fled to the Americas from the gallows and guillotines in Europe.
Top Gun wrote:
Hahahahaha...you do realize how often the "Russian judge" is used as the punch line of jokes in the rest of the world, right?
What else do you have to in order to justify your corruption? You just have to laugh at the Russian judges who are such fools that each time not only miss out on a great chance to improve their financial situation , but also want to remain independent judges at the Olympics.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

sigma wrote:In the end, the American nation was born of European fugitive criminals who fled to the Americas from the gallows and guillotines in Europe.
I just want to single out this sentence because this is probably what is taught in Russian textbooks and my God that is hilarious.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

sigma wrote: Americans are not to blame . It would be foolish to condemn them for it. In the end, the American nation was born of European fugitive criminals who fled to the Americas from the gallows and guillotines in Europe.

heh? are you confusing America with Australia? Originally, Australia was a pineal colony. It didn't stay that way long though. Much of the United States was settled by folks seeking refuge from religious persecution of various sorts.

As for judges.. lmao.. the Winter Olympics are so "corrupt" it's hardly worth lifting your hand to point a finger. ... you don't have that many fingers anyways. It doesn't matter WHAT country you're from.

Let it go and enjoy the coverage knowing that all those athletes are giving it their all.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Sigma is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the misconceptions people from other countries have about America, although he is an extreme example.

One of the main reasons I don’t worry about what others think about us.

Sigma probably has heard about Cuba letting out their criminals and letting them get to America, and of course there is all that Russian white trash, that seems to have ended up here. :wink: :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

People who flee from discrimination on religious beliefs, do not rob merchant ships and destroy the indigenous population of America, are not engaged in the slave trade. Refugees religious beliefs did not like religion Indians and Negroes? You yourself are not funny? New Americans were notorious bloody bandits for whom religion and law were in last place in their thoughts. Even now, after many centuries, psychology U.S. is little different from morality pirate. Not so what? :lol:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Weak Amerikanz can not into making toilet paper of out of propaganda papers.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

sigma wrote:People who flee from discrimination on religious beliefs, do not rob merchant ships and destroy the indigenous population of America, are not engaged in the slave trade. Refugees religious beliefs did not like religion Indians and Negroes? You yourself are not funny? New Americans were notorious bloody bandits for whom religion and law were in last place in their thoughts. Even now, after many centuries, psychology U.S. is little different from morality pirate. Not so what? :lol:
Determined to hate huh?

oh well

btw, "we" were English and Dutch and German then. Not "Americans". We weren't "Americans" for another 150 years.
Go rail at them. Last I saw, we no longer engage in those activities, although with the head of steam you have, you'll disagree.
And what's that got to do with the Winter Olympics?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

sigma wrote:People who flee from discrimination on religious beliefs, do not rob merchant ships and destroy the indigenous population of America, are not engaged in the slave trade. Refugees religious beliefs did not like religion Indians and Negroes? You yourself are not funny? New Americans were notorious bloody bandits for whom religion and law were in last place in their thoughts. Even now, after many centuries, psychology U.S. is little different from morality pirate. Not so what? :lol:
They don't indoctrinate people in Russia Do they ?? :roll: your Ignorance about America is astounding
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's actually true to some extent TG. That's what England did when they had lost the war. They started taking all their criminals and reprobates, putting them on boats and sending them here. Not a bad idea actually, but I don't think that automatically makes us all criminals as Sigma is suggesting.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, and in any case that was at least 150 years after what Sigma was insinuating, like Duper said.

Also, here's a fun little quote from a Russian official about the Games. See if you can spot the problem:
Dmitry Kozak, the deputy prime minister responsible for the Olympic preparations, reflected the view held among many Russian officials that some Western visitors are deliberately trying to sabotage Sochi's big debut out of bias against Russia. "We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, it's obvious they have been indoctrinated to the point of paranoia. Just read Sigma's posts.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Well there's that, but I was thinking more along the lines of surveillance video of the showers. :D
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hehe, surveillance, just turn Hubble around :P. On a more serious note, one that quite frankly does frighten me a little bit. The limitation to receive and transmit on brainwaves is merely a physical one. I think if you built an antenna long enough, you could get right in people's heads.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Flip was the only one who knows the history of the world . Everyone else is trying to defend their point of view, even if they are not right, not even bothering to study in depth the issue of debate.

I can tell you confidently say that Russian is always friendly to the Americans , but the Americans try not to miss a single chance to prove us otherwise .

Let's leave on time mutual claims and will enjoy a major sports event of the planet. To do this, much has been done in the end .
Since I am a former athlete, I want to be at the Olympics competitors from different countries had for each other only good sports rage .
Olympics Opening today at 20:00 Moscow time .

"Russians bump, set, hit, spike!
That's the way we like to fight!!!" :P

РОССИЯ, вперед!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Well, everything else aside, that was a spectacular show that Russia put on. Though I think there was juuuuust a bit of whitewashing over the 20th-century history portion. :D
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Did I see them take credit for inventing Television? (in the first video)

JFTR TV was invented by an American farmer.

Philo T. Farnsworth
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, well. For the first time since 1998, the host country didn't win any medals of any color on the first day. Way to go Russia. :P

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... r/5316883/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:Did I see them take credit for inventing Television? (in the first video)

Well, we can't really take credit for it either. At that time there were competing "television" technologies being developed simultaneously in Russia, the USA, France, and Germany. Many of the scientists knew each other. And like most new technologies, they were built on previous ones. The lines get blurry sometimes. Note: I only know this because I had to do a report on it in school, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details and I don't feel like digging them up right now (I bet wikipedia can tell me and I'm even to lazy for that tonight).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Spidey wrote:Did I see them take credit for inventing Television? (in the first video)

Philo T. Farnsworth
Farnsworth wasn't really the inventor of the very first television concept, though he was a very important pioneer and was the first to publicly exhibit what we'd consider a "modern" electronic image transmission system. Apparently there were multiple people who had worked on earlier mechanical systems; I think the nod in the opening ceremonies was probably to Boris Rosing and Vladimir Zworykin, since they made important advancements very early on. Thank you Wiki for once again teaching me way more about some random topic than I really cared about knowing.

(Also I came across this picture in the article and immediately laughed. It's Rolf's TV from Ed Edd & Eddy! :D)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The same exact thing can be said about damn near “every” modern invention/inventor.

History tends to denote the person/persons that develop a “practical” working model as the inventor, with the emphasis on practical. Nobody knows who came up with the idea in the first place.

Just look at all of the examples….

Airplane
Light Bulb
Radio
Telephone
The list is endless…

Hell the “Flying Machine” idea had been around for centuries, and was worked on by dozens of people, even those French guys “almost” got it.

The Light Bulb had dozens of models…before one that actually “worked”.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:The same exact thing can be said about damn near “every” modern invention/inventor.
I know. That's the point. It's a silly place to invest national pride.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

So did they take credit or not?

I wasn’t making a “patriotic” statement, but I’m sure they were.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

This Olympic venue sign is hilarious. It was shown on a BBC America comedy show last night. I'm guessing that the Russians maybe lost something in the translation of what they were trying to warn against????? Let's see if sigma "gets" what's so very wrong with this sign's pictograph. :lol:

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah I don't think the ski lift is supposed to work that way either. :D
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No comment from sigma about not showing anything even remotely gay in Russia? Wussie. :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Only a homophobe could read something into that sign… :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Two things come to mind
1) Ram tailbone into seat
2) Vacuum hose
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Only a homophobe could read something into that sign… :P
That's why I wanted to hear sigma's reaction. :P
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

It looks like it poking him/her in his/her ass.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It must feel great to be a Canadian this year. I heard one say "As long as we beat the U.S. I don't care who wins". But brace yourselves... hockey is coming.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:
Spidey wrote:Only a homophobe could read something into that sign… :P
That's why I wanted to hear sigma's reaction. :P
I will not say anything new . In Russia, people with disabilities in sexual orientation is always treated as a very sick , unhappy people , which can only regret . But nobody has touched a finger until the U.S. intervened . Now, people are divided into blue - not blue , now people have to hate each other because of their sexual orientation. Thank provocations U.S. and its European manual doggies . Here everyone knows that LGBT activity in Russia was organized by the money of the United States. When the U.S. stopped spending money on inflating the topic, even the LGBT community to understand that the United States simply for their own interests . Funny and silly it all .
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Isaac wrote:It must feel great to be a Canadian this year. I heard one say "As long as we beat the U.S. I don't care who wins". But brace yourselves... hockey is coming.
I was surprised how well women can play hockey. Perhaps even to gamble women outnumber men. But, of course, with you I'm looking forward to fight men's national teams! :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:I will not say anything new . In Russia, people with disabilities in sexual orientation is always treated as a very sick , unhappy people , which can only regret . But nobody has touched a finger until the U.S. intervened . Now, people are divided into blue - not blue , now people have to hate each other because of their sexual orientation. Thank provocations U.S. and its European manual doggies . Here everyone knows that LGBT activity in Russia was organized by the money of the United States. When the U.S. stopped spending money on inflating the topic, even the LGBT community to understand that the United States simply for their own interests . Funny and silly it all .
Yep, you answered it like I thought you would, although you made no comment about the origin of the sign being from your own country. With homophobic and uninformed degrading language. Sexual orientation a disability. Don't you realize it's your own fears and hatred that's creating all those unhappy gay people? With attitudes like yours, there will never happiness amongst those who differ from you in Russia. Give me a break. :roll:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

For me homosexuality doesn't even come to mind with that sign--that's perverted. It looks like he's got a ski lift up his ass. There should probably be a red "X" over the sign so that it could be seen to show how not to wait for the ski-lift and why. :P

I'll say again, in agreement with Sigma, I think "disability" is the most correct way to understand homosexuality apart from the Bible... except that it'll do about as much good as people do with most other disabilities (mental disabilities, etc).
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:Yep, you answered it like I thought you would, although you made no comment about the origin of the sign being from your own country. With homophobic and uninformed degrading language. Sexual orientation a disability. Don't you realize it's your own fears and hatred that's creating all those unhappy gay people? With attitudes like yours, there will never happiness amongst those who differ from you in Russia. Give me a break. :roll:
you never have occurred to him that in America, too much blue ? And every day they are more and more becoming. American " democracy " promotes the growth of moral and genetic freaks. I can only suspect as you did normal boys blue men. Just do not tell me tales about the absence of critical homosexuality among the highest political and ecclesiastical elite of Europe and the United States . I can not explain this in another way a great desire to make the U.S. political elite unconventional sexual Orientation fixture of American democracy. You wallow in depravity . But the Russian people and will saves to preserve the health of the nation . Calm down, no one here is blue burn at the stake, they can live like normal people. Just do not give LGBT people more rights just because they are LGBT. This is direct discrimination of normal, healthy people!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I agree... there's too much blue in US politics :p