Run you sinners! :P

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Run you sinners! :P

Post by flip »

I mentioned something about this in an earlier thread, being a Christian it has further implications, but it will apply to everyone eventually.
When you read this sentence to yourself, it's likely that you hear the words in your head. Now, in what amounts to technological telepathy, others are on the verge of being able to hear your inner dialogue too. By peering inside the brain, it is possible to reconstruct speech from the activity that takes place when we hear someone talking.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... vm4DtKPKEU
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Run you sinners! :P

Post by Tunnelcat »

As scary as the thought of that technology would be, I seriously doubt they can read full sentences....yet. Would you want certain authority figures reading your thoughts in the near future? Not me. Do humans need that ability? Definitely not. The chances of this being abused are at a 100%.

I've got better telepathy with my husband anyway. I can read his thoughts before he speaks a word, just as he can read mine most times. I think our brains have synched up over the years. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's called being married as one in spirit, very common among married folks ;). Yeah, talk about coercion. Will be impossible to lie, add that in with somebody actually able to transmit on those frequencies too! That will be a severely deluded population.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That begs the question, is there really brain telepathy between 2 people? I've found it only works between people who've known each other for a long time. Maybe the brain waves have to sync up or something.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, I believe we are spirits walking around in dirtbags. So, if we tune into our surroundings, we seem to pick up on a lot more stuff than say, someone who walks around with their heads in the clouds. I think it may even have something to do with that light we produce. Information being passed along as energy. That's why we get bad feelings about some people, good about others.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

tunnelcat wrote:That begs the question, is there really brain telepathy between 2 people? I've found it only works between people who've known each other for a long time. Maybe the brain waves have to sync up or something.
I think you're joking.... but I'm pretty sure it's a combination of learning a person's tenancies and learning how to read their body language.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

snoopy wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:That begs the question, is there really brain telepathy between 2 people? I've found it only works between people who've known each other for a long time. Maybe the brain waves have to sync up or something.
I think you're joking.... but I'm pretty sure it's a combination of learning a person's tenancies and learning how to read their body language.
Perhaps. But our brains do use electrical impulses. Who's to say that the fields generated by those impulses don't extend beyond the body and that they can perhaps be "read" by another person's brain. :wink:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Please don't go flip on us. One is hard enough to handle. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well then, how does Stephen Hawkings talk without moving his lips? You guys are the most unimaginative people I've ever met. Dang, I even posted sources!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

From what I recall, he uses small movements of the parts of his body he does have control of to drive a text-building program - something like that. I haven't heard why "brain scanning" interfaces weren't used - I do know they aren't very good yet, but from experiments I've heard about it sounds like they are sufficiently reliable at pattern-matching to be used for controlling repetitive actions with your brain - which should be enough to design a text input engine for.

Either way, I know no reliable evidence that humans possess the hardware required to read others' minds even on that primitive level. Supposedly some birds can sense magnetism, which gives them an ability to have an in-built "compass" - that wouldn't be nearly sensitive enough to detect brain activity, and we don't even have that.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

flip wrote:Well then, how does Stephen Hawkings talk without moving his lips?
took two seconds to find it.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-computer.html
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Dang it, I guess your right. Why didn't I look on Google for that! It is nothing like this!:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... v8Iv9KPKEV

:P

EDIT: This is no dig at you Sirius.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

flip wrote:Dang it, I guess your right. Why didn't I look on Google for that! It is nothing like this!:

Dunno. Maybe because it's this really obscure search engine by a small company. It's not like it's Bing or anything.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, like you said, took 2 seconds. I love you Ferno!
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I don't know about telepathy and all this, but I think there is alot about the brain and the world(both physical and "non-physical") that we don't yet understand, and likely won't within our lifetimes. That being said... I think that the brain is enough of a biological computer that eventually we will learn to tap and decode it well enough to even record our dreams like a dvr.

Having said that, I think anyone paranoid enough to think that the government cares enough about you to think they'll tap your brain specifically... well, you probably need some help. ;)
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, I don't think it would be personal if they did, it would be mass. A common idea. Only thing you would need is an antenna large enough to transmit on those frequencies. To receive you would have to be much closer I think, so don't get out of line and you would probably be alright. I'm not your normal paranoid either, if you must resort to such labels because I don't give a crap. Let them, I got nothing to hide ;)
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Thats pretty much my philosophy, got nothing to hide. I don't think they need to be prying into everyones business, but I figure if I can't stop them, then they aren't going to get me on anything. I think we're beyond the point where any one person or militia group even would make a difference, which is why they don't really go in and shut them down, because when it came right down to it, unless half of the Actual Military defected, any new "civil-war revolution" type thing would have no chance of success.

But I think that if it can prevent another 9/11 or mass school shooting, then it may not be an entirely bad thing, but I think it goes along the lines of great power/great responsibility - it needs to be overseen somehow so that it is not abused. People are all like invasion of privacy, but I think that privacy is going the way of the dinosaur anyway... look at facebook and twitter and all this, we put our entire lives on the internet anyway. A few clicks can bring up most or all of your vital information... there is no privacy anymore, and I think that is just going to become more and more pervasive as time goes on where eventually we'll end up almost like the borg (maybe not to that extreme, but the idea of their inter-connectivity).

Anyway...
/paranoia mode off
--------------
----------
---Capm
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

We're along the same lines then, although I think it's gonna turn out badly. Just think of the coercion power you could hold over people. People like you and me may not worry, but I bet you there are others who would kill not to have their secrets laid bare. As far as any real resistance, I think the Gospel of Paul will divide every rank.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

flip wrote:...That's why we get bad feelings about some people, good about others.
I don't. But that's part of why I sometimes joke about not having a soul.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That is the one way I can see government surveillance gone overboard really becoming a problem: if you have someone like J. Edgar Hoover running the show, then for anyone who becomes significant - if they don't have normal dirt on them, they can make some. Suddenly that person gets to dictate an awful lot of things from behind the scenes.

That, I guess, could be one of the rationales behind restricting surveillance capabilities and use to what is reasonably necessary and useful: the most likely uses for irrelevant information or information on irrelevant people are in the hands of corrupt officials.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Well, any time they make something for surveillance, there is always a way to counter. Since any technology regarding this would rely on being able to read electrical signals, it will make it very easy to shield from either reading from or writing to the brain. You would nearly have to have direct skin contact to even read (or at very least, be very close by) and writing in the manner you suggest could easily be blocked by a metal helmet or somesuch. Or you could use metallic ink and tattoo a faraday cage on your head (or something like that) ...

either way, there would be ways to counter it.
--------------
----------
---Capm
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's the problem with Faraday cages though, frequencies that low will pass right in and out of it. I'm thinking if It ever gets that bad, and your not strapped to a table!, getting at least neck deep in water might help and first chance you get, start digging!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Capm wrote:Well, any time they make something for surveillance, there is always a way to counter. Since any technology regarding this would rely on being able to read electrical signals, it will make it very easy to shield from either reading from or writing to the brain. You would nearly have to have direct skin contact to even read (or at very least, be very close by) and writing in the manner you suggest could easily be blocked by a metal helmet or somesuch. Or you could use metallic ink and tattoo a faraday cage on your head (or something like that) ...

either way, there would be ways to counter it.
Suddenly the tinfoil hat doesn't seem quite so paranoid, does it?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Be sure to put a tinfoil hat on next time you are walking down the street and you see government agents discreetly trying to read peoples minds with a MRI machine. You can tell it is a MRI machine by looking for the telltale sings, specifically a several ton machine shaped like a giant doughnut spinning terrifyingly fast which sucks up all magnetic materials from a good 10 feet away and wouldn't lose out to a commercial wood chipper in loudness.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

regarding the brain; have any of you guys read the new article in National Geographic?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

LOL Krom

Ferno, no havent, whats it about?
--------------
----------
---Capm
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm with Sirius on this one. Mass reading would be much, much more prohibitive than a mass transmission. Unless of course you end up on a table at Guantaunamo! I could think of so many things to do with HAARP, the possibilities are endless. Give me that thing for one day, and I'd try anything from transmitting on brainwaves all the way to firing a reflected beam off the ionosphere or the moon into dual-pol radar sites. We are just realizing that this whole place is made of atomic pieces that can be broken down and rearranged and that every living thing is a form of light and exists somewhere on the electromagnetic scale. Completely subject to manipulation.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Capm wrote:Ferno, no havent, whats it about?

uh, the... brain?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:Please don't go flip on us. One is hard enough to handle. :P
Flip's a little nutty. I'm just slowly going senile. :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Maybe you need more cholesterol in your diet! :mrgreen:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

flip wrote:Maybe you need more cholesterol in your diet! :mrgreen:
Nope. That would plug up my old ticker, which tends to like it's plumbing free of obstructions.

On a serious note, there was a study that linked DDT exposure to increased chances of getting Alzheimer's in old age. I'm quit sure I was dosed many times with the stuff in the good ol' science knows best fifties. Maybe that's it. :wink:

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/news/20 ... risk-study
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Aww C'mon TC. Go fry you a couple eggs. What could be wrong with an egg? :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

flip wrote:Aww C'mon TC. Go fry you a couple eggs. What could be wrong with an egg? :P
Actually, eggs are a good source of protein. Like anything else, eggs are good for you, in moderation. :wink:

However, my grandfather used to fry his eggs in bacon fat so's they wouldn't stick to the cast iron pan. Tasted real good too, but it probably contributed to my grandmother's eventual fatal heart attack.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, that's how I made egg muffins for years. Fry some bacon, soon as it was done pop some eggs into the grease, by time the eggs were done so was muffins. Although, I patted mine down with paper towels before they went on the muffin.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Mmmmmmmmmm, bacony egg muffins.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Just an update from the cutting edge. I hope some of you have seen this or will watch it. Fascinating, everything single thing is completely subject to manipulation and this has great potential for harm. Not by the people doing it mind you, they can't help themselves, but you would think they would have some kind of inward censor.

http://www.livescience.com/37938-how-hu ... acked.html
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

God will protect my brain from hackers.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That I completely agree with, something about the hair of the head or in other words, cortical theta waves, or in other words scalp EEG. The problem will be when any of these empty shells all start thinking God has finally spoke to them. Imagine the fun you could have if you could throw your voice into someone's head. Find the right person just unstable enough, see how far you could push him.

EDIT: See, I always wondered how Jesus could tell someone they would be killed and in the same breath tell them not a hair on their head would be harmed. Didn't make sense until recently.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.cnnh.org/specialties/diagnos ... hnologies/

There is a little girl here in Georgia that instigated the medical marijuana bill that is fixing to go to the legislature soon that got me thinking about this again. So much for needing the Mri machine. She suffered from severe seizures and by taking marijuana oil, they stopped. I got me thinking, because one thing about marijuana is that it prevents you from entering deep, or REM sleep. That is why most pot heads will tell you they do not dream while under the influence. I think seizures are caused by the brain rapidly switching states, going in and out of consciousness and REM sleep. This handy little gadget is probably gonna help them see that. Might have to wait a year or so to find out if I'm right though.
Brain-computer interface research also includes technology such as EEG arrays that allow interface between mind and machine but do not require direct implantation of a device.)
I was actually looking for a way to link satellites into a huge array for doing the same thing, but transmission, not receiving. So far, I've found nothing about that though.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

flip wrote:...I think seizures are caused by the brain rapidly switching states, going in and out of consciousness and REM sleep. This handy little gadget is probably gonna help them see that. Might have to wait a year or so to find out if I'm right though.
Could be. It's likely that not all seizures are caused by the same things though.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.