Now Available on Steam - Descent

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Now Available on Steam - Descent

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Now Available on Steam - Descent

Post by Duper »

Nice!!

ha! 25 reviews already.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Wow, never expected that to show up on steam, I might buy it even though I still have the definitive collection CDs, the original D2 + Vertigo CDs and the original D1 floppy images in a zip archive somewhere.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If anyone does and cares to drop a review, do please mention the multiplayer bit - it's a strength that not all that many people are aware of, but it's basically why there are still people playing it after 20 years.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks BUBBALOU. That's great news! I'd sold my copies of Descent years ago and was seriously considering trying to find some old disc copies. Now Steam has solved my dilemma. :)
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sirius wrote:...but it's basically why there are still people playing it after 20 years.
Doubtful! I've only played multi-player twice in my life for a total of 20 minutes or so. Yet, I still play the single player campaigns all the time. It's a great game. Look at how many people are downloading rebirth and registering on the forums (695 Members as of today). I would be nice if there were 700 people playing multi-player, but there aren't.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, I don't like Multiplayer that much and I'm still in love of Descent 1 & 2 because of Single-Player up to this date, so Vision has a point.
In fact Descent is such a good game that be for the MP or for the SP, it remains alive because of how badass it is on both sides! :D
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Is the new Steam version graphics accelerated? Doesn't look like it from their sample screenshots.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It is probably emulated in dosbox, just like the copy of Star Wars: Dark Forces I have on steam is.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

It's the same version that is on GOG.COM. You can get ALL the Descent on GOG.COM 1,2,3+exp
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Both Descent and FreeSpace have been on GOG.com almost since its beginning, but because it's been so long I wasn't expecting to see them turn up here. Cool stuff. I already have the Definitive Collection on CD and the GOG.com version, but what the hell, let's toss another one on the pile. :D
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Can this version be modified to run using DXX Rebirth?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

vision wrote:Doubtful! I've only played multi-player twice in my life for a total of 20 minutes or so. Yet, I still play the single player campaigns all the time. It's a great game. Look at how many people are downloading rebirth and registering on the forums (695 Members as of today). I would be nice if there were 700 people playing multi-player, but there aren't.
Ehh... there are a few things to keep in mind. My opinion is that you're in the minority, but it is still an opinion. Some of the reasoning though:

I'm not convinced that there aren't spill-over effects going on. Most of the activity and noise happens in multiplayer; they are the ones doing most of the talking on the active threads about how to improve the game, making new levels, and stuff like that. There are some vocal people from the single-player community (Pumo is one) but don't seem to be as many - most SP people find the mod, play for a month or two, and disappear again.
That activity and noise helps the community to feel more alive; it provides more incentive for the programmers and level designers to keep doing their work, because they know there's an audience for it. They also snowball the size of the community, because players are more interested in returning to the game if they see something to return to. If there hadn't been some appearance of life, therefore, the game might well be basically dead by now - and I'm really not sure single-player would have been enough to sustain it. I'll accept that it might have been, but I still think the odds would be against it.

Also, out of those 700 people, I bet less than 50 are really active. Every forum is mostly dead accounts if it's been around more than a month or two. The pool of active MP pilots is probably about the same size as that - not all are on the Rebirth forums obviously, and that would go for SP too. So it's not huge, but it's still a large part of the active player base.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The Rangers crew is probably the most active D1 (and sometimes D2) active players. And they number something like.. oh..15? (plus or minus)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I love multiplayer. But I do not like Steam lags because of server overload due to the large number of players. Sometimes it is simply impossible to play there because of the bad connection. Nevertheless, I hope that the appearance of Descent in Steam will help popularize this one of the best games of Steam users. It's great, actually. :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The Rangers currently have 65 "active" members, although around a third of them aren't really what I would consider active.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It's fun seeing familiar faces in the discussion area. I need to hit up a few friend requests.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I was amazed, 8 games happening at the same time today! Never seen that many on the tracker.
A lot of new people in those games as well.
Eh?
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Blarget tells me he found that Descent 2 is supposedly to be released and put on sale as soon as the Descent 1 sale ends and that apparently Descent 3 will be in added after that. I don't remember his sources though, something about some Descent 2's Steam page data being somehow mixed into Descent 1's Steam page? I've slept since he told me.
We will not have signatures in the future.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

if only the multiplayer aspect was linked in steam for all 3 - that would be choice

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Duper wrote:The Rangers crew is probably the most active D1 (and sometimes D2) active players. And they number something like.. oh..15? (plus or minus)
DCL is also pretty active.

Rangers server tends to have 15+ people on most evenings and weekends.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Lothar wrote:
Duper wrote:The Rangers crew is probably the most active D1 (and sometimes D2) active players. And they number something like.. oh..15? (plus or minus)
DCL is also pretty active.

Rangers server tends to have 15+ people on most evenings and weekends.
Thanks Lothar. You read my mind.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Descent 2 now available on Steam!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hmm...I was willing to buy an extra copy of D1 for just $3.50, but I'm not about to spend $10 on something I already own twice. Maybe when it's on sale.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I don't get the pricing either. It's not really 50% better than D1. I guess there are more levels for it, but... that's kind of pushing it for an excuse.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sirius wrote:It's not really 50% better than D1.
:P It has 100% more weapons!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Looks like these gals had something to do with all this..

https://www.facebook.com/OldeSkuul

Nice!
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Yep. It seems they're doing an enhanced re-release that will have some upgraded graphics and full Steam functionality, including use of its services for internet play.

If anyone knows about my enhanced Pyro-GX model for D2, Rebecca Heineman from Olde Skuul has contacted me about using it for the updated versions, asking for permission to use it and saying that if they do use it, I will be credited for creating the model.
We will not have signatures in the future.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That would be pretty cool - I do wonder where the resources are going to come from though. Making updates to Descent is not a small task, especially if it involves revising art assets.
...though, there was that probably-defunct Wii version of Descent that seemingly had textures redrawn in higher resolution. They'd still have access to those assets. There would need to be some programming work, but... theoretically they could have been doing stuff without us knowing about it.

Just that, if they are only starting now, it's not going to happen anytime soon. The Descent codebase is not exactly the easiest thing to modernize, doubly so if they aren't starting from an existing source port.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Pumo wrote:Well, I don't like Multiplayer that much and I'm still in love of Descent 1 & 2 because of Single-Player up to this date, so Vision has a point.
In fact Descent is such a good game that be for the MP or for the SP, it remains alive because of how badass it is on both sides! :D
+1
I've spent many hours of playing single-player in Descent 1 and II. Longer than multiplayer because I missed enemy players with lasers too much. XD
MD1985