Anime Trippin into Real life.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Well, thats... interesting...

Post by Capm »

Vocaloid? I stumbled onto this the other day, what is your opinion of this?

--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Anime Trippin into Real life.

Post by Duper »

[mod note: 2 separate threads merged together]

Ok, I think I found a corner of the internet what while it's "work safe".. may be about all that it is.

Odd stuff here. Amazing in some ways, but the fact you have a horde of fans ...I dunno. :)

Enjoy. .. I think....

[youtube]GwRo8fQtqpE[/youtube]
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Anime Trippin into Real life.

Post by sigma »

It is magical, guys....

Probably you already know, but I'll give again the link to the video that I love very much.

[youtube]X2sWWj9RjeQ[/youtube]
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That's funny Capm. We totally ran into the same thing nearly the same time. :mrgreen:

If I wasn't aware of the level of obsession that goes with this stuff, I don't think it would bother quite like it does.
My question is, is this pre-rendered animation or is it motion capture of the singers back stage or something similar?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

AFAIK, it's pre-rendered.

I've been into this Vocaloid stuff since some years ago already, firstly because I learned about the first few (not anime-style) Vocaloid packs due to my musical research (as I use VSTs and stuff for making music).
Later, since 2007 I learned about the new anime-styled Vocaloid trend, partly because I'm an Anime fan and also due to my job (as I work as a dealer of anime/comic/videogame related goodies on a monthly commercial anime & comic fan convention). ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Did some digging. The "gal"/band is rather popular and there are a number of anime song vids on the web. Most based around the game "Diva Project" (1 & 2 respectively). Cut scenes if I understand what I saw. There is also a couple film shorts for their songs that are actually quite good from some of the singles from the "Reboot" album.

[youtube]gxmkM02NfV8[/youtube]

and

[youtube]T5QGSWBLkUo[/youtube]

That piece of paper he's given is his graduation diploma.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Duper, that is funny that we both ran into it so close together! :P

I can't believe they're having such large concerts - that blows my mind - its definitely not just some niche thing in Japan, its all over.

I would think that if it is pre-rendered, they wouldn't be too far behind with live motion capture to be interactive with the crowd. You can already see the upgrades they've made in the last several years going from a more jagged lower-resolution projection/hologram(whatever it is) to a smoother, sharper image in more recent vids.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

You may not have realised you were exposed to the vocaloid characters in years past.

My kinect-hacks thread from ~3 years ago touched on it: http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=276873#p276873
Article link is broken so here's a working archive link instead, or skip the article and just go straight to the video:
[youtube]WDlvn3voblQ[/youtube]
ps: the quality has gotten better in the years since, there's more fun stuff on their channel. IIRC i've got the MMD (Miku Miku Dance program) developer's youtube channel in my list somewhere, if you want to watch tweaks in progress, but i'd have to dig around for it (too many subs argh!).

You may have seen the popular 2007 Miku version of leekspin, It's why the audience in OPs' videos are holding leeks.
[youtube]kbbA9BhCTko[/youtube]

IIRC the music behind Nyan cat was also a vocaloid thing. (original rainbow-cat pixelart were by the hilarious dork lolcomics)
[youtube]QH2-TGUlwu4[/youtube] [youtube]s3kMS4S166U[/youtube]

phew.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Roid. Kinda yeah. I knew it went back a little ways, but wasn't sure how far.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I can't say I really understand the appeal myself. She's sure as hell no Sharon Apple.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Welp, gotta Necro this.

I was doing a bit more digging ...for something else.. and ran into this.

There's a lot that's being discussed in this 10 minute vid, but it give a rather brief but succinct history of Hatsune Miku.

Clik!

The underlying implications of open source and mass consumption is staggering.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I don't come here that often anymore, but when I do, there is always something interesting posted.

Thanks Duper, that was a really good video.
Why doesn't it work?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Finally got around to watching that video (Yay for vacation!). I've heard of Hatsune Miku before, but I hadn't heard that it was open source. When you think about it, this is really the beginning of the end for the MPAA/RIAA, these industries and corporations have spent the better part of the last century gobbling up and controlling pop culture. Every time the market place evolved a bit, they lobbied and legislated and tried their best to stop it or lock it down under ever tighter controls. But they have absolutely no answer that can keep them relevant in the face of open source characters, the whole MPAA/RIAA way of doing business simply becomes outdated once this gets traction. Copyright is supposed to protect popular culture, but right now it has been twisted and abused to the point where it is instead suffocating popular culture.

Mickey Mouse is going to die, drowning in an abyss called copyright, and Hatsune Miku will be singing at the funeral.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well said Krom. That is what ... wait.. this message can contain 60K characters??!!! :shock:

ALRIGHT! LETS test that!!!

(ok, let's not) oh sorry, where was I? ...um.. anno...

Oh yeah. It's kinda one of the things that was mulling around in the back of my head when I was watching it. It's a bit mind blowing.