Funniest unintended nerd pickup line ever

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Funniest unintended nerd pickup line ever

Post by Tunnelcat »

My husband got a Christmas card from an old female co-worker he knew as a freshman in college the other day. She wrote to him about a funny little conversation that they'd had while they were at work. He broke up laughing and I had to ask him why.

My husband started out as a freshman in mechanical engineering. He was fascinated by mechanisms and linkages. One day at work, he was discussing with her his attempts to find a new apartment to rent. He hated the dorm and wanted a new place. She told him to come over to her building and take a look and see if he would be interested in a currently vacant apartment. When he went over, she showed him what her own apartment looked like before he talked to the manager.

Well, lo and behold, her apartment had a Murphy Bed. He spied it and decided that he wanted to see what the mechanism for the bed looked like and how it worked since he was fascinated with linkages. No sexual intent on his part for the next bit, he swears. So what comes out of his mouth all innocent like? He asks:

"Can I take a look at your bed?"

Oops! :lol:

When he got that Christmas card all these years later, he FINALLY realized what he'd said, because she told him in her card that it came off as something totally different back when he said it. Even funnier, she kept her mouth shut, showed him the bed and he never realized how she perceived his request until NOW. :lol:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Funniest unintended nerd pickup line ever

Post by Foil »

Us guys don't know what we're saying, half the time.

I'll still never live down a conversation when my wife Michelle and I had just started dating. We were talking on the phone, and I was honestly trying to say that I wasn't sure if I was ready for a relationship or not. But the way it came out was more like, "I, uh, don't know if I want to date you anymore..."

I had no clue how I had sounded, until I called her again sometime later, and she was completely surprised to hear from me. :)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Well, the biggest shock for me was when I made a lot of effort to get acquainted with a very beautiful girl, and when I did it, she said that she was a boy.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

SO TC, I'm guessing the same thing happened when he came over to your place? You said "Sure!".... done-married!
:lol:

great story, and that is so true. I had similar things happen with my wife and I over the years. I'd turn around and she'd have this incredulous look on her face.. and all I could say is "what??" :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, not quite that way. But being married to a nerd is different. They have a quirky way of expressing emotions, which you have to get used to in order to avoid misunderstandings. They sometimes don't realize something they're saying can be taken totally the wrong way. He really got red faced telling me this story too, but I thought it was funny and sweet. He really didn't know that what he said all those years ago was really embarrassing. :lol:

I remember him inviting me to the OSU computer lab when we were in college and him getting all excited like a little kid and hoping I would get excited too. Nah. Back, then, computers weren't very exciting to me. Ancient computers that had to be started with switch flips and then fed bootstrap loaders contained on rolls of punch tape just to get it up and running for more useful programming tasks. Star Trek played with punch cards, and small CRT black and white or green vector graphics seemed droll. Today, GAMES are colorful, beautiful and engaging, so NOW I'm interested in computers! He laughs at me when I say that! He even remembers the first game that finally got me interested in computers, Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator. It was only 3 colors on a small CRT, but it was great.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
MalaksBane
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MalaksBane »

While funny, the 'fault' is with the interpretation of what was said.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I had a female estimator working for me a few years ago, middle age, attractive.
She came back into the shop looking for a vehicle we were working on, a pick up truck that we were repairing the bed side. she walked into the middle of a group of 4 bodymen and asked "has anyone seen my box?" :shock:

then two weeks later she came back looking for another vehicle and walked into the same group of techs looking for a vehicle for a customer with an unfortunate last name, and said "which one of you has Seamen" it embarrassed one guy so much he turned bright red and had to walk away. :P :lol:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:lol:

Ouch! I get the impression she was a little "over focused"? :mrgreen:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:I had a female estimator working for me a few years ago, middle age, attractive.
She came back into the shop looking for a vehicle we were working on, a pick up truck that we were repairing the bed side. she walked into the middle of a group of 4 bodymen and asked "has anyone seen my box?" :shock:

then two weeks later she came back looking for another vehicle and walked into the same group of techs looking for a vehicle for a customer with an unfortunate last name, and said "which one of you has Seamen" it embarrassed one guy so much he turned bright red and had to walk away. :P :lol:
Oh, I've worked in all male environments and I know how that innuendo stuff goes....NOW at least. Back when I was in college, not so much. One summer, while working for college money, I worked as a marine mechanic for a local boat shop. One of my duties was to lubricate prop shafts for inboard/outboard and outboard engine setups, so that the props wouldn't corrode and weld themselves onto the shaft while in use. I must have had a very, "ehem" erotic way of lubing those shafts because the guys who worked with me went absolutely bonkers. I being all innocent, was clueless. I WAS wondering why they were staring and laughing, until my co-worker pointed out what it looked like. Oooooooooh! :wink: :lol: Once I found out how my method looked, I started doing it on purpose just to create some entertainment around the place. It made it a much better workplace to joke about something like that than to do something like cry sexual harassment or some other BS. Plus, the guys were pretty good about making it a running joke and nothing serious. Best and nicest group of guys I ever worked with. The main boss at that place, now HE was a creep. Fortunately, I didn't have to work with him around most of the time.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Do you have a video of your technique there tunnelcat? j/k! :mrgreen: :twisted2:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I could make one, but I don't happen to have a handy outboard or stern drive unit to show you how it's done. But I'm sure you could use your imagination with ol' Rosy palm. :P
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

True Story: I have a regular baber shop that I go to for a haircut. He is old-school. But he is also Old, and many times leaves at lunch just because. So when I get off work, he is often not there.

at the mall with the wife, they have a "Beauty Salon". Never been to a Beauty Salon, always a baber shop or super cuts. Notice the only people who work there are women, only customers are women. Only product on the selves are targeted towards Women.

In my wifes presence, I walk up to the counter, and ask the nice lady.....

"Do you service Men?"

I heard a Gasp from behind me (The wife) and turn around to see her leaving. Took me a second to realize how that sounded.. so i followed up with.. "You know.. For a hair cut"

I am accidentally creepy sometimes that it is actually funny.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Good one! :lol:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:True Story: I have a regular baber shop that I go to for a haircut. He is old-school. But he is also Old, and many times leaves at lunch just because. So when I get off work, he is often not there.

at the mall with the wife, they have a "Beauty Salon". Never been to a Beauty Salon, always a baber shop or super cuts. Notice the only people who work there are women, only customers are women. Only product on the selves are targeted towards Women.

In my wifes presence, I walk up to the counter, and ask the nice lady.....

"Do you service Men?"

I heard a Gasp from behind me (The wife) and turn around to see her leaving. Took me a second to realize how that sounded.. so i followed up with.. "You know.. For a hair cut"

I am accidentally creepy sometimes that it is actually funny.

Just imagine how the reaction would be if you spoke with a guy.