I think I'm addicted to watching FPV quadcopter videos.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

I think I'm addicted to watching FPV quadcopter videos.

Post by Isaac »

Ever since someone here linked that one video with racing multicopters, I've been getting more and more interested in a hobby that makes my other expensive hobbies look cheap.

To anyone with no clue what I'm talking about, someone here posted this link, which shows a bunch of french people in the woods, racing around. That video got me hooked on watching other videos like it. Here's a great video with lots of racing from the Netherlands, I believe:

[youtube]lQuEgVNAQhE[/youtube]

Personally, I never had much interest in RC flying craft because single rotor copters and planes weren't really designed to race around tight enclosed spaces. They'd fail catastrophically when clipping a tree or pole. The quadcopters, however, seem to do great against hitting stuff. Now I'm really interested, because my fantasy of diving through tunnels and bushes with an RC plane is now real!

Here's an example of how tough these quadcopters can be. Notice when they go through the brush, they knock the crap out of some foliage:

[youtube]70pusNNunMA[/youtube]

This is better that actually flying in some ways, because you can get a lot more reckless and do stuff you've only seen in Starwars. (...Endor...)

On top of all that, I'm learning that some people found a way to control their quads with a PC joystick, which I'd prefer over the conventional RC plan transmitter, with its pinchy sticks.

Is anyone building a racing multicopter? Are you using blackout parts?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: I think I'm addicted to watching FPV quadcopter videos.

Post by sdfgeoff »

Yup, FPV quads for the win.

Unfortunately i don't have the resources to maintain a quadcopter, (and some annoying regulations wherer i live) so instead i do fpv cars. Not as cool as flyey things, but a hang of a lot of fun whizzing around at scale 300kph.

Maybe in a few years when they've sorted out the legal side and i have a little more disposable income...
Eh?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Yeah, I'm worried about the future of our FAA restrictions in the future, here in the U.S.

I've seen a few of your videos. It looks like fun!

One of my favorite quadcopter channels is in Australia. Where are you?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've been off and on flying an RC helicopter for quite a few months actually, I own a fixed pitch micro (single rotor) and I have a simulator for everything else. I think the reason behind the use of quads for this is because it is a little easier to design one to weather a crash, they don't require the same mechanical tolerances nor are they quite as weight critical, so they can afford flexible/springy frames with snap together joints and stuff like that.

Another reason for using quads is probably because even though a full blown single rotor collective pitch RC helicopter is a LOT faster than a quadcopter, a forward facing camera in one wouldn't be very useful. Because in the right hands a collective pitch RC can seemingly defy all kinds of physics and common sense:

[youtube]l5FqYiZb_5s[/youtube]

[youtube]uyTIN9IvF1Y[/youtube]

Probably the biggest reason why collective pitch helicopters have such strict weight and mechanical tolerances are because the energy requirements to pull off these kinds of stunts are pretty absurd, they chew through a pretty big battery pack in just a few minutes. It was a fairly recent development where they figured out how to build batteries which could hold an energy hog like a collective pitch RC helicopter airborne for a worthwhile duration and not explode from the massive discharge rate. (Your typical li-poly battery like for your smart phone or tablet would not fare very well if you tried to discharge it from a full charge to empty in just 4-6 minutes, in fact they would literally explode and vent a column of flame out the side for 20-30 seconds if you could even pull that kind of current.) Once they had the batteries for it, electric started showing up as the best option for competitions and stunts because it has a better power to weight ratio than nitro or gasoline types even if it can't stay airborne for quite as long (yet).
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom, why do those kinds of helicopters still try to resemble real helicopters, with a fake windshield? Why not just throw away the decorative plastic?

That's another thing that I like about these new multi-copters. They're not trying to look like anything or represent a bigger vehicle, save a few exceptions. But for the most part multiroter RCs are suppose to look like multirotor RCs.

ImageImage
more:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

They are flying devices after all, aerodynamics are still relevant to the design. The cover helps smooth out the drag from what would otherwise be a bunch of wires, circuit boards and a brick shaped battery.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Star Wars meets quadcopters. Way cool.

http://www.cnet.com/news/imperial-star- ... ve-france/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

So this thread got me thinking, and finally I went out last weekend and bought a Blade mCP X BL collective pitch micro helicopter. It is a totally different beast than the fixed pitch I was flying before. Its pretty fun, but a little scary when it spools up, thing sounds like some kind of circular saw from hell when it gets going at around 6000 RPM. All that extra power makes it pretty crazy inside, but does actually let it fly outside in some wind.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:So this thread got me thinking, and finally I went out last weekend and bought a Blade mCP X BL collective pitch micro helicopter. It is a totally different beast than the fixed pitch I was flying before. Its pretty fun, but a little scary when it spools up, thing sounds like some kind of circular saw from hell when it gets going at around 6000 RPM. All that extra power makes it pretty crazy inside, but does actually let it fly outside in some wind.
Is it like a rocket?

tunnelcat wrote:Star Wars meets quadcopters. Way cool.

http://www.cnet.com/news/imperial-star- ... ve-france/
Cool stuff!

However, have you seen the hellicarrier quad that actually lets smaller RC air craft land and take-off from it?

[youtube]0u7CWB40ezM[/youtube]
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I intended to attach a video to my previous post in this thread, but it appears I forgot, so here's a sampler of the ground-based FPV:
[youtube]2JamKGiSbEc[/youtube]
Eh?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sdfgeoff wrote:I intended to attach a video to my previous post in this thread, but it appears I forgot, so here's a sampler of the ground-based FPV:
[youtube]2JamKGiSbEc[/youtube]

I was watching your video then I had a panic attack. First of all, I love your video. Great music. I hope you post more. I was watching it then I thought I saw your avatar eye blink out of the coroner of my eye and it freaked me out, because I don't know if I really saw it or not. I kept watching your avatar instead, but nothing happened. Then I kept watching the video and I thought I saw it blink again. Once again, it was out of the corner of my eye. I don't know if it's blinking or if I'm losing my mind. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :o
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I would like to put there not toy pilots, and live frogs or mice, for example. It would be much more fun ...
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sigma wrote:I would like to put there not toy pilots, and live frogs or mice, for example. It would be much more fun ...
Yes, I'm sure they'd love that.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Isaac wrote:
sigma wrote:I would like to put there not toy pilots, and live frogs or mice, for example. It would be much more fun ...
Yes, I'm sure they'd love that.
Yes, you're right, it's too cruel. It would be better to drop the dogs in the water like a bomb, for example :lol:

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:So this thread got me thinking, and finally I went out last weekend and bought a Blade mCP X BL collective pitch micro helicopter. It is a totally different beast than the fixed pitch I was flying before. Its pretty fun, but a little scary when it spools up, thing sounds like some kind of circular saw from hell when it gets going at around 6000 RPM. All that extra power makes it pretty crazy inside, but does actually let it fly outside in some wind.
You could do this if you bought 2 bigger model helicopters instead of one micro helicopter. :wink:

[youtube]77uK19KxMuI[/youtube]
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Now we go charpu speed.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Ferno wrote:Now we go charpu speed.

I love watching his FPV footage. He was in one of the first FPV quad racing videos I saw. There's this amazing video of him at an abandoned building (here it is: I really really want to build a quad like his.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

wheeee

[youtube]tjzbPvQBzK4[/youtube]
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Ferno wrote:wheeee

[youtube]tjzbPvQBzK4[/youtube]
That's crazy awesome
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I made this video about wanting a blackout mini h quad
[youtube]wSlgtlEP9_A[/youtube]
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Krom wrote:Because in the right hands a collective pitch RC can seemingly defy all kinds of physics and common sense:
In my hands the helicopter would have done this: lift off, veer in some crazy direction, crash.

Also, check out the 3D ultralight planes... people can do some pretty cool stuff with those, too.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The ultimate quadcopter, the hoverbike. Just the toy for Issac. :wink:

http://www.gizmag.com/closer-look-mallo ... ike/33414/
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:Also, check out the 3D ultralight planes... people can do some pretty cool stuff with those, too.
[youtube]WprH5W6L9e8[/youtube]
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

[youtube]UzlZuO_KCvc[/youtube]
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

[youtube]NSbbYLvnG9I[/youtube]
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Man, watching that last one, I really want a qav or blackout...