Olympia Gold (Video Game) Survey

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Olympia Gold (Video Game) Survey

Post by Deathwinger »

Hey Guys,

I was looking at some old Descent 3 videos on YouTube and I stumbled across the link for the Descent Underground project. I had no idea that there was a group of like minded individuals working on a full fledged game that is going to be exactly like Descent except with an appeal for a new and older generation of gamers.

I'm also extremely pleased by the response the project has had. Never did I think so many people were interested in seeing the revival of Descent and far less supporting via crowdfunding. It really made me see there was still life with 6DoF.

Back in the days of Descent I used to do some level design and mod development, one of which was Olympia Gold. A racing mod that people seemed to enjoy when we released the third edition for Descent 3.

As time has passed, I've gone into other media development (films and advertising). I've always wanted to revive my own projects from long before, but I was never sure of the interest.

However, I would like to bring back Olympia Gold, perhaps not right now as a full fledged PC game (like the amazing work these guys are doing for Descent Underground) but more so as a mobile video game, one that would introduce players to the concept of it and hopefully to the 6DoF style gameplay.

I've created a survey and I'd like to get some feedback and research from as many people as possible who may share this interest. If I get enough positive feedback, I will proceed have this game produced and keep alive the 6DoF video game movement in my own way.

Here is the link to the survey http://kwiksurveys.com/s/BwdDpp2S

Much appreciated people and I look forward to your responses :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Olympia Gold (Video Game) Survey

Post by Foil »

Having done some graphics development on mobile (iOS and WinRT) platforms, I've often dreamed about making a good 6DoF game for the tablet/phone environment...

...but I've never been able to work out a decent 6DoF control scheme that works in that scenario.

If you can work that out, without sacrificing the ability to simultaneously move on all six axes (that's a 6DoF essential), I'd be pumped.
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Thanks for your support and thanks for submitting to the survey :)

I admit, if I go down that route, its going to be a challenge, but I believe that there is something that I will figure out that will allow for this experience. I'm still in the process of commissioning a good team to go forward with for this project so that will be one of the challenges they will be facing with me.

With the overwhelming response to the survey of people looking forward to such a game, I think it will be worth the effort. :)
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

What about rotating the phone?
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Rotating the phone/tablet works for the three rotational axes, yes. The problem is that for it to be 6DoF, you have three more thrust axes to design controls for, requiring (at least) two controls on the surface.

...Add in the need for firing controls, and you've gone beyond a handheld rotation + thumbs control system. I'm not sure that will work well for a phone/tablet.

------

With that said, a 3DoF racing game (i.e. you can yaw/pitch/roll any direction at all, thrust is always forward with speed boosts or something) could work really really well.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Burly - get in touch w. me :)
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

Very good idea Foil.

Thanks for the tip and the answers for the surveys people.

Development on the mobile app is underway. :)