Tips for returning pilot: rolling

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

MichaelAngelo
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Tips for returning pilot: rolling

Post by MichaelAngelo »

I've been having trouble incorporating rolling into my descent gameplay.

I used to play with my trusty Gravis PC Pro (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... SX425_.jpg)

...along with my keyboard for WSAD horizontal movement, shift and left ctrl for up/down and Q and E keys for rolling. Now this meant that I couldn't' effectively strafe and roll simultaneously which I see is pretty key to fluid movement.

I now play with my mouse instead of the joystick, but still haven't figured out how to set up the controls to allow for fluid and simultaneous rolling and strafing. (like this guy!

I've bought a Logitech Freedom wireless joystick with a twist handle. But the twist handle is almost unbearably awkward and I always have some involutary twist whenever i'm trying to do straight pitch and yaw movements. It really throws off my aim! I really liked the gravis joystick for its low profile, but it lacked twist.

Do you guys think those years on the Gravis are to blame for this awkwardness on the logitech stick or is there an alternative stick you could suggest that still has twist but would be more similar to what i'm accustomed to?

Thanks! Looking forward to getting back into the scene with all these remakes coming out.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Tips for returning pilot: rolling

Post by Tunnelcat »

2 joysticks?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.